It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Cosby...was right

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I've been reading Charles Barkley's "Who's Afraid of a Large Black Man?" as well as reading articles on Bill Cosby's current work with the NAACP.

Well that in mind, I went to the mall today and on more than several occasions I saw small black children, and I mean no more than 4 years old, completely gangstered out, with bling, matching caps, and baggy shorts, alongside their thug like,highschool parents. In particular their was this one child, who was probably 2, that had baggy shorts on with a cap tilted sideways, and a grandmother who was making him dance to the song "Get Low" by Lil Jon that was coming from the speakers in the mall. It was pathetic to see this woman, yet alone grandmother(probably in 40's) teaching her grandchild to dance to that #. She kept dancing and saying "hmmm" and # like this was gospel music. It was pathetic to see how instead of teaching these kids how to grow up with a positive and natural environment, they decided to thug them out as young as possible.

These people are the same people that probably did not go out to vote, and yet will give # to Bill Cosby for trying to raise the bar for African Americans and get blacks more involved in today's society.

A friend of mine works at the mall and when I talked with him he was walking around in the store and when any time he would walk by a black kid, who was dressing normal, nothing fancy, the kid would almost seem scared or worried, as if he was doing something wrong. Fear, that Cosby and Barkley discussed was the worst thing for a black man to have. Then my friend would walk by a group of young black kids, who were all thugged out, wearing bling everything, were acting like they owned the place, and everyone around needed to get the [edit] out of their way. When people would greet them in the store, they would just ignore them and laugh. Makes me [edit] sick to see how in today's society, young African Americans look up to and respect rappers and stars who talk about "bitches and ho's , and 20-inch rims" and murder and steal for their "image," while people like Bill Cosby and Charles Barkley get [edit] from the Black Community for telling kids to get an education and be respectful and show pride in their culture. Why is it when it comes to the improvement African Americans, blacks are quick to argue and judge, yet raising your kids to be pimps, and [edit], they can go right ahead,untouched?

Bill Cosby is right, the way the young African American community is heading, is straight towards the destruction of everything people like MLK Jr. Malcolm X,Rosa Parks,Frederick Douglas, Harriet Tubman, W.E.B. Dubois, Booker T. Washington,Jackie Robinson, Jesse Owens, Marcus Garvey, Thurgood Marshall, Nelson Mandela, Langston Hughes,Jesse Jackson and Muhamed Ali, worked so hard to get.

MOD EDIT: Please don't use profanity in the forums.

[edit on 18-6-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Regardless of how many black people I see dressing a certain way, does not make me label them as a entire group going "bad".

I mean I'm white, and if I dress a certain way I'm not concerned about shaming the white community. LOL!

How I dress reflects myself, and that's all I'm going to worry about and that's all somebody else should worry about.

[edit on 18-6-2005 by Ksnazdnzon]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
It's not about dress or image, it's about basic and fundamental faith in achievment... Cosby says it is largely misplaced in today's (black? youth.) society (i.e., rap music makes many young people think they can become rich rappers, so they put all of their eggs in that basket).

I agree with Cosby to a large extent, but phases and trends among youths come and go, and his complaints are probably just about another trend.

Zip

join