It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potatos Have Rights, Too!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Well, I thought I had heard it all.

According to the Times of London, farmers in the UK are upset with the term "couch potato" for someone who is lazy and watches TV all the time. The reason? It makes potatos seem unhealthy and is a detrement to the potato industry. The solution they propose is to officially change the term to a "couch slouch".

I guess everyone's jumping on the offensive bandwagon. Pretty soon we'll probably hear from sucker manufacturers complaining that the slang term "sucker" for someone who believes a lie is bad news for the sucker industry and it needs to be changed.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
It makes potatos seem unhealthy and is a detrement to the potato industry. The solution they propose is to officially change the term to a "couch slouch".

that's pretty stooopid. Folks in the potato industry must not have enuff to do.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I'd always heard that there is no bad press. Every time I say, "Oh crap, that sucks!" I think, hey, you know what? I could really go for a sucker while I'm sitting on the throne!

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The really sad thing is that someone probably got paid money to come up with this stupid idea and more than likely some poor government employee is going to have to spend the taxpayer's time and money to deal with it, even if it's just to laugh at the farmers directly to their faces.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Well, some poor fool at least spend their time and their paper's money to write an article about it already. I wonder if the farmers hired a marketing firm to come up with "couch slouch" or if they came up with that one on their own.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   

It makes potatos seem unhealthy and is a detrement to the potato industry.

If you've reached that point in life, why bother opening your mouth? Just do us all a favor and go live in a bearcave.

Couch slouch does have a nice ring to it, though.

[edit on 6/21/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I wonder if the farmers hired a marketing firm to come up with "couch slouch" or if they came up with that one on their own.

Undoubtedly!

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

It makes potatos seem unhealthy and is a detrement to the potato industry. The solution they propose is to officially change the term to a "couch slouch".

that's pretty stooopid. Folks in the potato industry must not have enuff to do.

That's what happens when stupid people have nothing better to ocuppy their time with. Reminds me when people started naming "french" fries "freedom" fries after 9/11 just so they could stick it to the French. As if the French gave a rat's ass.

top topics

join