It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guess what Dell is up to

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
A friend sent me this on msn, i couldn't believe it when i read it

c0x2.de...

keyloggers?!?

this is a letter he got back from the Department of homeland security

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I think this might be a hoax..
www.engadget.com...
or, is it?
Maybe the "This is a hoax" page is a hoax?

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Well...

we wasnt sure about the site or not, when i was shown it, i was told that it might be a hoax. Im gonna look into it thou

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Cool,

Check out comment number 11, on that page I mentioned.
There are some documents linked there.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
According to snopes, this is nothing more than a hoax.

I've scoured the net, and I've found no supporting evidence that Dell really is installing keyloggers either. Any time I find anything mentioning it, it's just the above story rehashed.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I think the fact that the name of the html document is lol.html make it a hoax.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This is a blatant hoax. Snopes actually provides a link to the scanned image of a letter that the hoax creator blurred out to use it for his own purposes. Note the similarities (file numbers and header) and how the letter lists absolute zero specific material conveniently leaving the rest out.

Pretty desperate :-D

infinite, you said that is a letter your friend received? the file numbers match Congresswoman Slaughter's letter. And if you look at the address your friend blurred out, it is addressed to the Congresswoman as well. Either your friend is the Congresswoman herself, or someone's not being nice to you...

[edit on 6-19-2005 by Djarums]

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
no, no...my friend sent me the link to the site...

the letter is taken off the site. My friend has nothing to do with it, he found the site
We think its a hoax too because it just has that feel to it

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Hmmm......just one question:

Why would you want to hoax something that dumb?

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   

My friend has nothing to do with it, he found the site

Oh haha. Ok no prob. I was just gonna suggest whatever source it came from be taken with a grain of salt, because the person did a horrendous job of using the blur tool with whatever program they used, and you can pretty clearly see the Congresswoman's name is still at the header of the letter, and the issue numbers are related to her letter as well.

Chickst3r, that's a great question and the only answer I can think of is someone would create this hoax to add more ammunition to those who are paranoid about anything under the sun. People have been running around for years saying everything you type is tracked and reported etc, so by heaping on more "evidence" you make people more paranoid.

I don't know what the end goal is here, because of these nutcases succeed in making everyone not want to sign on a computer, they will lose their audiences won't they?

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Great, they didn't say what the request was for specifically and you didn't elaborate.. perhaps you may first start with telling us ATS people what was the request for?

Dallas

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
There was no real request. It was a digitally manipulated copy of someone else's request that was used to try and acheive legitimacy.

You can tell because the blur is done poorly, and the original document (as is the case with almost all government documents) is done block style, while that one is not.

No request took place because no keylogging took place.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply. I'm running a highend DELL so when that name comes up it really get's my interest up - fast.

Dallas

top topics

join