It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about super volcano's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
If/when one of these super volcano's erupt's, would there be any "push on the rotation" of the earth's spin? The only example I could think of is if you had a balloon and started to let the air out of it then let it go. The air excaping from it would cause it to "wander". Or perhap's say how a jet engine pushes a plane..
It's kind of hard to explain but hopefully understandable.
Just a quick question.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Does popping a zit on your face make your head spin around???

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
NASA scientists using data from the Indonesian earthquake calculated it affected Earth's rotation, decreased the length of day, slightly changed the planet's shape, and shifted the North Pole by centimeters. The earthquake that created the huge tsunami also changed the Earth's rotation.

Last time I checked these forum's had a majority of intellectual poster's. So Dave_54 keep the flaming to the "kiddy" forum's on other site's.

If a earthquake of that magnatude could effect the earth's rotation, what would something the size of say yellowstone's calderra do to the earth's rotation? Does anybody think it would effect it in any way? I know they say the last time one of these blew, it covered the earth in cloud's of dust and soot which possibly could of caused an ice age of sort's. Now could that be from the force of the explosion knocking the earth out of it's primary "normal" rotation to cause such iceage. Not from the covering of ash, but from the rotation change?

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hurt

...Last time I checked these forum's had a majority of intellectual poster's....

You're the only one that calls these refugees from the tin foil hat brigade 'intellectual'.

Prison camps, abductions, NWO, hollow earth, ad nauseaum. That's not what any sane person calls 'intellectual'. I realize a substantial fraction of the regulars here are pranksters who post their gibberish as part of the game and playing a hoax on the 'true believers'. It's the minority whackos I enjoy reading.

This site is The Onion version of conspiracy theories. Or if you wish the Weekly World News.

For entertainment purposes only.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hurt
If/when one of these super volcano's erupt's, would there be any "push on the rotation" of the earth's spin?

No.

The explosive force is directed upward, not along the axis of rotation (even whe volcanos are near the equator.) In other words, the mouth of the thing points upward; not along the horizon.

Nor is the ejection of lava anything that affects the speed of the earth in any measureable way. What does affect the Earth is the presence of the moon and the weight distribution of water and land masses.

The amount of preterbation by even a huge earthquake is actually fairly small... not enough to be measured by the average observer.

top topics

join