It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Spelling Checkers (or something) Go Monty Python

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I'm not sure if they'll have fixed this by the time y'all get around to viewing it, so I'm quoting a hefty bit of this for everyone:
dailytelegraph.news.com.au...

The test looked for two compounds - N-acetyl aspartame and mA-inositol and found their levels could predict which patients developed Alzheimer's.

Dr Neil Giraffe-Aardvark of the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville and colleagues found that blood levels of a protein called amyloid beta 42 plunged three to five years before a patient was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

This is presumably because the protein, which makes up the brain-clogging fibres associated with Alzheimer's, is staying in the brain instead of circulating in the blood, Giraffe-Aardvark said.

Err.... hello?

Reality check?????

I did check (just in case... you never know...) and there's no scientist or researcher known as Giraffe-Aardvark. There's a Neil Graff-Radford, MD there who studies neurodegenerative diseases, but there is NO explaination for that bit of Monty Pythonesque mangling of someone's name.

It'll be fun to see how long this runs before it's caught or it spreads. Poor Dr. Graff-Radford... I wonder how long he'll be hung with that "Giraffe-Aardvark" nickname?
www.mayo.edu...

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Good find Byrd!

I guess sometimes we rely too much on our technology and too little on our own brains!

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I am trying to ascertain what the hybrid product of Mr Giraffe and Mrs Aardvark would look like.

It's a somewhat plausible creature, especially for feeding on arboreal ants, but you might never be able to distinguish where the neck ends and the snout begins.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

It'll be fun to see how long this runs before it's caught or it spreads. Poor Dr. Graff-Radford... I wonder how long he'll be hung with that "Giraffe-Aardvark" nickname?

Boy, I'm thinking The Rest of his Life.
It's just too good to forget!

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
It is such a bad idea for me to read things like this at 2AM. I probably just woke up the entire apartment building.

That is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
You've never heard of Dr. Giraffe-Aardvark?
Unbelievable.
He's just as influential as Dr. Elephant-Armadillo if not more.
Both were students of Dr. Moreau i believe.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Well is is 9:20 am the next day and it is corrected -- I would love to know how long it took to fix it.

I am also really glad I had finished my coffee before I got to that part
That is going to make me giggle all day long I just know it.

Great find Byrd -- in all honesty I probably wouldn't have noticed it because I sometimes speed over names in articles.

Can you imagine if he wins the Nobel Prize and gets introduced as Dr. Giraffe-Aardvark

new topics

top topics

join