It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP 1st Ammendment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Has anyone else noticed that the freedom of speech seems to be slipping away? And I'm not just talking about retrobution for critizing Bush either. I mean "Political Correctness" and witchhunts associated with comments made in the workplace.

I'll share with you my own story of one of these witchhunts. One happened to me personally.

A few years ago, I worked for a security contracting company, and after just over a year I had worked my way up to being one of the companies top employees. I recieved high praises from both the company owner and clients. I was even being seriously considered for upper level management.

One day, I made a joke that to me was rather insignificant. I don't remember the exact words, but it contained the word "gun", but not in a threatening way.

One hour later, I was in my boss' office trying to explain why I "threatened workplace violence". I tried to defend myself but the powers that be had no sympathy. In their eyes I was guilty of a great sin.

By the next day I was demoted to an entry level position, lost medical benefits and took a pay cut, and was told to "be thankful I still had a job". My perfect record was permanently damaged. I left the company a month later.

This happens more and more these days. The broad definition of sexual harrassment has opened the door to many lawsuits and disciplinary action taken against people just because someone is offended.

I'll agree that making lewd or suggestive comments about someone especially after being asked not to, qualifies as sexual harrassment. But if you overheard two guys trading dirty jokes and were offended....too bad.

The right to freedom of speech should be more important than silencing the majority just so a handful won't be offended.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 02:59 PM
link   
that I no longer work in such an environment... Most of the people I work with have been here for years and years, so we're kind of away from all of that crap. It's a small company, we all know each others' wives and kids, etc.

But, I can sympathize, as I used to work in such environments... Trust me, you'll be happier when not in such an environment, even if it means a pay cut... Sounds like you were perfectly justified in leaving...

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Well...if you notice no one can say bullet, gun, knife, bomb and pistol anymore without getting it bleeped or thrown out of the work place for condoning "violence" just for saying a word like that...

But I have noticed that every one needs to be Political Correct...I mean when referring to an actress you must say actor....because actress is sexist...and when referring to a Jungle you must say Rain forest...for some unknown reson....But this really must stop...it's just geting out of hand...

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I remember reading at least a couple of news clips in the past months about kids in like 1st to 5th grade range being suspended from school for playing "shoot em up" "cowboy & indian" style games at recess. Another one my girlfriend was reading me about a kid that had an Australian friend in class and while in line said "G'day Mate", totally friendly, but was punished to have to write "I will not say racist remarks to others" or something like that like 100 times or something.

For one thing if you want to punish a kid, make him stay at school longer. A supspention is like an extra weekend! But this stuff is rediculous!!

When I was in school we atleast had to get into a fight or spit in someone's hair or something to even get a sturn talking to. I guess they'll bootin' ya out for good if ya miss some homework soon!!

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:25 PM
link   
pc is the beginning of a move to communism in this country!

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 08:38 PM
link   
In the army, we had an officer brought on the carpet because he let us sing a cadence about getting drunk. Even in the military were not exempt. Dirty jokes and swear words could end up ruining your career. I saw a guy who got busted simply because he suggested that a certain supply NCO looked like a times square hooker with her bright and gaudy non regulation against the rules orange nail polish. Seen another guy get busted because he told his buddy a gay joke.
That which is disguised as enlightened and civil supression.
The other side of oppresion, my friends.

new topics

top topics

join