It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would you explain/classify waking up automatically?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Now that it is put in that context, even I wake up every morning just in time to squelch my alarm before it squaks at me. However, I wouldn't consider that a problem.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lanotom
I think it may be something to do with the subconscious and our internal clocks.

I always go to bed at different times and I mean much different like hours apart each night. Sometimes 11 PM or 2:30 am or even 4:15 am but if I need to get up at a certain time I can without an alarm.

For example if I go to bed at 1 AM and need to be up at 6AM I believe I subconsciously send a signal to my brain to be awake in 5 hours and of course my internal clock takes it from there. I never awake on the hour always 10 or 15 minutes before I need to be up.

Your “Body Clock” that you are referring to is actually called your Circadian Rhythm . What happens is that this is set to make you go into REM sleep at a certain time every night (in my case day). So for instance if you normally go into REM at 2345, for example, and tonight you go to bed at 2300 then tomorrow you go to bed at 2340, you are still going to attempt to go into REM at 2345 on both nights. By way of another example to show this rhythm, if you ever stay up for a very long time, you might notice that you start to feel warmer then normal usually early in the morning when you would typically be sleeping. This is the temperature cycle of your body, which is also set by your circadian rhythm, being effected.

People that are shift workers often have a difficult time with this rhythm and it’s called Shift Worker Disorder . The proper way to get your rhythm to set to a different time is to consistently get to bed one hour later or earlier a night until you are in bed at the time you want to be in bed from now on.

Therefore, the point I am making to you is that if you tell yourself that you want to be up at 0600 every day, and no matter if you go to bed at 2100 or 0300 the previous night/morning, you still wake up at 0600, its not because your telling yourself to do it, but rather that your rhythm is still set to go into REM at 0600. So at 0600 when you go into REM sleep, if you have apnea, you could have an event an wake up.

SimonColynAdrian
Nice post, and good links and statistics. They funny part that you are absolutely dead on about is the amount of people that suspect they have a problem with sleeping and yet are in denial of it, self diagnose it, or think its not a big issue. The truth is that anything your body feels is important enough to spend a ¼ of your life doing, must be fairly important to your overall heath.

Originally posted by CHICKST3R
Could I get sleep apnea in the future even though I don't have it now?

Yes it is possible to get this later on in life for sure. Snoring is a very good sign that you have this problem. Even if you only snore in certain positions, or at certain times of the night, it is a sign. Like I said some people may only have it in the worst case sleeping scenario which is in Supine (on your back) REM stage sleep, some may get apnea only in REM in any position, some may only get it if they do something that makes them be more relaxed then they might normally be at night such as having a few drinks. The severity is going to be different for each person, yet the symptoms of the disorder are well documented. Here are some things that can cause you to get sleep apnea:

1) Weight
2) Loss of muscle tone with increased age.
3) Physical damage, such as breaking your nose (Deviated Septum)
4) Surgical procedures or anything that may cause scar tissue inside your airway.

There might be more causes, but those are the most common.
Here is a link to a book of definitions on Sleep Medical Terms , you can also check the links here at the APT (Association of Polysomnographic Technologists) This is the main group that most sleep technicians belong to, so you can find answers to just about anything you want to know about sleep through their links and articles.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I do not have an explanation for this, and I have done it all my life.

And I do not mean that i can awake at the same hour everyday, I can wake at any hour I want to, as well as I could go to sleep for any period of time during the day and wake up after that time has passed (I do not sleep in the day anymore, I have lost that capacity).

My father could do exactly the same, awaking when he wanted to, until it was about 72, 73 years old, when health problems changed all his life style.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

Therefore, the point I am making to you is that if you tell yourself that you want to be up at 0600 every day, and no matter if you go to bed at 2100 or 0300 the previous night/morning, you still wake up at 0600, its not because your telling yourself to do it, but rather that your rhythm is still set to go into REM at 0600. So at 0600 when you go into REM sleep, if you have apnea, you could have an event an wake up.

For me it has nothing to do with if I want to wake up at 6 AM each day. You misunderstood what I said. Forget that.

If I was up all night and went to bed at 6 AM and I wanted to be awake by 10 AM so I didn't miss the day I do so without the aid of an alarm and I feel it is my brain telling my internal clock that I should only sleep for the 4 hours. Always works for me.

I don't have any disorders with sleeping or staying awake. If I wanted to go to sleep right now I could and If I wanted to stay awake for 30 hours before feeling the effects I could.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Lanotom and ArMaP,

You both explain exactly what I have been able to do for years. I have never had a complete explanation for it. I have been in good health and jog to assist staying in shape. Yet, I have never been able to explain the internal clock.

During work days, I can go to bed at 9 PM to midnight and still wake before the silent clock comes on with music. I have always called it "Beat the Clock". During the weekends when I know that I don't need to be up until 9 AM, I wake up without the clock around 8:45 AM.

For an example, this last weekend I had some very good friends come from out of town and spend Saturday night. We stayed up late having fun, drinking some wine and talking until the wee hours. At around 2 AM, they said good night and retired to the guest room.

I adjourned into the Study and glanced on ATS one last time 'real quick' before retiring. I got to bed about 4 AM. The funny thing is that I said to myself before retiring, I need to awake at 8 AM to prepare breakfast for the guest as they would return home later that day.

I was awake at 7:45 AM on a Sunday which is normally a good day to sleep in until at least 8:30 AM. To this present day, I cannot explain the body clock that "Beats the Clock (radio)" no matter if it is set to on or is off. I cannot ever remember over-sleeping since I was 20. Nothing I have read has ever fully explained the ability to go to bed at different hours and still wake when I set various times in my mind and not in the clock radio.

The A.C. Power has gone off during the night due to a violent storm. The storm may wake me up but I go back to sleep and still "Beat the Clock" with the AC still off in the house. I wish I could find a good explanation for it. I'm not a light sleeper.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
I was wondering how being able to wake up whenever you want, w/o an alarm clock, could be explained or classified. It seems silly to list it as a paranormal power but if you think about what we're seeing is the ability to go into deep sleep, being unconscious, and waking back up at a particular time. This is unconscious control, somehow. The reason I ask is that I've been doing this for years and recently have been looking for some kind of explanation.

I have always been able to do it too as far as I can remember. I chalk it up to responsibility. When I know beforehand I need to get up a certain time, I just do it. Only on occasion I have slept in. This usually is due to some extra exciting activities that occurred during the night that went overtime.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I do this as well. I have been able to do it for as long as I can remember - even as a very young child. Another thing I am able to do is guess the time within several minutes. Whether it is at night, or during the day I can tell you that it is approximately "X O'Clock".
Trust me, aside form having a premonition every once in awhile - almost always associated with a song, or a TV show coming on in the next couple of minutes - I have no psychic powers. Nor do I "program" myself. If I need to wake up at say 6:00 am, I just do. I don't know why, and frankly I take it for granted. I don't even own an alarm clock.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Mine's more of a timed thing... I usually wake up exactly (within one to two minutes) 6 hours after falling asleep...and it only takes me about 10 minutes to fall asleep. I don't have sleep apnea (and I'm very familiar with it, as my wife had it before losing her weight, even had a c-pap)... I sleep solid. (and I've had the sleep study, did it just in case, same time as the wife).

Another ability (or sometimes annoyance), is if I dream I overslept, then I instantly awaken. Often though, it's exactly one hour before I'm supposed to get up, so then I'm just ticked, hehe...
Luckily, this only occurs about a couple times a month...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join