It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some advice!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Well, I need some advice. Currently, I am going to college to earn a degree in astrophysics and then pursue a PhD. However, my work schedule and my school schedule has begun to conflict. With the massive amount of labs that I need to take I will only be able to take around two classes a semester. With that said, my dilemma is this:

1. I cannot either quit work or go part time at work because I don’t have a sufficient enough income level to accomplish this. (My wife however, is looking for a higher paying job to accommodate this)

2. If I continue to go full time at work and part time at school including summer semesters I will not receive my BS for 6.5 years.

I have been thinking about changing my majors to something else in order to avoid the lengthy lab times but I don’t know what I should pick.

Anyone have any suggestions of a major that requires less lab time but pays well?

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
Well, I need some advice. Currently, I am going to college to earn a degree in astrophysics and then pursue a PhD. However, my work schedule and my school schedule has begun to conflict. With the massive amount of labs that I need to take I will only be able to take around two classes a semester.

Astrophysics - a branch of astronomy dealing especially with the behaviour, physical properties, and dynamic processes of celestial objects and phenomena.

And when you discover Comet BlackJackal (aka Anubis) heading for Earth and warn the world in time for the PTBs to do something about it ... you'll have saved the planet! Alternately, when you're on the team that further investigates the Kirkwood gaps or become the Chief Astrophysicist on the Manned Mission to Mars ... and got your name in the history books ... you'll look back at this present dilemma and laugh. Even if you just sit around and discover nothing, but have access to a big honking telescope ... KEWL!!!

Dude, if you have a wife who has your back and is willing to actualize her Mother-Madonna archetype and support and encourage you ... then ... go for it! Do whatever it takes to knock out your degree at the pace that's most comfortable for you, so you can gain the maximum amount of knowledge and be the best astrophysicist in the world!

I've been a dumb old security guard all my life now - talk about a Black Hole that won't let you escape its gravitational force! Every time I've tried to escape it and get myself edjumicated and become "SOMETHING" ... I've been sucked back into security, because I had to pay the freaking bills, etc. Sure, I've read scholarly works along the way, but self-study and no lamb-skin counts for jack diddley squat in the real world.

If you love this field of study and if you want a career in it and it makes you happy and your wife is there to support your efforts ... DUDE! It's a no brainer! Do whatever the two of you need to do - within the law, of course - to make your dreams happen. Don't settle! And don't acquire new bills or more mouths to feed!! Cut corners and make it happen!!! Them's my two cents worth.
Aim high! Reach for the stars!! And consult with your wife at all times!!! And stop messing about here and go study or do some lab work already! Can't earn a degree farting around on the Internet.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: The first step you take toward compromising your dream will not be the last. The first step you take toward putting your dream on the back burner to simmer will not be the last. Confucius said, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." So, step wisely and proceed. And if you get a chance to find a small dumpy looking little un-named asteroid out there ... you can always call it smadewell.

[edit on 20-6-2005 by smadewell]

new topics

join