It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For some reason I find this totaly hysterical...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
In a sick, twisted kind of way, this makes me feel great. I love animals dont get me wrong, but the irony here is so thick I just cant stop laughing:

"Two PETA Employees Arrested on Animal Cruelty Charges in N.C."

"Two individuals from Hampton Roads, employees of the Norfolk-based People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, were arrested Wednesday night in Ahoskie, N.C., on animal cruelty charges.

The two were arrested after authorities allege they dumped dead dogs and cats in a dumpster at a shopping center on Memorial Drive in Ahoskie. .."

Ahhhh...The smell of victory. I cant imagine being one of these two jerks trying to explain myself to my peer freaks.

[edit on 17-6-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   
This is gonna sound kinda sick, but how is it cruelty if the critters were already dead? Theyre not feeling any pain now are they?

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Ironic and sick

Do as i say and not as i do.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
There could probably be a charge relating to Hygiene. But, as has already been mentioned, the animals were dead anyway so how does throwing a dead animal in a bin constitute cruelty?

Looks like someone has thought "I know, let's arrest these guys for Animal Cruelty since the animals they put down were alive when they were picked up! That'd be a riot!". Quite the Oscar Wilde. If a dog is due to be put down, isn't it normally alive before they're "put to sleep"?

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
More bad press for PETA. Where exactly are dead animals supposed to go when they are dead? I know most end up on peoples plates, but for an organisation like PETA, they must deal with many dead animals, and need to find a place to lay them all to rest. Anyone have any idea how they go about this?
I know for sure, that dumping them in a dumpster is not the way it should be done.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
For one thing is seems by the article that they were telling local officials and veterinarians PETA would find homes for the animals, not euthanize them when they picked them up from them.

Barry Anderson, Bertie County's animal control officer, identified nearly all of the dumped dogs as ones that Cook and Hinkle picked up just a few hours earlier Wednesday, said Detective Sgt. Ed Pittman of the Bertie County Sheriff's Office.

Anderson also said that the PETA representatives "told him they were picking up the dogs to take them back to Norfolk where they would find them good homes," Pittman said.

Sounds to me like these 2 were getting their kicks euthanizing the animals and didn't want to have to explain why the animals were killed right away rather than trying to find good homes as they said they would.

Also if they (PETA) have the facilities to euthanize the animals they should have a way to dispose of the bodies. I'm sure that the PETA facility they were working for didn't send people out to various locations around the city to dispose of bodies in dumpsters behind stores. Also note that a spokesperson for PETA said if they find out that they were putting the bodies into bins that they would be appalled -- makes it sound like it isn't a common practice.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
This is like blaming Disney for someone who spies on people undressing in their changing rooms. They were a part of PETA but I am sure that they in no way represent what an ethical member of PETA would do.

Agreed, PETA can go over board at times, but I am all for the ethical treatment of animals, and a watchdog (WHAT A HILARIOUS PUN) group like PETA stands for good things.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
So are the animal cruelty charges for lying about taking them and finding them a good home? That's what it sounds like... and while I don't see that as really being cruel (if they were killed humanely), I can see why someone would be upset about it. This just makes me wonder about animal cruelty laws and what they cover.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
2nd time trying this -- hit wrong button first time.....

I'm sure that PETA does go to local places and take animals to try to find new homes for them and also to put some down in a humane way. But I think that the turn around time on this is more than the few hours mentioned in this article.

If these two were following standard operating procedure why wouldn't they use the normal method to dispose of the bodies. Which obviously isn't dumping the bodies in dumpsters behind stores as one of the PETA representatives said they would be appalled or horrified (can't remember which word exactly - it is in the article) if they find out this is what the two did. This is what makes me wonder if they weren't using the PETA credentials to pick up the animals and disposing of them themselves. And if they weren't using the PETA facility what were they using to put these animals down. I don't think most people have access to the injections and if you take it out of the PETA facility I am sure there must be some forms to fill out or something as they must keep track of what they have on hand.

I'm sure we will find that there is more to this story as time goes on.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
2nd time trying this -- hit wrong button first time.....

I'm sure that PETA does go to local places and take animals to try to find new homes for them and also to put some down in a humane way. But I think that the turn around time on this is more than the few hours mentioned in this article.

Just me, I do not think that is the case with PETA, they do not care about animals. If they had their way they would have all of them killed. Just look up some of Ingred's comments and you will see what I am getting at.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
This is gonna sound kinda sick, but how is it cruelty if the critters were already dead? Theyre not feeling any pain now are they?

I have an offer for that (no justification mind you, just rambling)

Makes me wonder - did those same animals have their fur? As PETA people ALWAYS are garnishing (protestant) fur about themselves.

lol

Misfit

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Just like any other kind of zealotry, it's not really about "the cause" (whatever it might be), but about making onesself feel morally superior to others, and attacking anyone who doesn't bow down.

You can see it with any fanatical group: fundamentalist Christians, hardcore atheists, Islamists, environmental extremists... they're all the same to me.

Institutionalized self-righteousness, that's all it is.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
but I would bet that:

1. the carcasses in question were not euthenized using PETA (or county) approved methods.

2. It is against the law to kill an animal unless you are using it for food & leather, or because the animal is sick, or because it cannot be cared for. Killing young kittens, which COULD be adopted out easily, would be the crime.

3. In most states, you cannot put animal carcasses, except your own pets, in a dumpster. If you are a meat-packing plant or a vet, or a pet cemetary, you have to have a health permit, and the bodies must be put in an area that is single-use.

4. I also bet that the two guys in question had a lot more animals than they could euthenize properly, or find homes for. The PETA plan of lethal injections is MUCH more expensive than shooting or gassing; I wonder if they simply ran out of funds, and were trying to 'cut corners.' People do that when they think it serves the greater cause.

Just as an editorial aside, city folks sure have a lot of hang-ups about the means of death. Shooting with a gun is instantaneous. Wringing the neck of a small animal is, in my opinion both faster and cleaner than messing with poisons. I know that peta doesn't approve of wringing a chicken's neck in order to eat it, but that is the way the other 95% of humans enjoy their sunday dinner.

Thinking of life as a calf or a baby deer (most of whom are eaten by coyotes), I think I'D rather be shot . . .

I guess most people who have never worked on a farm, or who have always lived on paved roads, imagine that animals in the wild die of old age. But in the words of Diogenes Laertus, "wherever something lives, something else eats it."

Humans, even the "ethical" ones, are subverting the natural order by trying to achieve a painless death. Nature is many things; but it is never painless.

top topics

join