It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bullied S.Korea soldier runs amok, kills 8 comrades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   
SEOUL (Reuters) - A South Korean soldier who suffered bullying took his revenge on Sunday, hurling a handgrenade among sleeping comrades and then opening fire on them, killing eight, the Defense Ministry said.¸

The private, identified by his surname "Kim," fired 40 shots from his rifle after throwing the grenade at his guard post in Yonchon, about 60 km (40 miles) north of the capital Seoul, a ministry spokesman said.

"Private Kim, who had suffered verbal violence and molesting from his senior, threw the grenade when he entered his barracks after overnight duty," Chang Suk-kyu, a chief spokesman for the ministry, told a briefing.

It was the highest number of deaths suffered by the South Korean army since 2000, Yonhap news agency said.

source:
Reu ters

This kind of Events just show how stressfull can a Military State be - like the North and South Korea.

Sometimes Soldiers just cant handle all the Pressure.

If you watched Kubrick movie Full Metal Jacket, you remember "Private Pile", which has been bullied by his Drill Sargeant all the time, and in the end Private shot the Sargeant and then Himself.

Some Men are not fit to become Soldiers.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
And from the BBC News:

He was returning from an overnight patrol in the early hours of Sunday, when he attacked the soldiers who were sleeping at a guard post.

The unit was stationed close to the demilitarised zone, the stretch of no-man's land that divides North and South Korea.

The BBC's Charles Scanlon says there are frequent reports of bullying and violence against conscripts in South Korea's 600,000-man army.

The military is already under pressure following the infiltration of an unarmed North Korean soldier through the demilitarised zone last week.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Some Men are not fit to become Soldiers.

You seem quite eager to put the blame on the soldier who shot the others. I wonder how you would react if you'd be subjected to inhumane bullying. This is a pandemic problem in some countries, like Russia, causing conscripts to commit suicide. It is not always about the soldiers "not being fit", instead about inhumane actions. Don't judge too easily.

Russia: Military Conscripts Caught In Deadly 'Cycle Of Violence'
(...)
Every year, some 800,000 conscripts enter the Russian military. For their first 12 months, as described in the Human Rights Watch report, they are virtual slaves to their older colleagues, forced to hand over money, food, personal effects, and perform tasks day and night for their "masters." Insubordination is punished by beatings and humiliation. The climate of scarcity in the Russian military -- where food supplies and proper supplies are often inadequate -- encourage this system.
(...)

[edit on 19-6-2005 by Simon666]

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
You can't say "Some people aren't fit to be students" when they shoot up their school, so I don't know why you could say "Some men aren't fit to be soldiers" when they do something like this.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simon666
You seem quite eager to put the blame on the soldier who shot the others. I wonder how you would react if you'd be subjected to inhumane bullying. This is a pandemic problem in some countries, like Russia, causing conscripts to commit suicide. It is not always about the soldiers "not being fit", instead about inhumane actions. Don't judge too easily.

I understand that bullying is a serious attack on a Person, and I do not judge this soldier at all.

Maybe he was not fit to become a soldier and to overcome the stress of the Military.

I know the pressure of the Military can (and ofthen is) too much for the young ones to handle.

But thats what you get, when Army rules the World.

I am against Military in the first place and I do not support any of its actions.

I think World would be a far better place without so many Soliders and Weapons - but, its not likely to happen anyway.

But this kind of events happen all the time, we cannot escape that.

And in the Military Societies, like both Koreas are, there are frequent reports of violence and bullying in the Army ranks.

More Soldiers, more Problems to handle.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
And that says about all of it.

You intentionally cause another human being suffering and pain, you f***ing die for it. Plain and simple.

Deny ignorents!

Did you guys see how that US military recruit was bullied until he drowned in a pool in training? That is what will happen to you if you do not defend yourself against that type of crap. Its so simple and straight forward, I just don't get why people don't understand this stuff.. if people will NOT treat you with proper respect they won't save your life when you are drowning either.. its SO DAMN SIMPLE. So when people endanger your life like that you endanger theirs in return.. and do not tell me (you little USA military worshiping s**ts) that it doesn't work the same way as it does a state?

"The USA was attacked on 9-11 and now we must go and find people to beat up so that it doesn't happen again."

Tell me where the difference is.

[edit on 20/6/2005 by Vis Mega]

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
I am against Military in the first place and I do not support any of its actions.

I think World would be a far better place without so many Soliders and Weapons - but, its not likely to happen anyway.

i agree with u Souljah but military is military kinda like u have a gun to protect yerself. military is to protect u. otherwise u be speaking in Germany or watever if Germany hadnt conquer some other nation be doing that. if they let u live
. since u aint Aryan race or agree with it.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
i agree with u Souljah but military is military kinda like u have a gun to protect yerself. military is to protect u. otherwise u be speaking in Germany or watever if Germany hadnt conquer some other nation be doing that. if they let u live
. since u aint Aryan race or agree with it.

Yeah well, maybe you are Right.

Our Security is Measured by the number of Nuclear Warheads Today, and by the number of tanks and soldiers.

The More you have - the Secure you are.

But the more Men you have, the more Problems to handle and to make them Live with and Understand each other.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vis Mega
And that says about all of it.

You intentionally cause another human being suffering and pain, you f***ing die for it. Plain and simple.

Deny ignorents!

Did you guys see how that US military recruit was bullied until he drowned in a pool in training? That is what will happen to you if you do not defend yourself against that type of crap. Its so simple and straight forward, I just don't get why people don't understand this stuff.. if people will NOT treat you with proper respect they won't save your life when you are drowning either.. its SO DAMN SIMPLE. So when people endanger your life like that you endanger theirs in return.. and do not tell me (you little USA military worshiping s**ts) that it doesn't work the same way as it does a state?

"The USA was attacked on 9-11 and now we must go and find people to beat up so that it doesn't happen again."

Tell me where the difference is.

[edit on 20/6/2005 by Vis Mega]

Not everyone can fight back. If you're small you'll just get laughed at and the crap beaten out of you, maybe killed.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Sometimes Soldiers just cant handle all the Pressure.

I agree, But he did not "snap" because of the military lifestyle or the stresses of being a soldier....he snapped because of the,

"Private Kim, who had suffered verbal violence and molesting from his senior

SK has mandantory service for thier military....the term is 17 months I think.

If you watched Kubrick movie Full Metal Jacket, you remember "Private Pile", which has been bullied by his Drill Sargeant all the time, and in the end Private shot the Sargeant and then Himself.

FMJ is a movie, not real life....back in the day they the Drill Instructors would "hit" the recruits....that in the Marine Corps that does not go on now....not tolerated! Those who do so are punished. DI's can only touch recruits in order to save a life, adjust thier uniform after they let them know what they are doing and for instructional purposes only.

[edit on 20/6/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
I agree, But he did not "snap" because of the military lifestyle or the stresses of being a soldier....he snapped because of the, ""Private Kim, who had suffered verbal violence and molesting from his senior"

Yes I Agree he did not Snap because of the Military lifestyle.

But again, Military did made THIS out of him.

And Military has Seniors that are violent and are molesting younger.

FMJ is a movie, not real life....back in the day they the Drill Instructors would "hit" the recruits....that in the Marine Corps that does not go on now....not tolerated! Those who do so are punished. DI's can only touch recruits in order to save a life, adjust thier uniform after they let them know what they are doing and for instructional purposes only.

I know its just a Movie - but things like that happen and have happened before.

What do you think this Senior Officer did to this Private Kim, in order for him to kill 8 Comrades?

Sometimes Psychological Damage is more destructive then Physical Damage.

And whatever this Senior did, he must have Pushed this Private over the Edge - just how DI pushed Private Pile over the Edge in FMJ.

top topics

join