It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US D/E Sub?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
I don't think the US should use "large" diesel or AIP subs, like other countries, instead they should use smaller subs carrier on the back of nuclear SSN. When SSN comes close to the coastal waters the AIP sub would take over the brown water mission. Also the small AIP sub can return to nuclear sub to recharge batteries/power cells.

I have a picture (it is in a trade mag) of a french concept like this from a few years ago. It had a converted old ssbn with an DE boat on either side attched via some sort of 'airlock' type mechanism. The ssbn provided long distance high speed travel as well as superior ammenieties for the 3 crews. Once in the target area the DE detached and went close inshore while the ssbn remained further out acting as a mother ship.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Did not the Germans pioneer this type of arrangement as far back as the first world war. I think they called them milk cow..submarines. Large submarines used to covertly provide fuel,torpedos, Lubricants, foods , medicines, etc etc.
Perhapsed I am thinking of the Japanese with thier midget submarines...sort of piggy backed.
Intresting to think that with all this high technology of which we tend to sometimes boast..that a olde concept would come back around again.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I don't like the Idea of piggybacking it seems to me it would make the mother sub presumably a nuclear attack sub slower and nosier. I like the idea of launching them form specialized ships with an open hull design on the bottom perhaps holing as many as 2 or 4 per ship.

<< 1   >>

join