It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which is supposed to be the better aircraft the F/A 22 raptor or the JSF??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Which is the better aircraft the Raptor or the joint strike fighter or are they equal? Just surious that's all.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by thecry
Which is the better aircraft the Raptor or the joint strike fighter or are they equal? Just surious that's all.

Air-to-air = Raptor
Air-to-ground = tie

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
The JSF is better at air to ground its made to compliment the Raptor. The Raptor mainly takes care of the skies and the JSF mainly takes care of the ground.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   
It's really comparing apples and oranges. The primary mission of each type is different. The F-22 is an A2A platform with limited strike capability, while the F-35 is a strike aircraft with A2A capability. The F-35 is more like the F-15E, it drops bombs, and can do A2A when it has to.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
actually the F-15E because of its wing design is more at home in the a2a role then hugging the ground like the tornado. the E was made or updated for the strike role due to the ease and ablity for the 15 to be mulit role not becasue it better at ground attack. the 15's home is still in the open skies with a bogie on his 6(let the fun begin).

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Zaphod58, the significant difference between the two, besides the obvious, is that the Raptor has a far lower RCS than the JSF.

seekerof

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Well, the Raptor has a greater budjet... The F-22 is an Air superiority fighter, with Air to Ground capabilities... The X-35 is "only" designed to "ground to air" combat... So the Raptor winns... Even thoug the X-35 needs a shorter runway, and it can also go vertical...

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
lots of people on the forums right now are sayin that the RCS of the F-35 is horrible. now im not ruling that out but it strikes me as weird that alot of the airforce has a huge focus on stealth and you telling me that they didn't do that to this plane(35). now if people tell me that it is indeed stealthy but not to the point of being undectable i can belive that seeing as its made to be a strike plane. u strike it emlimate the target equaling less threat so where is the huge need fro stealth in that role.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
master FIN if i understand correctly from what ive read up on the 35 it still will have a2a even though much more limited then the 22.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Which other countries are going to be buying the JSF? Briton would be one,I hope Canada buys a few of them.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Canada has put in a huge amount of funding and also has companies up here that are making parts for the JSF. it honeslty wouldn't make sence if we didn't buy some.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Britain, Italy, the Netherlands, Canada, Norway, Denmark, Turkey, The U.S. and possibly Australia.
www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/f-35.htm

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
dont forget India is a possiblity now lol

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Well, until something official comes down, I wouldn't expect that to happen. The only indication we have of that is the appearance of an F-35 model in Indian Air Force colors at the Lockheed booth at an air show in India. I will say that we would be much more likely to see Indian F-35s in the future if India ends up buying some of the F-16's we're offering them...

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Horses for courses.

F22 for A2A with a very secondary A2G role and F35 for A2G with no secondary A2A role.

Then we can consider costs; F22 astoundingly expensive, F35 'just' grossly expensive.

top topics

join