It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What plane is this... Gratefull if you tell me...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Well, after having been deeply embedded in the preliminary structural design phase, RCS testing, Hydraulic test stand construction, fuel bird build, construction of tools, molds, and forms, layout of lines and shapes, and the actual construction of PAV-1 and -2, as well as the fly-off portion of the competition, I have been very amused to hear the ramblings of you YF-23 lovers.
Being on the inside, I can tell you that there were other reasons for Northrop's loss of the contract besides cost and the "Good-ol'-Boy" (Pork Barrel) syndrome. However, I can't tell you what they are! Lets just say that the ONLY part of the competition we actually lost was the Contract itself. Cost and Contract problems beset both competitors, and lets just say Lockheed's problems cost less to solve in the short run.
Now that I no longer work for NG, my loyalty has taken a little slide (not much) downhill. I will hint that with my new job I have much more information on the -22, and still believe the -23 is a better aircraft, especially from a maintenance standpoint, as it was designed to be a mechanic's friend, not fight him at every turn.
Some friends have told me that the YF-23, PAV-2 at the Western Museum of Flight at Jack Northrop Field in Hawthorne, California still gets a visit about every two years from different Aerodynamic Engineers trying to find out additional types of data on the -23 and why it performs as it does. They also hear good comments about the plane that make their hearts go pitty-pat. It seems that a rumor has started to the effect that the USAF may have finally caught up to the futuristic capabilities the -23 has, and may revive the project for a future aircraft program. If rumors could only be forced to be true, I'd vote for this one to be pushed through first!

Many thanks to you who think that my babies are beautiful, and I heartily agree. For those who don't, all I can say is... blindness must be a real bitch.

Mark Coffin
NG Black World Drudge from 1986 to 2004

<< 1  2  3   >>

join