It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush wants a strong European Union.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
source

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US President George W. Bush said he wanted the crisis-hit European Union to be a "strong" global partner, as he and visiting EU leaders took a united approach to Iran, North Korea, and Lebanon.

"The United States continues to support a strong European Union as a partner in spreading freedom and democracy and security and prosperity throughout the world," he said after the annual US-EU summit at the White House.

Bush spoke after meeting with Luxembourg Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker, the current EU president; European Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso; and EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana.

The European Union is reeling after its failure to agree on a long-term budget and the postponement of plans to adopt a constitution after French and Dutch voters crushingly rejected the charter.

"We made clear in our frank and open and friendly talks with the president that the European Union is not (on) its knees," said Juncker, who has warned that the 25-nation bloc may see its global influence shrink.

In a series of joint statements, the United States and the European Union declared a united front on issues like North Korea's nuclear weapons programs, Iran's atomic energy ambitions, and recent elections in Lebanon.

Is he freaking crazy
, in anicase it may backfire to him. agree with him? that we need a strong EU? to me i think we need the EU, eeww sounds weird wen it slips my tongue. but aniways we need EU for political force against nations like Iran and North Korea.

ed to shorten link

[edit on 20-6-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

Is he freaking crazy
, in anicase it may backfire to him. agree with him? that we need a strong EU? to me i think we need the EU, eeww sounds weird wen it slips my tongue. but aniways we need EU for political force against nations like Iran and North Korea.

Of course you need the EU, since it is the only major player (of US, CHina, Russia and, well, EU) that your governments can support allying with.
The alternative would be further isolation of US.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Maybe it's even dawning on someone like Bush (although clearly not deltaboy) that, as ex-hawkish SOS for defence Robert McNamara has recently said, the USA cannot simply go it alone at all times and if the US can't engage the support of those closest to it in terms of shared values etc etc then maybe that should provoke a serious pause for thought or even abandonment of such 'unilateral' actions.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
but aniways we need EU for political force against nations like Iran and North Korea

Says it all really. Britain might be a lapdog but I very much doubt the EU will be as acquiescent.

top topics

join