It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Begs to be Hacked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Microsoft recently invited hackers to descend upon Redmond for a chance to exploit Windows code openly. The event was billed as "Blue Hat" in reference to the popular Black Hat conferences that provide a public forum for security professionals and the hacking community to interface.

news.yahoo.com...

Clever way of hiring new recruits anyone?

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Not only is it a relatively old way of hiring hands, but it's also a great way to see what needs to be fixed.

Five bucks says everything get's hacked. M$ is as secure as a puppy on Mars.

apc

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
'My other computer is Your Windows Box.'

Sooo what is so different here? Hasn't MS always begged to be hacked? I mean when you put out a chopped up hacked to hell peice of code full of stack overflows and a plethora of other vulnerabilities, is that not consciously asking for trouble?

Although Billy's team has the right idea with rebuilding the OS from the ground up. Half the exploits are due to backwards compatibility issues with older code, and when these problems get fixed through security updates or new versions, many of the existing programs stop working as they were dependant on these bugs.

I still think my opening comment will be the rule.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I have to say thought, I still prefer microsoft when it comes to operating systems.

After spending much time with red hat, you start to forgive microsoft for alot of things.

"windows" is just so much easier to use. and compatible.

ill have to admit though, linux is far better for servers.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
I have to say thought, I still prefer microsoft when it comes to operating systems.

After spending much time with red hat, you start to forgive microsoft for alot of things.

Windows might be more compatible but I would chose virtually any *nix system over windows, I use FreeBSD with KDE in college in the maths department and Debian and Redhat in the physics department, and they are better in every way to windows.
Windows makes me angry

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrpaddy
Windows might be more compatible but I would chose virtually any *nix system over windows, I use FreeBSD with KDE in college in the maths department and Debian and Redhat in the physics department, and they are better in every way to windows.
Windows makes me angry

wow, lol you must get hack by using windows like a million times... lol
windows is fine for me, you just have to take care of it... like get 5 different anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-adware softwares hehehe no one is getting my unstoppable wall muhahahahahaha *cough*

[edit on 18-6-2005 by ulshadow]

apc

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Well... duh... Red Hat
vomitous amongstous
Although Ive been dabbling with RedHat once again now that theyre really making a push towards the end user desktop market.
I would always be hesitant towards using any Linux distro serverside. Have to spend all your time keeping on top of software revisions because new exploits keep popping out of the code.

As said BSD is the way to go. But flush that KDE junk down the crapper. Ewwwww

Real Men Use Console!

Im waiting to see what happens with MS. In order for them to create an even decently secured OS they will literally have to rewrite just about everything. I expect the kernel to come out significantly smaller than it is currently.. ridding all that bloated legacy code that opens so many vulnerabilities left and right. Now if only they can get the rest of it to fit in less than one gig.. that would be nice. XP is f'in disgusting with how much space it hogs. I dont care if I do have 160gig drives, my OS should NOT be eating a GIG out of the box. Hell a skeleton debian install, with X11 and enough included packages to make the graphical environment comparable to Windows (basic graphic editing, text editing, etc), nets you maaaaaybe 400megs disk usage. And that's including a few sources... drop those and its maybe 250megs used. One gig is pathetic.

I need a shower.
Diiiiiiirty.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
If anything, Microsoft is probably learning from linux as we speak.

But...

Linux is nowhere near secure either.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

If anything, Microsoft is probably learning from linux as we speak.

Reminds me of that old saying:

MacOS X - Because it was easier to make Linux user-friendly than it was to fix windows.

Linux is nowhere near secure either.

Half a loaf of bread is better than a crumb.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Alot of companies hire out hackers to find vulnerabilites.

I forget what company...or where I heard it...but I heard 1 company is offereing 50,000$ to anyone who can hack into their system. It's been running for 5 years and no one has been able to do it.

Maybe it was something else...but as memory serves, the above statement is 80% correct.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Are you sure that's not The Italian Job you're thinking of? The Napster sees the security system, explains to the crew the story behind it?

I know companies do host conventions for hackers, but as I recall most of the time they end up falling at some point or another.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bane Of Your Existence
Alot of companies hire out hackers to find vulnerabilites.

I forget what company...or where I heard it...but I heard 1 company is offereing 50,000$ to anyone who can hack into their system. It's been running for 5 years and no one has been able to do it.

Maybe it was something else...but as memory serves, the above statement is 80% correct.

I belivied the US military hired hackers that can hack into their systems lol
if they do they get to join the
US Military Elite Hacker Unit

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
yeah the military is known to hire hackers.

whats that movie with leonardo decaprio and tom hanks with that guy that does all the cheque fraud.

he was also hired by the government.

just goes to show you crime does pay, the guys making millions now.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
/me tries and hacks it

The Core...where the kid blows into the gum wrapper and gives the guy unlimited minutes & everything on his cell phone

Great

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   

I belivied the US military hired hackers that can hack into their systems lol
if they do they get to join the
US Military Elite Hacker Unit

i wouldnt believe that they would always do this. If they have no need for extra hackers, than why would they bother spending more money to pay for somebody they dont need? If you want to hack for the military, become a CTI. Research it. Navy CTI (Cryptologic technition interpritive).

whats that movie with leonardo decaprio and tom hanks with that guy that does all the cheque fraud.

I believe that was catch me if you can.

As for the bubblegum wrapper trick, I highly doubt that would work in real life. Stuff like that died out decades ago. Phone Phreaking isnt nearly as powerful as it used to be. Seeing as a couple of people like PhiberOptik, etc. knew more about the phone systems than the engineers that built them did, they decided that securing them just might be a good idea.

The overall problem with windows is its simply too big and buggy if your primary concern is security. Overall, its good for the average user, but its not something you want to have to use for security. However, if microsoft did make a completely new kernel, than hopefully it would be better.

[edit on 19-6-2005 by aggroskater]

[edit on 19-6-2005 by aggroskater]

apc

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   

The Core...where the kid blows into the gum wrapper and gives the guy unlimited minutes & everything on his cell phone

Ahahahaha that was AWESOME!
Quick lemme bust out my redbox and call the Vatican! ...

Btw a note on MacOS X.. it is not Linux. If anything it is closer to BSD, although there is no actual BSDi code in the kernel. The Mac guys consulted with the FreeBSD and OpenBSD guys.. maybe NetBSD too I dont recall. It is nice though once you trash the macos GUI.

>

died out decades ago.

Not quite. You can still box the occasional payphone here and there, if you can manage to get an automated operator. 1010 numbers work sometimes still, but most phones filter the receiver now

Blue boxing (2600hz trunking) has however been dead for a little while... ever since the changeovers to ESS5+ systems in the late 80's and early 90's.
But there is still plenty of fun to be had on the phone networks today if you're willing to spend some time tinkering.

[edit on 19-6-2005 by apc]

top topics

join