It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we Allow a Tyrant Like Mugabe to Exist?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Robert Mugabe is one of the worst Dictators since Idi Amin, he has destroyed his Country and left his people in poverty while driving round in Rolls Royce cars and living like a millionaire. Giving aid to Africa must be stopped till tyrants like him are removed.

Mod Edit: to remove ALL-CAPS title. Please don't use all capitalized typing inthe forums.

[edit on 17-6-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Here is his latest policy , bulldoze people who didn't vote for him www.itv.com...

[edit on 17-6-2005 by Bulldog 52]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Ahh, but theres no oil in Zimbabwe, so we won't be going to "bring democracy to the people" there for a while, if ever.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
If someone happens to find oil in that country, you can be sure that suddenly the powers that be will get interested in giving him the boot.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Dang, stumason, did we just communicate telepathically?

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
If someone happens to find oil in that country, you can be sure that suddenly the powers that be will get interested in giving him the boot.

Or lots of military aid...

-koji K.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Dang, stumason, did we just communicate telepathically?

That, or it's just the old addage "Great minds think alike..."

I prefer the telepathy thing though, tends to only work with my closet friends though.....

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Should we do something about it, like join the rebel force or support the people there. I don't know a lot what is there, but have read few stories which shows this Mughabe as the worst slime and disgrace for the humanity. I hope someone will like kill or poison him there and make a difference, bad is when you take one dictator down only for the second to rise.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Don't you think the World has a moral objective to do something, rather than give your money to fund his opulent lifestyle?Its your money our Governments are sending to these people. You think the money goes to help the people, but it goes straight in the pockets of corrupt people. Now the g8 summit want to cancel all African debt and give them more of our tax money to the Dictators.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The world allows Mugabe to stay in power because Zimbabwe dosnt appear to have any natural resouces that our hungry western econmys require. In truth Arfica is rich in natural resouces but due to wide spread corrupation Africa remains a very poor region of the globe nobody gives a toss about.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MankoW
bad is when you take one dictator down only for the second to rise.

That's a VERY good point. Example - when Mobutu was finally toppled after his 30-year reign over Zaire (during which he accumulated a fortune worth something like 60 percent of the country's GDP), Laurent Kabila assumed power as a savior, but ultimately became as much a dictator as Mobutu was. He may have been killed after 4 years, but his son took power right after him...

And indeed, dictators have such a long run in Africa not because the population wants it... but because the world allows it. Besides, dictators tend not to be nationalists who would help their country get back onto its feet... and having countries in Africa that can't get back on their feet serves Western interests.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
This is an excellent opportunity for France, Germany, Canada, and the Arab nations to do "the right thing" and rescue the peoples of Africa.

But then, it is so much easier to sit back and criticize others for not taking action, no?

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
This is an excellent opportunity for France, Germany, Canada, and the Arab nations to do "the right thing" and rescue the peoples of Africa.

Do you care to elabrate future?
Are you refering to military or political action?

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Nobody will lend a hand to stop Mugabe killing his people,If Governments like USA who preach a Christian role in life ignore whats going on they are not Christian and are just another evil empire. You cant ignore whats going on their unless you are just concerned with yourself.People are dying because you don't care.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Mugabe victory: What should the world do?
Can Robert Mugabe's election victory be accepted as free and fair and should the international community recognise it? Talking Point discussed the implications.

- BBC Tuesday, 19 March, 2002, 11:19 GMT

Don't forget who, placed him in power, that will be the awnser.

Old news

Robert Gabriel Mugabe

[edit on 18-6-2005 by ADVISOR]

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

But then, it is so much easier to sit back and criticize others for not taking action, no?

Wow, I guess Canada is now indeed part of the Axis of Evil if we're put in such company!

When I say the West, I mean Europe, I mean the U.S., I mean Canada, I mean the UN, and I even throw in Japan. Nobody in that lot is taking action, because simply spreading freedom doesn't pay.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

Do you care to elabrate future?
Are you refering to military or political action?

Do you mean, "Do you care to elaborate on the future?
or
Do you care to elaborate further?

As far as military or political action, I'll leave that up to the group I challenged to do something about the situation.

by Otts
Wow, I guess Canada is now indeed part of the Axis of Evil if we're put in such company!

The inclusion was not intentional. The elimination of human suffering is welcome, no matter whom the liberators are.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
JSO - On the elimination of human suffering, I believe we are on the same page. Cheers!

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
How does the world allow something like this? Easy.

It really isn't anyones business in how another country is run. By aiding in one side of violence, no matter how justified it seems, only perpetuates the violence.

Not sure how to stop something like this though. Making sure the boarders are open for those that want/need refugee status can get it. Power needs someone to be sub, the sub's leave and you remove the power. How to do that though...

If we assume we can just make others see out way of doing things, then we really haven't learned much from history.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Passer By - I agree, it's not to us to interfere to topple regimes to make these people's lives better. But on the flipside, we're already interfering - by running trade policies and agreements that have the effect of helping repressive regimes stay in power, with the benefit that their being in power facilitates our plundering their country's resources.

Another thing - there are ways to discourage such regimes that don't entail interference in their affairs. Deciding who your country trades with is your business, and cutting off trade with a country which has a repressive regime doesn't mean interfering. It's exercising personal preference as to who you choose to associate with. Especially if you know that trading with that country will have zero positive impact on that country's poor...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join