It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animals Acting Up in California?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   
This is taken from an AP story about the string of moderate quakes that have rocked CA this week:

"Elsewhere in Southern California, some owners took their dogs to the veterinarian for tranquilizer shots.
"The ones that are frantic are usually the ones with owners that are frantic, too," said Marilyn Lilla, 58, who works at the General Dog and Cat Hospital in San Bernardino."

apnews.myway.com...

We've all heard stories from the 2004 tsunami that indicated animals 'sensed' the disaster ahead of time. It's also been considered a 'given' among some quake researchers that animals can sense tectonic shifts before humans for quite a while...

...so is this an indicator of a soon to develop major quake in CA?

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Sensed is the wrong word, more like felt and heard. Or maybe it is the right word heh, they have much better senses then we can ever fathom first hand....yet that is
My Cat routinely hears thunderstorms waay before we do and he hides. That's how we know its coming, screw the weather services having a pet is the best predictor imo. If the Animals start going crazy or start disappearing with no bodies to be found and you're on the coast get to higher ground immediately!

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Is there anyone out there in California who has seen animals acting up recently? If something big does happen... it would be nice to have stories about animal behavior recorded and out there for public viewing with a time stamp from before it happened.

So... anyone notice anything unusual?

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
sardion2000 has it correct.

Animals can hear much, much better than we can and can also hear much lower frequencies than we can. Earthquakes let off a lot of very loud low frequency sounds that carry quite a ways. The animals hear this and know danger is heading it's way so they freak out, most likely due to the fact that they are locked up in the house or fence and can't go to a safe place.

Owners of pets do have an influence on their pets. If they are calm the pets will remain calm, if the owners freak out the pets will freak out.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I live in redondo beach in southern california (los angeles south bay) and have/had 4 cats. They usually just hang out on the balcony and don't go very far. One of my cats, the most timid one, suddenly disappeared about a week ago. She has never strayed away before, and so it's not like her to just disappear. The other 3 cats have been behaving differently, as well. They ALL seem to be more nervous than normal, pacing a lot, having squabbles and craving attention/affection a lot more than normal.

It hadn't even crossed my mind before reading this thread that this unusual behavior might be somehow related to recent seismic activity.

Hmmmm ...

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Im living near sacramento, i havent noticed anything weird from my two dogs, or any of my friends pets... All of them have been acting like their usual selves..

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
On a recent flight from Orlando, Fla. to Austin, Tx, I visited with an Orlando area native who has a large farm about a half hour outside of Orlando. We were talking about animals in general, and then the discussion came around to last summer's four hurricanes in Florida.

She noted that most of her animals acted up quite a bit in the weeks leading up to the first storm, and really acted odd throughout the window of all four storms. Her horses and cats were the most noticeable.

She was a horse breeder and had also spent many years working in the veterinary practice. She firmly believed that animals can sense upcoming danger (storms, etc.) and noted that she had witnessed it many times throughout her career with animals.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I live in the bay area and i noticed this, if youve seen that movie dreamcatcher where the animals are all fleeing the woods. I know that birds fly together but I saw to flocks and it looked like fleeing more than just traveling. california is going to sink sooner than later i feel

Uma

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I live in Southern California.

All cats, dogs, frogs, lizards, fish and birds in my vicinity are acting completely normal.

I used to have a dog that predicted large quakes with 100% accuracy, though sometimes you only got a few minutes notice.

Still though, I've heard that there is a 1 in 20 chance of a big quake this week, since there have been moderate quakes.

Might be a good time to check emergency supplies if you live in California.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Funny you should start this thread. I was going to start one asking the same question. When animals run or behave strange something wayward this way comes. I'm worried for the Californians.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
When we were living in Washington State and just before Mount St. Helen's blew our pet Cockatoo was acting really strange. He (Mr. Bill) would pace back and forth on his perch bobbing his head down towards the floor. Mr. Bill did this continuously for two days, before the mountain erupted!
We would jokingly make comments concerning his odd behavior, like:
"Jeeze that crazy bird is acting weird lately hope we aren't gonna have an earthquake or something!" He stopped pacing and bobbing, after the mountain blew it's top!
Then we moved to Nevada's high desert and went, without electricity for 8 years. Virtually we became one with the wild animals. You pick up on them and seem to be able to read what their intentions are. This probably doesn't make sense to most, unless you've experienced it. This year we have an over abundance of cottontail rabbits, jackrabbits, quail, chipmunks, and doves. I guess they feel pretty safe here, because our whole property is fenced off. Not to mention we have the only trees surrounding the place for miles.
When I go outside wild rabbits come up to me along with the chipmunks and quails. The doves are standoffish.
Anyways getting back to the topic...... The only thing I've noticed with these wild animals is that recently they seem more clingish. I've had wild rabbits darn near trip me taking groceries into my house. One quail nearly lit right on my head yesterday. It's not because they are hungry or thirsty either. I feed and water them every morning at 8:00 a.m. If Southern California gets the big one we will feel it here. I sometimes wonder if the wild animals are trying to protect us? Last week a 4 /12 foot bull snake slithered onto our property. Now, I swear on a stack of Bibles this is true... A fairly good size rabbit (part jack) started nipping at the snake and chased it up a tree! Then it stood on it's hind feet with it's front paws up against the tree trying to get the snake. It must of bit it's tail because the snake came down and sped under the fence to get away from that BAD rabbit!
So I guess what it comes down to is......If my animals start acting weirder then they already are,,,, I will let you know!

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Any strange animal behaviour with the 5th quake today?

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by antigovFZ777
Im living near sacramento, i havent noticed anything weird from my two dogs, or any of my friends pets... All of them have been acting like their usual selves..

I also live in Sacramento, and my animals are acting normal. However, we are not very close to the earthquake activity.

Anyone know how close the Long Valley Caldera is to Sacramento? =)

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I do not live in California, but I do live in Kentucky. We've had three small earthquakes in the past month and yesterday there were two back to back. I can say that Sunday our horses literally jumped the fence and took off. They have never done this before and are always quite content in the field that they call home. They were quite adamant about not going back either. Tugging and kicking. It was very unusual behavior for them. Perhaps, it is only a conincidence though.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

...Anyone know how close the Long Valley Caldera is to Sacramento? =)

Are you speaking of the Long Valley Caldera by Mammoth?? Eastern Sierra Nevada, along Hwy 395, north of Bishop.

Anyway, on this thread...

It's California. Acting weird is normal. Being normal is weird.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Actually, now that you mention it one of my dogs has been a bit more neurotic than normal...

Hmm, time to replenish the water supplies I reckon.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I'm located in Southern California and I'm noticing tons of skunks in the neigborhood. I have been seeing these things around my house for the past couple months. Last night I saw a few up the street just scurrying around. There's also mocking birds that chirp all night and you can hear it over a couple blocks.

Other than that I have two cats and they seem to be acting fine.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by PizzaCrust
I'm located in Southern California and I'm noticing tons of skunks in the neigborhood. I have been seeing these things around my house for the past couple months. Last night I saw a few up the street just scurrying around. There's also mocking birds that chirp all night and you can hear it over a couple blocks.

Other than that I have two cats and they seem to be acting fine.

Please clarify.

Are you seeing these skunks during the daylight hours or at night? Skunks are primarily nocturnal; to see one in the daytime is unusual, unless the animal is ill (ie., rabid). If you are seeing whole groups of skunks in the day time, I'd say THAT qualifies as unusual behavior!

However, if you are seeing them after dark, I'd say some one in the neighborhood is leaving thier trash can uncovered...Skunk Smorsgabord!

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
There was another 4.8 quake in Northern California just shortly ago:

neic.usgs.gov...

It is sort of odd that we're having earthquake clusters.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Yep, we felt that 4.8 in Northern NV this morning.
A very short and sharp one.
No weird animal activity at my house, until the quake.

Then, it was 3 dogs running into the backyard barking furiously,
and two cats, under the bed..!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join