It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not In The Mainstream News.... again...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I just received this email, I don't know if this story is true or not.

here's a link to a google search about the subject...

www.google.com... l+washington+writes+check+for+fisher+house

This needs as wide a distribution as we can create. The media won't
tell us things like this!

Forwarded in hopes that you all will give this info maximum
disimination........Subject: Denzel Washington
Subject: Brooks Army Medical Center

Don't know whether you heard about this but Denzel Washington and his
family visited the troups at Brook Army Medical Center, in San Antonio,Texas
(BAMC) the other day. This is where soldiers that have been evacuated
from Germany come to be hospitalized in the States, especially burn
victims. They have buildings there called Fisher Houses. The Fisher
House is a hotel where soldiers' families can stay, for little or no charge, while their
soldier is staying in the hospital. BAMC has quite a few of these houses
on base but as you can imagine, they are almost completely filled most of
the time.

While Denzel Washington was visiting BAMC, they gave him a tour of one
of the Fisher Houses. He asked how much one of them would cost to
build. He took his check book out and wrote a check for the full amount right
there on the spot. The soldiers overseas were amazed to hear this story and want
to get the word out to the American public, because it warmed their hearts
to hear it.

The question I have is why does Alec Baldwin, Modonna, Sean Penn and
other Hollywood types make front page news with their anti-everything
America crap and this doesn't even make page 3 in the Metro section of any newspaper
except the base newspaper in San Antonio

I hope this is true and if so, Thank You Mr Denzel Washington !

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
He did make a donation but it didn't occur as it was written in that article.

www.snopes.com...

According to the Fisher House Foundation, when Denzel Washington was at Fort Sam Houston in December 2004, he did visit its Fisher House and learn of their need for additional facilities, and he did later make a substantial donation to the Fisher House Foundation (amount undisclosed, but it was described as "one of the most significant received in our history" by James Weiskopf, the foundation's vice president for communications), but he did not, as described above, "get out his checkbook" on the spot and write a check for the full amount needed to construct a new building.

Due to the generosity of the American public (including Mr. Washington), the Fisher House Foundation has already collected enough money to build another house, although it will not necessarily be constructed at the Brooke Army Medical Center. Other possible sites for a new Fisher House include the Michael E. DeBakey Medical Center in Houston, the Haley VA Medical Center in Tampa, the Madigan Army Medical Center in Fort Lewis, Washington, the VA Medical Center in Palo Alto, California, and Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

[edit on 20-6-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Well, here are some details. (AceOfBase just beat me to it though, lol) Not many, but at least from a 'real' newspaper. and not an e-mail. The 'facts' presented by the e-mail seem blown a bit out of proportion (the check was mailed to the foundation, not written on the spot). Also, as to answer your question regarding the page 3 versus headline news, the answer is sensationalism. While very sweet and heartwarming, it's a 'boring' story as far as mass media is concerned.

"T.V. is after all the modern day Roman Colliseum, human devestation as mass entertainment, and now millions are cheering, collectively cheering, the bloodthirsty heirarchy of this patriarchal arrangement." -ani difranco

www.denverpost.com...

[edit on 6/20/2005 by SimonColynAdrian]

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

The question I have is why does Alec Baldwin, Modonna, Sean Penn and
other Hollywood types make front page news with their anti-everything
America crap and this doesn't even make page 3 in the Metro section of any newspaper
except the base newspaper in San Antonio

Being "anti-everything American" is what sells.
It's a bit sad, but America's biggest enemy is the sensational press. But on the other hand, the free press is what has made America great.

You have to take the good with the bad, and it's up to the people to decide the veracity of the author and determine the truth based on fact and the sources those facts come from.
For the most part the "people" end up holding the end of the stick with the crap on it. And for many, that is just fine. It makes them feel comfortable in their lives and gives them a sense that they know what is going on and that the powers that be are looking after them.

The good news stories get buried, and stories that proclaim death and destruction make the front page. Sad, but true............

Denzel Washington has made a generous gift to the Brooks Army Medical Center and I urge others to contribute to such a worthy cause.
The families of our soldiers need to be close to their loved ones when they return injured from war, and many can't afford this.

Like "Ronald McDonald House", this is not only for the family, it's for the patient as well. The benefit to the person under care is immeasurable.

To have a member of your family there while recovering or in rehab can make all the difference in a patients progress. In a way, the soldier has something to prove to his or her mother, father, brother, etc...... if they are helping in the healing process. I can't help but feel that it's the family that gives their child up to war, and you owe that family for their sacrifice.

You owe them a lot........................

Mr. Washington made a very magnanimous gesture, I hope this inspires others to give in some way.

new topics

top topics

join