It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M-829A3 APFSDS not so good afterall.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Its been speculated that the M-829A3 features a number of elements that allow enormous penetration [some claim 1000mm]. But these claims are based on a APFSDS with a velocity of over 1800m/s with long penetrator [770-780mm] and enhanced dupleted uranium alloy that offers about 20% improvement .

How ever it turns out the velocity of this round is alot lower than thought[around 1555m/s at muzzle]. Got this link of TANKNET...

www.atk.com...

Its likely that this round is no better than the German DM-53, British L-28 and the latest versions of the Russian 125mm [RELICT] and Chinese 125mm 'type-3' DU-APFSDS [for Type-98]. Most of these penetrators feature high velocity and equally long penetrator just not the advanced DU alloy.

I've heard their is a M-829A4 in the pipeline, perhaps this is why?

[edit on 20-6-2005 by psteel]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I read that link article and was surprised to see that it is claimed that the Abrams is the 'only tank in the world' that can down a helicopter with it's main armament firing a certain type of ammunition.

Can this be true? Is this not wishful thinking? Can't the target simply fly away - upwards, sidewards or downwards? How can the gunner keep track and on target? Does the Abrams now fire guided munitions from it's main gun?

I think not! Why make such outrageous claims? This fine, yet second class tank, has a good war record - but it's not that good!

[edit on 21-6-2005 by fritz]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Fritz...

It states.....

It is the only tank ammunition in the world capable of defeating an air target.

and not the tank!....... but your right what a load of crap!!

.......media hype...BAH!

Spacemunkey

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
I read that link article and was surprised to see that it is claimed that the Abrams is the 'only tank in the world' that can down a helicopter with it's main armament firing a certain type of ammunition.

Can this be true? Is this not wishful thinking? Can't the target simply fly away - upwards, sidewards or downwards? How can the gunner keep track and on target? Does the Abrams now fire guided munitions from it's main gun?

The round in question is the M-PAT round which can be airburst. The round was used to great effect in teh Thunder Runs of the early incusrions into Baghdad in 2003, against insurgents hiding behinmd street corners.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I'am not a weapons expert...

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
How would the gunner even line up the gun with the air target? Unless they have laser sight.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
How would the gunner even line up the gun with the air target? Unless they have laser sight.

Well all M1's have laser range finder.. When talking about taking out helicopters, they mean helicopters which are hovering to launch missiles, not manouvering targets. The MPAT round has at least a 10m kill radius when air burst, more than enough to take out a helicopter.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I took out an entire loufwafa squad in call of duty with a friggen sherman.

top topics

join