It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator McCain says Iraq tough but aint no Vietnaaaam.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=Ap2B5XNdr6aav6wQyJxUnmxX6GMA;_ylu=X3o'___'BiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US Senator John McCain said that while the US fight to end Iraq's insurgency is "tough," it in no way compares to the US war in Vietnam more than a generation ago.

"I still don't believe there's a good comparison to Vietnam," said McCain, a former Navy pilot who was held there as a prisoner of war for more than five years.

"This was primarily a nationalist movement that we saw in Vietnam, although it had trappings of Communism," he told NBC television.

"The people of Iraq, I think, showed they want to govern themselves by the election," he continued, saying he sees "significant progress" in some areas.

"I think democracy and freedom is spreading throughout the Middle East. I think it's a direct result of the events in Iraq, at least partially," said McCain, who said on a scale of one to 10, he would give the US effort in Iraq a "six."

"The key to it is patience," McCain added.

"The key to it is telling the American people it's going to be long and it's going to be hard and difficult. And we can and must win," he said.

of course there are those who disagree with him.

McCain remarks were in sharp contrast to those of another prominent Senate Republican, Chuck Hagel, who in a magazine interview this week slammed the Bush administration's Iraq policy as "disconnected from reality."

"The reality is that we're losing in Iraq," Hagel today US News and World Report, in some of the harshest comments on the war so far from a member of the president's party.

of course i dont believe we are losing the war, but i dont believe we are winning soon either. of course each war is different and it is bad to compare this war to Vietnam, i remember people who called Afghanistan as America's next Vietnam just prior to invasion in 2001, people like to compare this war to Vietnam to scare people into believing we cant win because Vietnam was the only war we ever lost. so wenever we fight a war sombody, maybe those who has opposing views of a president or is anti war says Vietnam and we all duck and scoot.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I think people liken it to Vietnam not because of our "loss" there (if you can call it that, we smashed their faces in casuality wise) but due to the "quagmire" we seem to have a knack for getting ourselves into. Vietnam started with military advisors, escalated into troops and we got stuck there wayyyy longer than we wanted to.

Iraq is much the same way, we have conquered most of the cities and yet internal insecurity has kept us there and have kept the casualties consistant. They are alike in that sense though, in my humble opinion.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Terrorism is a idea not a country, group, reliligon so it would take like at least 50+ years to get rid of terrorism... but
i hope i am wrong
and that dude is right
another vietnam is baaaaaad for everybody

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ulshadow
Terrorism is a idea not a country, group, reliligon so it would take like at least 50+ years to get rid of terrorism.

Getting rid of terrorism is an oxymoron. It is unriddable, like racism and the illegal drug trade.

new topics

join