It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bolt on stealth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
good call on the B-2 tim! also another reason for its increase in stealth is that the computers used to formulate the design for the 117 couldn't handle all the varibles for a curved surface. but the B-2 was able to use the a cray (sorry about the spl) supercomputer and this was able to handle the info and hence why it would only make more sence for the B-2 to be more stealthy with a lower RCS.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Actually Ghost (Tim), you are right as far as published information goes.
The last published account of the F-117's RCS was in the 0.03 sq ft range with the B-2 a few increments smaller. These estimates are based on publicized data available prior to a variety of upgrades, but the B-2's RCS is probably still considerably smaller.

What is for sure and the original point I was attempting to make is that the F-35 though stealthy, has a much larger RCS than the F-117, this was in answer to Tomcat Ha's statement that the F-35 is as stealthy as the F-117.

Originally posted by tomcat ha
The F35 isnt that stealthy. I heared it is just as stealthy as the F117 and how old is that design?

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
integurl i was wondering if you happen to have the stats to back up the f-35s RCS? for me its hard to believe that ppl have this info already but in a way i dont doubt it either.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
integurl i was wondering if you happen to have the stats to back up the f-35s RCS? for me its hard to believe that ppl have this info already but in a way i dont doubt it either.

Specific RCS data for the F-22, F-117, and B-2 are still classified, the F-35's RCS is most likely unpublished due to it still being in a stage of development where the RCS can change significantly.
What we can go on are guesstimates from aerospace engineers in the know, who can offer a basic range of RCS sizes based on the various attributes and characteristics of the aircraft in question.

It is in this way that the approximate RCS data has been gathered concerning these and other aircraft:

F-18 Super Hornet - 10.75 sq ft
Rafale - 10.75 sq ft
Typhoon - 5.35 sq ft
SR-71 - 0.15 sq ft
F-22 - 0.07 sq ft
F-117 - 0.03 sq ft
B-2 - 0.02 sq ft

It is estimated by these professionals that the F-35's RCS measurements sit somewhere between the Typhoon and the SR-71. I am not sure you can find these stats on the web but it is published in hard copy form in various industry white papers.

Source:
"Comparative data for internal and external clients and competitors", RayCo white paper - Nov. 2004

PS: I found some of these figures substantiated (for the most part) on Aerospaceweb.Org

RAB

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
it's all lower well the usa bit's the raffle is at the top, and the usa bits at the bottom!

The Raffle is a barn door, see it hate the dam thing,

The USA rocks with stealth, the next best the typhoon; sorry no link's your'll all just have to trust me :-] yes i know that will never happen

RAB

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Can anyone get me the RCS of say the X-45 or the X-47. I don't know if these UAV’s will be covered with RAM when they enter service.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The X-45 is going to be really really small, because the entire length of the craft isn't very big and the blended shape will decrease that farther. They're small enough that a C-17 can carry 6. I don't think that they have released anything about the RCS since they're still in the testing phase, but they ARE considered stealth.

The X-45A air vehicle is of a swept wing stealthy design and composite construction using foam matrix core and a composite fibre reinforced epoxy skin, with a wingspan of 10.31m and overall length 8.03m. There is no vertical or canted tail. The low mounted wing and blended fuselage has a straight leading edge and W planform trailing edge.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
The X-45 is going to be really really small, because the entire length of the craft isn't very big and the blended shape will decrease that farther. They're small enough that a C-17 can carry 6. I don't think that they have released anything about the RCS since they're still in the testing phase, but they ARE considered stealth.

You're right on all points...

The Boeing X-45 utilizes knowledge gained from Boeing's "Bird of Prey" project. The BOP was one of the most stealthy aircraft ever to hit the skies and if any of this stealthy lineage has reached the X-45 then it will make the B-2 look like an M-1A tank flying through the air, comparatively speaking.

From an air-to-air perspective these UCAVs may be sitting ducks - but from a surface to air perspective the X-45's will have even greater impunity over enemy territory than the F-117's did over Iraq in Gulf War 1.

The Boeing "Bird of Prey" had an RCS of around 0.000008 sq ft, compare that to the B-2 Spirit's approx 0.02 sq ft. according to industry papers and substantiated by Aerospaceweb.Org as well as in "Brassey's Modern Fighters"

Below are the BoP and the X-45, aside from the BOP having a cockpit, note the family resemblance.
Positioning of wings, and to a certain degree the shape of the wings. The air intake's placement on the fuselage and the shape of the inlet. The shaping of the exhaust area to reduce both IR and radar signature. Also note the shape of the nose areas.

Below: Boeing Bird of Prey

Below: Boeing X-45 UCAV

[edit on 22-6-2005 by intelgurl]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
The F35 isnt that stealthy. I heared it is just as stealthy as the F117 and how old is that design?

F-117 is still very stealthy, F/A-22 is as stealthy as the F-117. JSF is less stealthier than that. The international version of the JSF (for all non-U.S customers) will be even less stealthy.

Stealth

1. B-2
2. (tie) F-117 and F/A-22
3. American F-35s
4. International F-35s

B-1 is either #4 or #5, or tied for #4. I have no clue where X-45 and X-47 rank.

[edit on 23-6-2005 by NWguy83]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   

zaphod58
They're small enough that a C-17 can carry 6.

Thats irrelevant information.
Because your refering to the X-45A.....Which 2 were built, there not in production...they are still performing various test with them...but after...dust collectors at a museum.
The X-45C which is the next varient, is highly likely to go into production, I'm sure it's RCS will be very small...smaller then the B-2. Its size is larger then the X-45A, yet much smaller then the B-2. It wont have wings that can come off, so it wont even be able to fit on a C-17.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The point I was trying to make however was that it was a small stealthy design, so the RCS would be about as small as you could get with current technologies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join