It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the "blaster virus" be a tool of the new world order?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 08:23 PM
link   
www.nipc.gov...

I'm not installing anything on my computer recommended by Department of Homeland Security

Anyone feel that microsoft patch may be some sort of "big brother" software?

Creating a wide-spread virus, then offering a simple solution, sounds like a pretty good way to get computer users to blindly install some patch they know nothing about it.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Hmm link seems to be broken, so i'm not 100% on this. But are you talking about the red worm that crashed systems as it infected them?

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Well Windows ME is not on the list, so I am safe and un-Big Brothered

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 12:57 AM
link   
very good question that's been posed...how DO unsuspecting users know...and the answer is THEY DON'T...

bottom line...Homeland Security will get their claws on the internet any way they can..and i DO NOT believe that they are beyond the idea of HACKING computers all over the world and blaming it on someone/something else...

of course, anyone that does not have Windows 2000 or higher...or even the Windows system, will be dealt with in just as a creative way as those that have been effected by LoveSan and Blaster...we'll just have to wait and see how long it takes and how CREATIVE our illustrious government can be...

Bring it on Big Brother...'cause we KNOW..and we're watching with eyes wide open...

PEACE

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Well i think the code red worm was real, or at least i have it on good authority that that part is real. Heres a whole lot more info for you.

The fast-spreading "MSBlast" worm seems to be crashing as many Windows computers as it's infecting, demonstrating to administrators that they need to patch their systems, security experts said Monday.
By midafternoon Monday, the worm had infected at least 7,000 computers in a matter of hours, according to data provided by security company Symantec. Still, security experts stressed that the program had several flaws that had slowed its spread.

"You are not going to see the rapid uptake of Slammer. However, it could easily be as large as Code Red," said Symantec's senior director of engineering, Alfred Huger, referring to the lightning-fast Slammer worm, which hit Microsoft SQL servers in January, and the Code Red worm, which gobbled up servers in July 2001.

The Code Red worm spread slowly at first, then quickly, after someone modified the program to fix a flaw in its code. Huger said it was likely that an online vandal would take on the task of modifying MSBlast as well.

"I think there is a really strong chance that this will be modified and re-released, if not today, then this week," Huger said. "It's very simple to unpack and very simple to modify."

The introduction of the MSBlast worm ends nearly a month of speculation over when a programmer would commit the obvious crime of writing a worm to take advantage of a vulnerability in a widely used feature of Microsoft Windows. The worm pieces together code to exploit the most recent major flaw in Windows with publicly available tools, such as the Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) server.

The worm is also known as W32.Blaster and W32/LuvSan.

The worm could turn out to be quite an irksome bug for Microsoft. It reinforces the notion that despite the software giant's 18-month-old Trustworthy Computing initiative, Microsoft software still has security issues. And it also aims to attack the company's network directly. Starting on Aug. 16, every computer infected with MBlast will start flooding the Microsoft's Windows Update service with legitimate-looking connection requests. The denial-of-service attack could slow down, and even halt access to, the primary way Microsoft customers receive updates for their computers.

MSBlast's first attack will last until the end of the year, security researchers said, adding that the coding of the worm will cause it to continue the attack in the latter half of each month for the first six months of 2004.

The worm contains two messages in its code. One is addressed to Microsoft founder Bill Gates: "billy gates why do you make this possible?" it says. "Stop making money and fix your software!!" The other message is a "greet"--an underground programmer greeting--to another person, which could be a lead for any law enforcement agencies that pursue the worm's author.

Microsoft may find a way to deflect the attack, as did the White House's technical staff when the Code Red worm aimed a denial-service attack at the whitehouse.gov Web site. The flaws in MSBlast may also slow it down.

For anyone that needs more, i can post the full thing.

top topics

join