It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffalo

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrNECROS
Whatever it is it's symbol denotes it as be subordinate to the UGLE so its clearly a "regular" Masonic Lodge of some sort.

Nope. It's a stand-alone fraternal society. Good or bad...you decide...but it's NOT a Masonic organization. There are likely some members who are both Masons and Buffs, but not inter-connected....not Masonic.

Sorry.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well, as far as I can tell, the Buffalo run in the same vein as The Eagles, The Elks, and The Moose. Secret Societies that use animals as their tag typically run charities, in addition to supporting their own retirement homes, kids workshops, helping widows, etc., etc., etc...

A lot of these cropped up after WWII, with the the sudden growth of widows and orphans who needed support. The VA did not yet exist, and the best jobs automatically went to the first soldiers to return from the war. Of course, there was also massive unemployment, since the domestic market could not absorb sooo many soldiers coming home at once. As much as some people like to poke fun at these organizations, the fact is, they kept a lot of people from starving. God bless 'em.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by senrak

Originally posted by MrNECROS
Whatever it is it's symbol denotes it as be subordinate to the UGLE so its clearly a "regular" Masonic Lodge of some sort.

Nope. It's a stand-alone fraternal society. Good or bad...you decide...but it's NOT a Masonic organization. There are likely some members who are both Masons and Buffs, but not inter-connected....not Masonic.

MrNECROS believes they are masonic because their seal has a banner that says "Grand Lodge of England". This is obviously the Grand Lodge of Buffaloes, but he thinks it's the same thing as the United Grand Lodge of England, which is the Grand Lodge of Freemasonry in the area. I still haven't figured out why he willingly chooses to be so ignorant.

Originally posted by toelint
Well, as far as I can tell, the Buffalo run in the same vein as The Eagles, The Elks, and The Moose. Secret Societies that use animsals as their tag typically run charities, in addition to supporting their own retirement homes, kids workshops, helping widows, etc., etc., etc...

Elks, Moose and the like are not secret societies. They are called Fraternal Orders or Service Organizations.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
as a certified primo in the buffalo order i feel perhaps i should intervene here. buffaloism, is basically an old fashioned social club, set up along the lines of masonic tradition. the order of buffaloes can trace it heritage back to the city of lushington, a social club for actors and stage hands working in the drewry lane theartre in great russell street london. the city of lushington was a club for actors and stagehands working at the theater and met in the harp tavern. the chairman was known as "my lord mayor".
the club bcame so popular that eventually, it began restricting members, so, a new club, called the buffalo society, named after that hithirto forgotten bllad the buffalo, was established in the same meeting place as the city of lushington club. because of the good work ofome innovative freemasons, the buffalo society was transformed into an ancient order complete with egress, andregalia, as befitting of such a society, and today is one of the worlds biggest fraternitys.the primo buffo is basically the chairman of the lodge meeting. in order for him to get to the position of primo he must go before the certifiying council of his provincial grand lodge district and recall from memory all he knows about the ritual and the workings of the minor lodge. if he succeeds he will be presented with his intermediate certificiate, which entitles him to be raised to the second degree. in true buffloism, that is, the grand lodge of england buffaloism, there are four degrees. in reality i suppose thismakes buffaloism a basic simplified form of freemasonry, on par with other orders such as the oddfelows.the four degrees are kangaroo, or first degree, primo, or second deree, knight order of merit or third degree, and the roll of honour or fourth degree. i hope this has been some helpand or interest to you.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I may have to sign up. For some reason, I just can't resist a degree called "kangaroo".

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Thanks bufallo_bill, and welcome to ATS by the way.

Very intersting information. So the original group was called "The City of Lushington", thats pretty neat. Am I wrong or is 'lushington' a reference to drinking and having fun, ie, being a lush?

Is this group still around? Did it ever reconile with the RAOB?

So the degrees are

1. 1st Degree, Kangaroo
  2. 2nd Degree, Primo
  3. 3rd Degree, Knight Order of Merit
  4. 4th Degree, Roll of Honor

Why is the second degree called 'first'? primo means 'first'.
If the 4th degree an honourary degree, like the 33rd degree in masonry is, like it has to be awarded by a council, or do you just apply for it and do the work that is required for it?

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
First Post!

As you can see from the "handle", I am a 3rd degree member of the "Buffs", and so qualified to comment

I note that one of our ceremonies (initiation of a new Brother) is quoted above. Not too surprising, as all of our rules and ceremonies are in our book which is, I believe, available from W.H.Smiths! (UK large bookstore)

Our only secrets are the "signs and passwords", of which each of our four degrees has one of each. A password, which can be used to check the validity of an unknown person wishing to enter our lodge meetings, perhaps a visitor, and a "sign" which is really a form of "salute". These are the only aspects of our Order which are secret.

We are all about mutual aid - at a time when unemployment was at a high, our working members aided the unemployed. When a member died leaving a widow and orphan child(ren), the members aided them. If a member is sick, he can expect to be visited by his fellow lodge members; and if his wife is sick, she can expect a bouquet of flowers on her return home from hospital. I could give many more examples. (note - personal career advancement is not "part of the package, and joining members are required to state that they expect to receive nothing from membership, apart from the pleasure of giving)

These days, we are lucky that unemployment, and loss of income from sickness are rarer than in days past,so most lodges have "surplus" funds to the requirements of their own members. Some of this is passed on the Grand Lodge (of England) charities, whilst other funds, and funds raised explicitly for the purpose, go to our own lodges (usually local) charity. I am lucky in belonging to a (Mid-East expatriate) lodge, and most of us are "hale and hearty", so we have been able to give in the past to childrens' hospices, hospitals, Scout groups, and many other causes.

For those interested, a "Kangaroo", or First Degree, obtains advancement to Second Degree ("Primo") by attending regularly for one full year and passing a verbal exam. Most of this exam is to ensure that, as a Primo, he is able to do the things that may be required of him - running the lodge ("chairman") and conducting ceremonies such as the initiation. From there, one "progresses" by regular attendance and taking part in the activities (meetings and fund-raising events) for 3 years (to "Knight") and 5 years (from Knight to "Roll of Honour"), as decided by a vote of the members of your lodge.

Should Philanthropy and Good Fellowship be of interest to you,you would be very welcome to approach a local lodge with a view to joining. If you are honest and upright, and concerned for your fellow man, you will be very welcome in the order, and will find that it offers an evening a good fun and fellowship.

I should add that religion (or lack of it) has no impact on your worthiness to join, and that joining has no impact on any religious values that you may have. We welcome Christians, Muslims, Humanists, Atheists, with the same outstretched arms

Sir Stu, Knight of the Order of Merit

Thanks to the owners of this board for the privelige of posting this reply

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Greetings!,
It's my first post (whoopee), and one of the main reasons I joined this site;
I am a First Degree Brother in the R.A.O.B. , i.e. the new guy or Kangaroo (they bounce you from one job to the next until you know the workings of the Lodge).
I have read some of the posts here with mounting trepidation, and have to confess; Yes we are evil and run the World. Sorry.
Yeah, right... we are a Fraternal Society i.e. no girlies (Women can join The Glades which is of course our sister organisation).
We are not a secret society, we are a society with secrets, bit like when you got together with your mates at school and formed a secret gang complete with secret hideout. We get together once a week for our Lodge meeting (in a pub function room, we could'nt afford our own temple or Pyramid Of Doom) , have a few beers, raise a fair bit of cash for the charity fund. We built a school for the Tsunami kids, and I nearly got kicked out for asking if it was on stilts (it was a genuine question).
By the way, yes, the school IS on stilts. Personally, I was in charge of more secrets when I was in the Army, being the proud possessor of an EPV (Enhanced Positive Vetting) security clearance. My late father was a Second Degree Mason at the time of his death, and I am proud to be his son. Do I beleive there are societies controlling things?, well I saw lots of inexplicable stuff during my Service, and personally I beleive if a secret organisation was running the show, it would go a bit smoother than the World is running at present.
Maybe by being a member of the R.A.O.B. I do not have much credence with the majority of ATS members , but let me ask this; You had to have a password given to you when joining ATS, and would you give me YOUR password?. Thought not. Anyway, I'm off to peruse the Site and continue MY search for the truth.
Yours, Mark.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
i have overheard that masons are also called goats while the left side are buffalo's, but what is the third way?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by fill0000

For heaven’s sake child my grate grand father, my grand father and my father on both sides are or were part of the R.A.O.B I even have there medals including one of the All Seeing Eye in my room, and I've never found it strange.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by senrak

My name is Stephen RMcNally my father was a buff and so was my Grand father. I just want to find out more and may be try and join

top topics

<< 1   >>

join