It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: New Quantum Model Permits Time Travel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
In an interesting new theory, it appears Quantum Mechanics will actually permit time travel, but on the flip side it will prevent you from actually doing anything to change the present. If, for example, you know your father is alive today, you cannot go back and kill him as something will prevent you from doing this.

news.bbc.co.uk
If you went back in time and met your teenage parents, you could not split them up and prevent your birth - even if you wanted to, a new quantum model has stated.

Researchers speculate that time travel can occur within a kind of feedback loop where backwards movement is possible, but only in a way that is "complementary" to the present.

In other words, you can pop back in time and have a look around, but you cannot do anything that will alter the present you left behind.

The new model, which uses the laws of quantum mechanics, gets rid of the famous paradox surrounding time travel.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is rather interesting that this has been suggested, although it offers no explanations on how one might actually go about travelling through time.

It seems that the Quantum Universe will actually have some in-built mechanism that would prevent any actions you do from changing the present. Supposedly, this could mean that any actions you would do in the past would already have been taken into account in the future.

This could be quite fundamental if true, as it would mean that the past, present and future are fixed and cannot be changed. Interesting stuff indeed!

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
For the person who voted no on the Intro, could you please point out where I could fix it? I see no bad grammar, nor spelling.

EDIT:

And now this:

A contributor voting NO on your submission: (submission) (sci/tech) New Quantum Model Permits Time Travel has indicated they did so because they feel your topic really isn't appropriate for ATSNN. Keep in mind that ATSNN is the news portal service of a conspiracy and alternative topic community.

Why? Time travel is pretty much what this site is about, what with John Titor and other wierd science things people post about...

This is why I rarely post in ATSNN anymore....

[edit on 17/6/05 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I'm kind of suprised that this hasn't got more attention. I find it to be interesting!

It seems that the Quantum Universe will actually have some in-built mechanism that would prevent any actions you do from changing the present.

This is kind of the same concept in the movie "12 Monkeys" I believe, where Bruce Willis' character witness something as a boy and the future is terrible because of some virus, so he is then sent back in time to prevent it and everything plays out to the same future as it originally happened.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I'm kind of suprised that this hasn't got more attention. I find it to be interesting!

What is so interesting about it? It is after nothing but pure speculation. Now if they had some scientific facts to back up the claim then it would be a whole new bag of worms.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I find the possibility of time travel very interesting. It could serve a great purposes: provel or disprovel of bibical event, the ability to witness large historical events, or even how long extinct animals (ie. dinosaurs) actually behaved.

Of course all that is based on whether this model is a more true model then the previous one.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots

What is so interesting about it? It is after nothing but pure speculation.

It is interesting for those who have the ability to think beyond what's currently known. Without speculation first, there would never be answers later.

[edit on 19-6-2005 by outsider]

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
hey, so does this mean that things are scientifically theorized to be preordained?

daved

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
this would mean that time travel isn't possible because you interact with quantuam particles just by being human. And you'd continue to do that if you went back in time.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
For the person who voted no on the Intro, could you please point out where I could fix it? I see no bad grammar, nor spelling.

EDIT:

And now this:

A contributor voting NO on your submission: (submission) (sci/tech) New Quantum Model Permits Time Travel has indicated they did so because they feel your topic really isn't appropriate for ATSNN. Keep in mind that ATSNN is the news portal service of a conspiracy and alternative topic community.

Why? Time travel is pretty much what this site is about, what with John Titor and other wierd science things people post about...

This is why I rarely post in ATSNN anymore....

[edit on 17/6/05 by stumason]

I wouldn't worry about it, I swear that some numpties randomly click all over the screen without actually knowing what they are doing. Sadly it's things like that which could end up with a good story being washed aside if not enough people that actually know what they are talking about get to vote beforehand.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Its like a politician saying 'read my lips'.

Great post- thanks for posting it tomorrow so we could read it today!

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
...to get your ticket to the Time Travel Fund

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
not sure if this was posted. but here is the actual link to it

arxiv.org...

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I'm going to vote "No"! on this! Time travel is very dangerous! Why, just this morning my future self travelled back to tell me how dangerous it was, and that I should not post anything to ATSNN or there will be serious repercussions...

Ooops!

top topics

join