It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

What plane is this... Gratefull if you tell me...

page: 1
0
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
What is this (YF-23) It looks A bit like a Raptor...




posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
What is this (YF-23) It looks A bit like a Raptor...


- Nice isn't it?

It's the losing competitor to the F22.

(why can't you just google Y/F23?)



posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
yes that is the YF-23 that lost to the 22. dont understand why u answered your own ques there.



posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I am so glad the F/22 beat that hunk of crap. It probably has good performance and what not, but you cant be seen flying around in a glorified duck now can you?!


jra

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Duck? How does it look like a duck? I personaly think it makes the F-22 look ugly, but that's just me



posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
It just does look like a duck, well to me anyway. The F/22 just looks to sweet for its own good. Though I personally love the look of the Typhoon, many will dusagree, but its just sooooooooo good!!


jra

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I agree, the Typhoon is a nice looking jet for sure. It could be a good replacement for Canada's aging C/F-18's perhaps... Anyway i'm going way off topic, sorry.



posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
I am so glad the F/22 beat that hunk of crap. It probably has good performance and what not, but you cant be seen flying around in a glorified duck now can you?!

Hunk of crap?
Glorified duck?
The fact is its stealthier than the F-22 so you wouldnt be seen period.



posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
'Cuse me, devilwasp, but got a link to confirm your assertion of the YF-23, with its external pods, based on one early design, has/had or would have had a lower RCS value than the Raptor? Thank you, sir.





seekerof

[edit on 20-6-2005 by Seekerof]



posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I never understand why people think the BlackWidow looks better than the Raptor. Its wings, engines and body is very ugly and out there.




posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
'Cuse me, devilwasp, but got a link to confirm your assertion of the YF-23, with its external pods, based on one early design, has/had or would have had a lower RCS value than the Raptor? Thank you, sir.





seekerof

[edit on 20-6-2005 by Seekerof]


One here on our very site, oh and BTW of course with external pods it would be picked up better than a raptor and I'm sure if a raptor had the same pods the YF-23 would be harder to pick up.

www.belowtopsecret.com...



posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
So DW your saying that a F-23 with no weapons is a bit harder to detect than fully loaded F/A-22?
Man that must have been a hard choice for the AF brass.



posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
So DW your saying that a F-23 with no weapons is a bit harder to detect than fully loaded F/A-22?
Man that must have been a hard choice for the AF brass.

No I'm saying a fuly loaded F-23 would be harder to spot than a fully loaded F-22.



posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a duck? funny you should say that how far do ducks travel? what do they do without machines? fly.

if i was a plane I would be gladly be called a duck rather than a human.

I like the raptor more



posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
This isn't "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"! These are machines of WAR! Their primary goal is to cause death and destruction, not win a beauty contest! I could care less if a plane looks like a duck, or even a male sexual organ for that matter, as long as it beats the hell outta the competition and accomplishes its missions efficiently and effectively!



posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   


The fact is its stealthier than the F-22 so you wouldnt be seen period.


I'm also pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that it has a slightly higher top speed than the Raptor does.




This isn't "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"! These are machines of WAR! Their primary goal is to cause death and destruction, not win a beauty contest! I could care less if a plane looks like a duck, or even a male sexual organ for that matter, as long as it beats the hell outta the competition and accomplishes its missions efficiently and effectively!



You have a point there, looks don't matter as long as the plane operates as it is supposed to and is an effective strike craft.


And, yes, I do realise that there are 2 Raptors in my avatar.

[edit on 6/21/2005 by Night Raptor15]



posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   
the f23 was better in every way than the raptor i followed the the race step by step including when the test raptor crashed . the f23 was stealthier, faster , used less fuel than the raptor. the takeoff speed for the raptor at the time was 155 mph the takeoff speed for the f23 was only 135 mph making it more fuel efficient . but if you recall they were making military cuts in 1991 because that was when i got out of high school and it was time to think about the military. unfortunatley the f23 was more expensive so due to all the expense cuts they chose the cheaper one. which was a mistake because one of the test aircraft crashed and has delayed the full production of it till now. what would have been great fell to political crap.



posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by f23ghost
the f23 was better in every way than the raptor i followed the the race step by step including when the test raptor crashed . the f23 was stealthier, faster , used less fuel than the raptor. the takeoff speed for the raptor at the time was 155 mph the takeoff speed for the f23 was only 135 mph making it more fuel efficient . but if you recall they were making military cuts in 1991 because that was when i got out of high school and it was time to think about the military. unfortunatley the f23 was more expensive so due to all the expense cuts they chose the cheaper one. which was a mistake because one of the test aircraft crashed and has delayed the full production of it till now. what would have been great fell to political crap.


How right you are! The F-23 was clearly the better Aircraft. The technology in that plane could have beaten the F-22 in a fight hands down. I have a tape at home where an engineer who worked on the Senior Sky/ATF program said that the YF-23 prefomed much better then the F-22, but he couldn't discuss the prefomance details of either of the ATF designs because they are still highly classified. Politics alone killed the F-23, and here is why:

Contractor Base: Lockheed played smart by spreading the F-22 program out over more states then Northrop did. This meant that they had a larger number of Jobs tied to the contract. (If you promise more jobs in more places, you get more votes)

Risk: Northrop pushed the Technology of the YF-23 much further them Lockheed did with the YF-22. In the final Proposal, Lockheed said they could make up the difference with later upgrades. The Pentagon though that it would be cheeper and safer to go with the upgrades, so they passed up better technology for the promis that Lockheed could catch up in the long run.

Cost: The YF-23 was more expensive because of the fact that it had more advances technology built into it from the start. Lockheed used the budget cutting environment of the 1990's to their advantage.

Now we are watching the F-22 costs climb through the roof! We will neve truly get our money's worth for the Raptor. If you look, every time the program starts to gain a little momentum, something happens to cause a major set back and push the price up a little. As they say Pay Me Now, or Pay Me Later! But it Will cost You!

Now that we've covered the FACTS, I'll add some Oppinion!

I personally think they should Scrap the F-22 and revive the F-23 Black Widow. To me it is CLEAR that the F-23 was the better design. If they were more intrested in saving money, than in the capabilities of the plane, why in the hell didn't they scrap the ATF and go with the idea of upgrading the F-15? An up graded F-15 would have been ready by now! Considering what I have seen from Lockheed lately (F-22's crashing, F-117's crashing, the failure of the Darkstar program, F-16 problems) I wouldn't feel safe flying one of their planes. They are building things cheap, and it REALLY SHOWS!



posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Meh, who needs stealth anyway? Just fly under the radar.

Zanzibar- who knows damn well what he just said is complete squatch



posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Raptor15
I'm also pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that it has a slightly higher top speed than the Raptor does.

It can go 0.8 mach faster than the F-22, this off the top of my head...




top topics



 
0
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join