It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40M credit cards hacked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
money.cnn.com...

I have about had it with all this financial hacking the last year. Just recently a bank lost its "information" via UPS in transit to a credit repository. Has security just gone to the waist side or is there a bigger plan or problem in progress?

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It does seem like we're almost being herded toward something from my perspective. These security issues are getting some political attention now.

Not quite sure what it all means, but even if all the sloppy security and thefts are just a coincidence, and even if all the media hype is just standard operating procedure, my guess is the political reaction won't be, and will serve an agenda not our own.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Thank you Rant, appreciate it.

I somehow don't think it is really security. A few years back the Privacy Act came out and finanical institutions were basically forbidden to sell your stuff. So with no more sales have we turned to just having it just "accidently stolen"? Too many banks have been hit and now a card server for the banks. The big question is just what does the "hacker" plan to do with this info...........go crazy at Target for a month and leave the country? Most identity theft is for profit and not normally on such a large scale as this thus the motive is questionable to me at this time.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Have they found out who is responsible?

Are heads rolling for allowing it?

Will these lapses affect internet use? (Sorry - this is not my area of expertise.. trying to get my head around it.)

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
As of right now only about 168,000 of the 40 mil are supposed to have real threats. Of course they do not now what happened and I am sure some employee will be the fall guy for the whole mess so that the media can move onto something else.

This is one story that I , who do not lean toward conspiracy, may actually have to cry "this is a conspiracy". Your would be day to day crook does not hack into 6 banks in less than a year. First, your average crook is not that smart. Second, you can only fit so much into the bag. I suspect you will see little fraudulent credit card activity. There will be some to seal the story and make it plausible but I doubt theft is the real motive here.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
You may be right about the conspiracy angle. It could very well be much larger than any of us suspect. Too bad we don't have any friends here from the Treasury to give us the inside scoop.

new topics

top topics

join