It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astornaut=Splace Explorers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
heres something no one ever taught us in science, we all know Astronauts go into space..but by the time we can have people landing on planets (mars) ..is it going to be the astronauts, or are they gonna have other kind of people "Space Explorers"..going up there?

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Sorry, can you clarify? What exactly is it that you are asking?

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
what are Space Explorers? and what are Astronauts?

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   
They are people...I don't know what else to say.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetJamec
what are Space Explorers? and what are Astronauts?

hu? google and wikipedia are your friends if you need a definition

An astronaut, cosmonaut, spationaut or taikonaut (yuhangyuan) is a person who travels into space, or who makes a career of doing so.

a space explorer is someone who explores space, which would in my opinion also include the whole ground crew, scientist of all sorts etc.
but a astronaut, who works for a space agency to conduct scientific research is both astronaut and space explorer.

just my 2 cents...

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Well, once you land on planets and start building and living and the such you become a colonist, a construction worker, that sort of thing. They start hiring astronauts to get the colonists and scientists and laborers they hired places. You can of course serve two or more functions. Astronaut/Colonist/Scientist.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Astronaut = Space traveler

Explorer = Someone who explores

Sometimes a name it just a name, and it does not define or limit what they do

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
yeah, I know what you all just said, but what I was wondering was An Astronaut goes into space correct? so once they start sending people onto planets to study it are they going to send "Astronauts" or are they going to send a group called "Space Explorers"

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
If Bush is still Emperor for Life, they'll be called "Space Rangers"...

Note to the author: may want to correct your spelling in the title...as there's no way a search will find that...

They were called Astronauts on the moon, so I doubt anywhere else will need a change...

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Who knows? When they do it we'll find out, if they even change it from Astronaut at all.

We sent Astronauts to walk on the moon and didn't give them a new name just because they touched down on the surface of something other than Earth.

Besides, IMO, Space Explorers sounds hokey. I like the word Astronaut. It's good stuff. Cosmonaut isn't bad either.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
"They were called Astronauts on the moon, so I doubt anywhere else will need a change..."

DOH! Gazrok we were thinking the same thing at the same time, lol

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I think the poster means "explorer" in the sense of the explorers who went out and discovered the new world.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
lol, what exactly IS a Space explorer then? just someone who studies a planet from a telescope?

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetJamec
lol, what exactly IS a Space explorer then? just someone who studies a planet from a telescope?

That'd be a "space observer." Explorer implies some sort of exploration

n : someone who travels into little known regions (especially for some scientific purpose)
dictionary.com)

new topics

top topics

join