It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq war support

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Myself, I am Canadian, so I dont want to force anything on anyone. Just a simple statement.

If there are people supporting president bush, they fully understand they are in a war situation, why is military recruitment down?

Does it make sense to have tons of support for bush, but when it comes down to recruits there are none?

Surely in millions of votes there would be enough to fill army goals?

Whats the deal with that?

How can people support the idea and not deliver?

This is the opposite of the ole politician lieing to get in government and then backing out when its done !

Oh we support you Mr. Bush, we are behind you !

But I dont want to go to war.

Just a thought.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Very good point. But, I think that the majority of people that support Bush are like 30+, and have no aspirations to join the military and go to war.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by yinyang04011
...no aspirations to join the military and go to war.

Thats just it. Less and less people are joining up. Why? Are people more savvy these days and see the idea of military service as a ticket to a bullet in the head rather than a chance for glory and honour? Are people less inclined to serve their country in foreign lands? Maybe it's just that the armed forces don't pay enough.
As for me, I ain't going Iraq to fight in no phony war. No Iraqi ever called me a honky.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Its very hard to judge whether or not one would want to go to war.

I try to put myself in the position, and play it out like Im living in the states.

I really dont know what I would do. When I look at the war, I just dont see the reason.

To an extent, I can see the war helping, and not in some ways.

In one way, its for american safety. And safety is always good. But shouldnt afghanistan be "cleaned up" first?

I felt that move to be just too much, that being going into Iraq with Bin Laden, what I figured was the source of the problem, still at bay.

So now its operation Iraqi freedom. Which is good, in that the soldiers are helping to improve the lives of others.

But do you think all the "bad" guys will just stop? Go away? Never return?

No.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Perhaps if the pay was increased people would join, but its not all about money, actually it should be about none when being patriotic.

what do they make down there anyways?

As for the 30+ voters that dont want to go to war...

I thought alot of the campaigns were "getting the vote out" to the young voters?

Of course they didnt meet expectations there either.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I’m telling you clones would solve all of this recruitment problem

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Well pictures of war remind people what its really about.

Numbers for joining the army are down because normal people do not want to be killed. More importantley normal people do not want to kill other humans.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
Well pictures of war remind people what its really about.

Numbers for joining the army are down because normal people do not want to be killed. More importantley normal people do not want to kill other humans.

Hopefully by "normal" you didnt mean any offense to those who gave their lives for us.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I believe one major reason is that the further this war progressed, the more news came out about the injust of it happening (ie: false pretenses).

Add to that last, of pretensis, this latest: In Bush's (smack) latest speach, we went to this war because "we were attacked". WTF? Last week it was because Iraq had WMD's. Same war, different lie. That meaning, last week it was BinLaden who attacked us. But, if now the statement is "because we were attacked" is the reason we are now in Iroq, that means OBL is not even in the damn picture anymore.

So, which lie do people take, to go enlist, and kill or be killed?

"We Were Attacked" (yahoo.news - 18Jun05)

Misfit

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The funny thing, or sad thing, however you choose to see it, is the whole war on "terror"

dictionary.reference.com...

1-Intense, overpowering fear. See Synonyms at fear.

2- One that instills intense fear: a rabid dog that became the terror of the neighborhood.

3-The ability to instill intense fear: the terror of jackboots pounding down the street.

4-Violence committed or threatened by a group to intimidate or coerce a population, as for military or political purposes.

5- Informal. An annoying or intolerable pest: that little terror of a child.

I dont want to offend anyone, but really, the united states government fits the terror definition quite well.

They force the fear on the american people that basically you are NOT safe unless we defeat these "evil" people.

Definition 4 fits the war perfectly. Violence committed or threatened by a group (us military) to intimidate (new government) or coerce (force people, ie voting) a population (iraq and afghanistan) as for military or political purposes. Well the end writes itself.

5- Would be the us government again, or perhaps the president, whoever you chose to view it.

So where does the war on terror end?

There are alot of bad people out there.

Street gangs fit the terror definition.

They are a threat to american lives that is very real. How about they do something about that?

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
Add to that last, of pretensis, this latest: In Bush's (smack) latest speach, we went to this war because "we were attacked". WTF?

Yeah I read that same article and laughed at the Iraq/911 reference.

I mean...did he pick up an old speech by accident?

[edit on 6/19/2005 by Lecky]

top topics

join