It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney's Multi-$mil Guantanamo Bay Nest Egg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   
external image

Amongst all the clamor and noise regarding the treatment of prisoners at the Guantanamo Bay detention facility and regarding the alleged illegality of their continued imprisonment, there have been calls from many unpatriotic buffoons for its closure, including from former president Bill Clinton, former president Jimmy Carter, and Senator Biden, and many others.

President Bush even hinted that alternatives were being considered.

Shut down Guantanamo? U.S. eyes options - www.msnbc.msn.com
“We’re exploring all alternatives as to how best to do the main objective, which is to protect America," Bush said on Fox News Channel when asked whether it should be shut down. "What we don’t want to do is let somebody out that comes back and harms us."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

But uh ohhh...Vice President Dick Cheney has other ideas.

Cheney insists Guantanamo to stay open - msnbc.msn.com
WASHINGTON - Vice President Dick Cheney says there are no present plans to close the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay where terrorism suspects are held, despite a growing chorus of calls — including one from a Republican lawmaker — to do so.

“The important thing here to understand is that the people that are at Guantanamo are bad people,” he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well that's fair enough, right? Cheney is concerned for the welfare of Americans and committed to the stamping out of terror, etc etc blah blah. I don't know about you, but I'm glad all the "bad people" are locked up in Guantanamo Bay and not enjoying an office up in the White House. Phew!

So, what are the plans for Guantanamo Bay, which currently holds 540 or so detainees? Well, it seems it's going to be expanded. Cool!

As of July 16, the U.S. Department of Defense awarded a US$30,000,000 contract to Kellogg Brown & Root Services Inc. of Arlington, Va. to build a new facility at Guantanamo that will hold 220 enemies of the State.

U.S. Department of Defense
Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs) - Contracts

Kellogg Brown & Root Services Inc., Arlington, Va., is being awarded $30,000,000 for Task Order 0013 under a cost reimbursement, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity construction contract (N62470-04-D-4017) for construction of Detention Camp #6 and Security Fence at U.S. Naval Base, Guantanamo Bay.

The work to be performed provides for a two-story, 220-man facility, consisting of day rooms, exercise areas, medical/dental spaces, and a security control room. The project also will include site work, heating ventilation and air conditioning, plumbing, and electrical work.

Work will be performed in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and is expected to be completed by July 2006. Contract funds will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year. The basic contract was competitively procured with 59 offers solicited, three proposals received and award made on July 26, 2004. The total contract amount is not to exceed $500,000,000, which includes the base period and four option years. The Naval Facilities Engineering Command, Atlantic, Norfolk, Va., is the contracting activity.

external image

"Kellogg Brown & Root"...hmmm...that name sounds familiar. Ohh, that's right, it is KBR, the heavy construction and oil arm of Halliburton Co.

www.halliburton.com...
KBR is a global engineering, construction, technology and services company. Whether designing an LNG facility, serving as a defense industry contractor or providing capital construction, KBR delivers world-class service and performance. KBR employs more than 60,000 people in 43 countries around the world.

But wait a minute...wasn't Dick Cheney CEO of Halliburton from 1995 to 2000? Yes, that's right, despite having no business background, he was handed that position in 1995. Still, I guess the boys at Helliburton did owe Mr. Cheney a big favor after after he secured a nice 2.2 billion dollar revenue from government contracts for KBR while he was Secretary of Defense in 1992. Aaaaaaand, forced to sever all ties with Halliburton when he came into office as VP, Dick still retains a $150,000 a year deferred salary and maintains over 400,000 shares in unexercised Halliburton stock options.

Ok, well I feel much better now. I finally understand why Cheney is so against Guantanamo being shut down and I can sleep better at night.

external image

Oh, and one more thing...if the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq are over, and the number of detainees at Guantanamo has been decreasing as some are released, then why do they need to add a facility that can hold 220 more prisoners? Hmm...could it be that there's another invasion on the cards that we don't know about? Gee, let's hope so. We wouldn't want Halliburton to go wanting of military contracts and be unable to reinstate Cheney as CEO when he steps down from office, to be unable to pay that deferred salary, or to have their share prices drop for those stock options, now would we? I know I wouldn't.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Great Post wecomeinpeace!

Mister Cheney says:

"The important thing here to understand is that the people that are at Guantanamo are bad people."

DICK, I am Very Dissapointed!

[edit on 21/6/05 by Souljah]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Gee lets see, why would we want 220 better equipped facilities? Perhaps to move cooperating detainees there and silence all the ignorant comments form people who say the facility is a “gulag”.

Now someone has to make and produce military needs, would people feel better if it was a company other than Halliburton? Or would nothing satisfy your conspiracy theories and speculation?

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Now someone has to make and produce military needs, would people feel better if it was a company other than Halliburton? Or would nothing satisfy your conspiracy theories and speculation?

How appropriate that this Someone is Halliburton and its Director DICK Cheney!

Then the Money runs "All in the Family" - Just like Mafia.

Great Plan!

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Hi wcip,

I think you ask some very good questions in your post - some that I would like answers to as well. So for the record, I'll correct one point and then just speak my opinion on a second.

"Kellogg Brown & Root"...hmmm...that name sounds familiar. Ohh, that's right, it is KBR, the heavy construction and oil arm of Halliburton Co.

Correction - KBR is the construction arm of Halliburton Co. It is not the oil arm - the oil arm has another name.

But wait a minute...wasn't Dick Cheney CEO of Halliburton from 1995 to 2000? Yes, that's right, despite having no business background, he was handed that position in 1995. Still, I guess the boys at Helliburton did owe Mr. Cheney a big favor after after he secured a nice 2.2 billion dollar revenue from government contracts for KBR while he was Secretary of Defense in 1992.

Cheney had years of experience and I'm almost certain - just from a logical business standpoint - that he was brought into the CEO position because of the personal network he had built over the years. Not to pay some secret debt, but to give Halliburton an edge in getting future contracts. This is called a good business decision on Halliburton's part - whether you like it or not that's what it was.

Also, to verify how much return Halliburton got out of Cheney - we have to be sure and back out the 8 billion dollar asbestos bill they've paid due to his slap-shod CEO'ing.

I think the big question here - and you already asked it - is if we are finally starting to release some of these folks we've held without charges for four years now, then why do we need to build a bigger, better facility? Why not just not have a facility at all and from now on stay out of the concentration camp business?

And why is Cheney saying one thing and the president another???

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
great post wecomeinpeace

it is important to know what DICK does at all times, hes like one of those ex mobsters that decides to go legal after long years of shady business....
and keeps doing the dirty stuff.

Funny how businessmen become politicians with the greatest of ease....and they know squat about politics....they know business and thats what they keep doing

weeee areeeee waaaattttchiiiing youuuuuu Diiiiiick

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Thanks for the clarifications Val.

Whatever Cheney lost for Halliburton, I'm sure he's made it back for them and then some in preferential allocation of government contracts since taking on the VP mantle. Just for KBR alone:

www.talkinaboutinvolution.org...
Last year Kellogg, Brown & Root took in $13 billion in revenues, according to its latest annual report. Currently Kellogg, Brown & Root estimates it has $740 million in existing United States government contracts, approximately 37% of their global business, most of which are in addition to the LOGCAP deal.

KBR was making money from war even in Vietnam.

Kellogg, Brown & Root is no stranger to the business of war. From 1962 to 1972 the Pentagon paid the company tens of millions of dollars to go to South Vietnam, where they built roads, landing strips, harbors, and military bases from the demilitarized zone to the Mekong delta. The company was one of the main contractors hired to construct the Diego Garcia airbase in the Indian Ocean, according to Pentagon military histories.

KBR's oil connection, along with Halliburton's GVA, lies in the fact that a large portion of their business is in the construction of oil rig platforms, and all the heavy equipment engineering to find, extract, store and transfer oil.

You're right, Halliburton's choice of Cheney as CEO made excellent business sense because of his connections as Defense Secretary. But Cheney, being a career politician actually had little to no business experience before he entered Halliburton, which makes me wonder if Halliburton knew more about Cheney's future than the average Joe...

www.guardian.co.uk...
To the uninitiated, the appointment of Cheney to the chairman, president, and chief executive officer positions at Halliburton in August 1995, made little sense. Cheney had almost no business experience, having been a career politician and bureaucrat. Financial analysts downgraded the stock and the business press openly questioned the decision.

Good business decision or not, this is nepotism at its best. Just another example of how the war-makers are making money out of the wars they make.

I wonder if the new facility will be decked out in the colors of the Iranian flag to make its future occupants feel at home.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I wonder if they're gonna be smart, and buid a nice, soundproof dungeon underneath it?

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by nukunuku
t is important to know what DICK does at all times, hes like one of those ex mobsters that decides to go legal after long years of shady business....
and keeps doing the dirty stuff.

Funny how businessmen become politicians with the greatest of ease....and they know squat about politics....they know business and thats what they keep doing

weeee areeeee waaaattttchiiiing youuuuuu Diiiiiick

Excellent post, wecomeinpeace!!!! If I may add a link to a CBC-TV fifth estate program from last fall...all about the illu$triou$ career of Mr. Cheney. Posted it in another forum as I want as many people to see it as possible.

And oh, how the money continues to roll in....just in deferred compensation and stock options. The better Halliburton does, the richer Cheney will be. As if he could ever spend what he has made on the backs of young Americans and dead Iraqis.

Add to that the fact that his wife, Lynne, is on the board of directors of Lougheed Martin, a post she refused to give up when Cheney was elected. Basically said anyone who didn't like it could "go to hell." Geez, I smell a lot of conflict of interest in the air, eh?

The Unauthorized Biography of Dick Cheney

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning
If I may add a link to a CBC-TV fifth estate program from last fall...all about the illu$triou$ career of Mr. Cheney.

The Unauthorized Biography of Dick Cheney

Thank you AL, that was an excellent documentary! Brilliantly done, very informative, and interviewed some very important key figures.
Can you or anyone figure out how to download the video? I couldn't find the url in either the source code or clip properties. That one's a keeper!

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
You are most welcome, wecomeinpeace. Glad you liked it and thought it helpful to the cause
I don't think you can download the program due to copyright laws, but do check the website regularly - the fifth estate is the flagship investigative program of the CBC, 30 years worth of thorough investigations. They were even instrumental in getting men who were wrongly convicted of murder out of life imprisonment here in Canada. They have just recently provided access to some of the programs on the net. Hey, you may be able to buy it though: www.cbc.ca...

I was mad as hell when I saw the documentary last year before the election and fired it off to some friends in the U.S. Sorry I couldn't make a dent though...

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I think it's obvious what Cheney is doing..

He's preparing a facility to serve himself and the rest of that jolly band of pirate looters. See, this nightmare of corporate government won't last forever, and at some point these boys are going to get sentenced to a long jail term somewhere other than America. They're just preparing their new digs.

Cuba is perfect.
We can relinquish control of Guantanamo bay to Cuban authorities, and pay them a few million a year to 'take care of' our former heads of state.

new topics

top topics

join