Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

NEWS: Cannabis Drug Goes On Sale In Canada!

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The worlds first Cannabis based drug has gone on sale in Canada. The UK made drug Sativex is a mouth spray for sufferers of Multiple Sclerosis. UK based GW Pharmaceuticals said the Canadian market launch of Sativex was a "transforming event" for the company.

news.bbc.co.uk
GW Pharmaceuticals said it remains "committed to securing approval of Sativex across Europe and elsewhere".

GW Pharmaceuticals has been asked to provide more data to support its application for a UK licence.

The UK government granted GW Pharmaceuticals a licence to cultivate cannabis for medical research purposes and plants are grown at a secret location in the English countryside.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is clearly a step forward for the future use of Cannabis as a medicine.

People have known for years the pain killing properties of Cannabis but it has taken till now for Governments to accept it and let people use it.

With Cannabis downgraded from a B-Class to a C-Class drug in the UK last year, it is only a matter of time before the use of Cannabis will become legal for sufferers of conditions such as MS.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Are they improving on an existing street-market drug in Marijuana? Or could GW Pharmaceuticals be capitalizing on a substance which can grown naturally in our very own backyards? Will MS patients ultimately have a choice?

Perhaps we could be seeing the first step in keeping Pot illegal? Can't make a stable profit and secure a market when the end user can grow their own...

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Im sure the product that the company is selling is modified from Cannabis in its natural state.

Many things have been found to be wrong with natural Cannabis so no doubt it has been played around with in the labs before being sold as a mouth spray!

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Great stuff! A huge step forward! Now lets legalize it for recreational use (like thats gonna happen in the near future!
).

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It is a good step. Here, in Canada, it is already more or less legal to get the real recreational thing.
It is one of the reasons this is the greatest place in the world to live..

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Quote: "I'm sure the product that the company is selling is modified from Cannabis in its natural state."

Don't let the picture of a "GW Scientist" holding a Cannabis Plant Fool you - Sativex has little to do with actual Cannabis. It is all Synthetically Manipulated Chemicals based on a "Natural Cannabis Extracts" Derivative!

Sounds like Marketing more than anything else to me!

apc

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Ive done no research on it but I wouldnt be surprised if it's just another form of Marinol.

Personally I hope recreational cannabis stays illegal. The last thing we need is everyone trying to self medicate their mental disorders by rushing to the local Pot Bar. A mainstream RX would be ideal, as with any other drug it is best used under the supervision and control of a physician, and it appears this is the direction being taken.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Ive done no research on it but I wouldnt be surprised if it's just another form of Marinol.

Personally I hope recreational cannabis stays illegal.

And I hope you get shot in a drug related driveby.
Hey this is a DRUG WAR and you just flew your flag in enemy territory.
The illegality of cannabis has turned 10 million Americans into criminals for a plant,
in just the past 9 years.

Originally posted by apc
The last thing we need is everyone trying to self medicate their mental disorders by rushing to the local Pot Bar.
People already do that with food, gambling, alcohol, tobacco, chocolate, coffee, sex, you name it.

Originally posted by apc
A mainstream RX would be ideal, as with any other drug it is best used under the supervision and control of a physician, and it appears this is the direction being taken.

Oh really?
Physicians in America are responsible for 20,000 deaths from misdiagnosis or malpractice each year.

Number of deaths caused directly from cannabis consumption 10,000 years: ZERO.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
well if you really want the fiyah, just get yourself and kief box, no need to support the medical drug complex :p

apc

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer
Number of deaths caused directly from cannabis consumption 10,000 years: ZERO.

I can think of a few car wrecks and suicides..

Hey don't get me wrong I enjoy some good R&R as much as anyone but I think there should be real restrictions on its use and availability. As far as the criminal factor, naturally I would agree our current statutes are rediculous. It's closer to Paxil than it is to Morphine.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
APC, it is actually closer to sugar. In a reverse way.

I don't really care one way or another as it isn't really a big deal here. I don't know anyone born prior to 1965 that hasn't done it. Everything in moderation and nothing to excess. Such a simple philosophy.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Quote: "The Illegality of Cannabis has turned 10 million Americans into Criminals for a plant in just the past 9 years."

Legalizer - I am going to have to agree! The situation that we are in right now is Ridiculous & the Government is OBVIOUSLY Corrupt!

I don't like the fact that it is Illegal! It Simultaneously drives the PRICES way up to Ridiculous levels & brings the Quality of the final Product down!

Not only that but if the DEA catches you with just a FEW Plants & they want to be Jerks about it - they can take away your HOUSE, CAR & all of your Money! A Good Lawyer is pretty Expensive as well!

Be careful kids - this is currently a winner takes all game!

[edit on 21-6-2005 by Seraphim_Serpente]

apc

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   

APC, it is actually closer to sugar. In a reverse way.

Sugar doesn't alter your state of mind for a full week after usage.
And sugar doesn't provide an unhealthy feeling of escape to those suffering from anxiety or depression. Whenever you hear the classic "gateway drug" reference, the criteria is generally surrounding people who use it in this fasion.. looking for an escape. This rapidly becomes an addiction.

Of course it is just as easy for someone to become an alcoholic, however with alcohol most people pay the price the next morning.. marijuana usually has no ill residual effects, so it is easy for users to rapidly reach an unstable and detremental level. Someone who deals with a lot of stress and decides to calm themselves by smoking can quickly progress from a once-a-weekend habit to a once-a-day habit, or maybe once before work/school, once after, once after dinner, once before bed, etc. When you screw around with your brain on a constant basis, things get a bit messed up. Just ask a hippie what time it is... you'll understand.

This is why I toss it into a range between "Paxil and Morphine".. it has long term effects on the brain while not really providing any physically addictive mechanisms. Clear and undeniable medical applications, but like anything else that relieves sobriety, it can be very dangerous when it becomes a problem. This is why it is illegal here today. The dangers are undeniable, and anyone who says there are none is obviously... high.

new topics

top topics

join