It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Sail launches in 22 hrs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The first solar sail craft is going to be launched from from a Soviet nuclear submarine. I guess it was Carl Sagan's dream to be able to touch space so his wife carried it on for him. The design of the sail is supposedly his design from many different books he's written.

Google news has the article as well as here

-Aza

[edit on 20-6-2005 by Azathoth]

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This is really cool, first of all because Bill Nye the science guy helped build it, and second because you will be able to see it from earth with the naked eye. The directions for tracking it are on the company's website, here is a link:
www.planetary.org...

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
... I can't believe I didn't hear about it till now.

God, what would I do without ATS!?

Thanks for the heads up guys.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Bill Nye used to be a safety instructor at Boeing.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I agree, this is great.

We have to try every type of option in space to see what works and what doesn't, And what works for what purposes and what works for others.

Makes me think of that episode of Dr. Who with the light yachts.

Imagine yachting in space, using the gravity of a moon to accelerate with.
I wonder if you get more push when the Sun releases Solar storm energy?

I have a feeling this will be used for freight and stuff if it has too slow an acceleration.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Let's hope those layers aren't too thick :p

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Latest news is not good - they lost signal and can't find it....

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by UofCinLA
Latest news is not good - they lost signal and can't find it....

- I knew it wouldn't work.

They have being working on this for a decade...and it fails.

The solar sail concept is good, and i bet it would work, but this project I figured was doomed.

The more time you spend on something like this, and the more delays you get, the chances go up for someone forgeting something, and a mistake happens. Not to mention I wouldn't of gone the route to have it launched by a russian sub...thats just beggen for trouble.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I wonder how long that'll take to get out of the atmosphere

Photons...hitting the cells...and pushing it. I don't see it working well with speed.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
If you "knew" it wouldnt work why didnt you contact them and warn them

I think the late Carl Sagan would have a chuckle at this. Hed probably say " The rocket forgot it was programed to go into space and not into the USA" or something like that.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Oh that would be lovely PR for both countries....

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Well it turns out that the Russian rocket failed
...Impossible!

The rocket never made it into space, the first stage failed before 2 minutes of flight, and it crashed into the barents sea.

So much for years of labor and 4 million bucks.

xu

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   
it wasnt a Russian project, but launched by an independent research group, Planetary Society. And note that Carl Sagans wife is involved in this project since this was Carls dream. planetary.org...

though they payed russia to use their launch module for to send the sail into orbit. what screwed here was the russian launch module.

and Im telling you again they wouldnt let such a revolutionary project carried on by someone other than themselves, who? well isnt it obvious. now wait for a few months for the sail which belongs to NASA write history. as in beagle.

orbiting the planet is actually an easy task as long as you have enough fuel and a functional rocket, you can even orbit earth manually if you have the ability to monitor orbit eccentiricity, highest point, lowest point etc.

and how many ICBMs to date ever failed 2 minutes after launch without any apparent reason. russians just tested an ICBM which hit the target with deadly accuracy. overall this is really a circus. and Im sorry for the guys in Planetary Society. yeah government has to do it first before any public society I know... they got to own.

and I remember reading that Putin and Bush were shaking hands related to space programs they will work on together. so I can say that USA and Russia is in pact both space related and arms-dealing related.

if only it could just succeed.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by looking4truth
This is really cool, first of all because Bill Nye the science guy helped build it, and second because you will be able to see it from earth with the naked eye.

That would have been awesome to see it, and way to go Science Guy. I've also heard on Coast to Coast that we should be able to see NASA's Deep Impact from earth on July Fourth. I looked at the site, but its rather large, and I am impatient.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Solar Sail seems to be lost, the rocket's booster rocket failed

Russia's space agency said with "some definitiveness" that Cosmos 1's booster rocket failed 83 seconds after its launch from a Russian nuclear submarine in the Barents Sea on Tuesday.

Nonetheless,

"We have no regrets over what happened," said Bruce Murray, a former director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory who founded the group with Friedman and late astronomer Carl Sagan.
We've learned a lot and I think we've shown what can be possible and what might be able to be done."

Too bad, would've been interesting to see if it would of survived.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Block
If you "knew" it wouldnt work why didnt you contact them and warn them

I think the late Carl Sagan would have a chuckle at this. Hed probably say " The rocket forgot it was programed to go into space and not into the USA" or something like that.

I always wondered if old Carl was trying to tell us something when he wrote "Contact"
Anyway it is a real shame this didnt turn out better, the people who paid for and set this up deserved better. I would have liked to have seen how the mission would have gone.
Oh well, onward and upward

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   

xu
and Im telling you again they wouldnt let such a revolutionary project carried on by someone other than themselves, who? well isnt it obvious. now wait for a few months for the sail which belongs to NASA write history. as in beagle.

Huh? Nasa isn't launching a solar sail. and what about beagle?

xu
and how many ICBMs to date ever failed 2 minutes after launch without any apparent reason. russians just tested an ICBM which hit the target with deadly accuracy. overall this is really a circus. and Im sorry for the guys in Planetary Society. yeah government has to do it first before any public society I know... they got to own.

it happens. You think the russian blew up the rocket on purpose? you are really paranoid. The government doesn't do everything first.

from space.com
Past attempts to unfold similar devices in space have failed.

In 1999, Russia launched a similar experiment with a sun-reflecting device from its Mir space station, but the deployment mechanism jammed and the device burned up in the atmosphere. Russia tried again in 2001, but the device failed to separate from the booster and burned in the atmosphere.

I would just stop using the Volna rocket.

xu
and I remember reading that Putin and Bush were shaking hands related to space programs they will work on together. so I can say that USA and Russia is in pact both space related and arms-dealing related.

Arms Dealing? What the hell are you talking about, you make it sound as if the US and Russia are good budies trying to conquer the world together. The US has a lot of distrust towards Russia, and as space goes they have a very different path ahead of them then the US. Putin used to be KGB...and no ones for sure whether they will start to learn more to the democratic side, or the communist side.
Nasa has invited RussiFederal Space Agency to be apart of the moon base, because of money issues, and the more money and people and countries are involded the more work can get done in a smaller time frame.

xu

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Huh? Nasa isn't launching a solar sail. and what about beagle?

Nasa will launch a solar sail program.

it happens. You think the russian blew up the rocket on purpose? you are really paranoid. The government doesn't do everything first.

last time I checked this was a conspiracy site. I know how it sounds to you. I can understand.

Arms Dealing? What the hell are you talking about, you make it sound as if the US and Russia are good budies trying to conquer the world together. The US has a lot of distrust towards Russia, and as space goes they have a very different path ahead of them then the US. Putin used to be KGB...and no ones for sure whether they will start to learn more to the democratic side, or the communist side.

these are the things that media is telling you, I remember USA and Russia are developing next stage nuclear weapons, where USA is aiding them in the developement, yet you are still talking about cold war. and besides this is just your point of view. and what you are reacting to is just my point of view.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   

xu
I remember USA and Russia are developing next stage nuclear weapons, where USA is aiding them in the developement

Links???

also links on the Nasa Solar Sail to be launched.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well the planatery society has just pretty much wasted the millions they spent on privately funding it. Pity. It would have been good to see how well it worked if it actually worked.

llama009

top topics

<<   2 >>

join