It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why's the water blueish?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I know this is probaly a stupid question, but I've always wondered it and never got a straight answer.
Why's the water in the sea blueish?
Is it from the blue sky? If you were to shine a torch on water during night when the blue skys gone, would the water be clear?

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Interesting question, i had a look around, maybe this page can shed some light on it for you: www.dartmouth.edu...

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
And for those of us who dont know what the hell that page is talking about?

Why is water blue?

(I got
the basics, but it lost me a bit)

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Because the sky is blue (reflection)

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat

Hmm, actually i think it's the other way round

According to the site given (and i may have this wrong i'm no scientist) it's because water absorbs the red part of the spectrum as the light passes through it. Meaning that the light that is reflective comes out blue/green.

Or something like that

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
everything we see in this world has color. it has color because light is really all colors of the rainbow together, and when it hits and object, that object will reflect certain colors, and the ones that are not reflected, you will be able to see. water reflects all colors except blue, so you see it as blue.
the reason it dosen't seem blue at night is because there is a lot less light for the water to reflect.
Hope my litle two cents can help you out

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
burgess is right. Just take a glass of ocean water, and look at it, and it will be clear. The deeper you go, the more light gets restricted.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
that is true, why do u think the sky is blue? it is the same thing pretty much, that is why, at dusk, the sky changes colors because the light is refracting differently.

[edit on 21-6-2005 by midgetstar]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitsunegari
everything we see in this world has color. it has color because light is really all colors of the rainbow together, and when it hits and object, that object will reflect certain colors, and the ones that are not reflected, you will be able to see.

u got it backwards, when an object is blue, it means that that object is absorbing all of the colors of the spectrum, except blue. it reflects blue back to you and you eyes, so your eyes can see the color blue. white objects reflect every color, that is why one would wear a white shirt during summer, it reflects all of the light and heat, it is the exact opposite for a black shirt, which absorbes everything.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

everything we see in this world has color. it has color because light is really all colors of the rainbow together, and when it hits and object, that object will reflect certain colors, and the ones that are not reflected, you will be able to see. water reflects all colors except blue, so you see it as blue.
the reason it dosen't seem blue at night is because there is a lot less light for the water to reflect.
Hope my litle two cents can help you out

It certainly did, thanks.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It's not so much that it absorbs all colours except blue. Due to the vibrational frequencies of the molecules in water, it absorbs RED, and therefore we see the opposite of red, which is blue. I liked that article because it said this:

To our knowledge the intrinsic blueness of water is the only example from nature in which color originates from vibrational transitions. Other materials owe their colors to the interaction of visible light with the electrons of the substances.

...Which I find fascinating.

Zip

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by midgetstar

everything we see in this world has color. it has color because light is really all colors of the rainbow together, and when it hits and object, that object will reflect certain colors, and the ones that are not reflected, you will be able to see.

u got it backwards, when an object is blue, it means that that object is absorbing all of the colors of the spectrum, except blue. it reflects blue back to you and you eyes, so your eyes can see the color blue. white objects reflect every color, that is why one would wear a white shirt during summer, it reflects all of the light and heat, it is the exact opposite for a black shirt, which absorbes everything.

Glad we could be of some assistance.
oh yeah, hehe, thanks.i was close.
oh and your siggy "Ich bin ein Berliner" means "I am a sausage" roughly.TeeHee, isnt x-files great?

[edit on 21/6/2005 by Kitsunegari]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
the water question is basically answered... ( google can be your friend )

Originally posted by Jehosephat

the sky is blue because of the effect named "rayleigh scattering"
additionally "mie scattering" plays a role (white colors, near the sun etc. )

hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...

oh and your siggy "Ich bin ein Berliner" means "I am a sausage" roughly.TeeHee, isnt x-files great?

LOL i hope you didn't mean this serious

sorry i just have to correct this...

berliner means : someone from berlin, or a sort of bakery products

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   

its a joke, not berLIN er, berLINEr, you wouldnt get it if you dont watch X-Files. ita the german word for sausage.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   

its a joke, not berLIN er, berLINEr, you wouldnt get it if you dont watch X-Files. ita the german word for sausage.

Actually I am German, I am know for a Fact that when Kennedy said, "Ich bin ein Berliner"

He was calling himself a special type of Berlin's famous jelly donuts/pastry.

Its kinda like... If you called a New York Cheesecake just a New Yorker, and a forigner called themselves a New Yorker, in a different language... you could assume he was talking about the Cheesecake, because he's not from New York.

Actually the German Language is a little wierd. Ich Bin Einen Berliner" would have been the Sausage.

[edit on 21-6-2005 by Where2Hide2006]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Where2Hide2006

Actually I am German, I am know for a Fact that when Kennedy said, "Ich bin ein Berliner"

Its kinda like... If you called a New York Cheesecake just a New Yorker, and a forigner called themselves a New Yorker, in a different language... you could assume he was talking about the Cheesecake, because he's not from New York.

Actually the German Language is a little wierd. Ich Bin Einen Berliner" would have been the Sausage.

ah, is that so

well then, sorry. and thanks for the correction!

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Where2Hide2006

wow, didn't know my siggy would create so many responses, and i just wanted u all to know, i'm german too

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
(Not that I'm doubting the veracity of our resident German....but...)

Perhaps it's just a coincidence...but your post closely resembled an Eddie Izzard skit about it all.

Ah, good old Eddie

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Thanks for the answers. (And the German lesson)

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
if u shine soomething at the water at night it wont be clear because of the sand and the salts and because its not to deep at the coast... and i do think that the waters blue cuz the skys blue... the sky cant be gone lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join