It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gitmo called death camp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The Senate's No. 2 Democrat has compared the U.S. military's treatment of a suspected al Qaeda terrorist at the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay with the regimes of Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin and Pol Pot, three of history's most heinous dictators, whose regimes killed millions.
link:
www.washingtontimes.com...
www.kwqc.com...
This guy is nuts how can you compare,even if what they say is real. its not even close to any of these Ragimes Adolf hitler, come on Stalin yeah right. and pol pot, this guy needs to do a little studing his history

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
AMEN BROTHER, gitmo is a hilton compared the holocaust. Imagine if every jew in au#z got a free torah, a rabbi chaplin, a nice bunk, a hot shower, and got to play music plus got rewarded food for good behavior and prayer time. Jews are way better the terrorist scum at gitmo, they should be executed.(the terrorists, not the jews)

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Adolf Hitler=9 million killed
Stalin=Not sure but I think he killed 20 million of his own

There is no way Gitmo can be that bad cause its not designed to have showers that pour gas out,or dentist that take your gold fillings out,or make you put fellow peoples dead bodies in mass graves. Like bushfriend said the people there have food,good beds,get to exercise,and have religious things.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
It really gets me going when people try and use the holocaust to their advantage like that. They say it just to get a reaction out of people because they know if anything is close to the Holocaust, that's the kiss of death.

It's despicable to see people abuse one of the greatest tragedies in the history of mankind for their own, selfish purposes.

At any rate, good discussion on this going on over at PTS.

[edit on 6/16/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Though my displeasure with Republicans grows daily..... it is the Democrats that seem totally amoral insofar as the lies they will put forth out of pure idiotic hatred for Bush.
This man should be voted out of office by the constituency which has surely heard his remarks

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
OK, lets look at the facts now, shall we?

I can't believe I'm quoting the Rev. Moon's loony rag, but since it was cited, here we go:

After reading the e-mail, Mr. Durbin said, "If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime -- Pol Pot or others -- that had no concern for human beings. Sadly, that is not the case. This was the action of Americans in the treatment of their prisoners."

Now, what exactly was wrong with this statement? He didn't say "America is as bad as the Nazis/Khmer Rouge/Soviets." He said what he said, which is that the atrocities described in the FBI agents email sounded more like somehting you'd naturally relate to history's less admirable regimes, not America.

Instead of professing outrage at this guy, maybe we should ask ourselves why we would feel outraged to begin with, having America compared to these regimes. I would say pride would factor into the answer. I'm proud of my country and what it stands for, because it stands for such better things than the Nazis and Soviets and Khmer Rouge did.

It hurts that pride, to hear the description of the letter he read, because what he read should not have come from an American institution.

And yet it did.

-koji K.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I don't care how he said it he's a politician, you know damn well what he was getting at he was trying to say close Gitmo because its a modern-day death camp trying to compare the US president or our military to those horrific regimes.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
OK, lets look at the facts now, shall we?

I can't believe I'm quoting the Rev. Moon's loony rag, but since it was cited, here we go:

After reading the e-mail, Mr. Durbin said, "If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime -- Pol Pot or others -- that had no concern for human beings. Sadly, that is not the case. This was the action of Americans in the treatment of their prisoners."

Now, what exactly was wrong with this statement? He didn't say "America is as bad as the Nazis/Khmer Rouge/Soviets." He said what he said, which is that the atrocities described in the FBI agents email sounded more like somehting you'd naturally relate to history's less admirable regimes, not America.

there is now way you can compare this in any wayto Nazis and other regimes like them. he said they keept prisoners up for 24 hour hand cuffed on the floor.so what they do not gas the prisoners, force them to work in a laobor camp starve them, Dirbin and other liberals will be the first ones to complain if we let those prisoners out and the cuased another 9/11 style attack on the US or one of its Allies, they'll say why did you guys let them go. becuase your bitching about what we are doing to the terroist at gitmo, please they are having a better life now than they probably have ever had. I think we need to be a little ruffer on them teach them that we are not going to stand for their crap.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   
At least it wasn't called a death camp anywhere but in the MoonieTimes headline.

Why is this so hard to get?

If the inhabitants of greater Dachau could ignore the smoke billowing from the chimneys of the invisible, unmentionable camp up on the hill, why shouldn't we expect most Americans to ignore what's going on in Guantanamo, or Bagram or Abu Ghraib -- or any of the other islands in the archipelago?

Conservatives, of course, froth at the use of such terms, which is why the propaganda machine immediately zeroed in on Durbin's reference to an extreme nationalist party that flourished in a certain central European country in the 1930s and early 1940s. Just as they popped a vein over Amnesty International's use of a Russian word for forced labor camp.

Strictly on the facts of the case, they are correct: The American archipelago is just a series of flyspecks compared to its Soviet predecessor. At its peak, the Soviet gulags held an estimated 2.5 million prisoners. The number of deaths -- by torture, execution, disease or deliberate starvation -- has to be counted in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions. The KGB, meanwhile, set a record for the assembly-line murder of political prisoners that I don't think has been matched since, not even by that wannabe Saddam.

As for the central European extremist leader, well, we all know what he did.

I guess that's enough to satisify most conservatives. (Maybe they should print up some bumper stickers: "America: Still better than Stalin.") But some of us have slightly higher expectations of a modern parliamentary democracy.

This POW Durbin quoted gets it.

The quote former Vietnam POW Pete Peterson that Durban included in his floor speech said just about everything that needs to be said about the latter:

"From my 6 1/2 years of captivity in Vietnam, I know what life in a foreign prison is like. To a large degree, I credit the Geneva Conventions for my survival . . . This is one reason the United States has led the world in upholding treaties governing the status and care of enemy prisoners: because these standards also protect us . . . We need absolute clarity that America will continue to set the gold standard in the treatment of prisoners in wartime."

Why can't the 101st Fighting Keyboarders get it?

You know there was a point in time when the Nazis Never Killed Anybody. Then there was a point in time when they Just Tortured a Little Bit. Then there was Everything After.

And we're standing on that threshhold again. We're always on that threshhold of repeating the past. And thank GOD for squeaky wheels to remind us not to repeat the past even if it means they get beat up by the angry mobs because technically we're not Nazi's yet.

[edit on 17-6-2005 by RANT]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Durbin is starting to fall, alot of US congressmen and woman calling for him to say he is sorry and retract his remarkes. stating that his remarks are now being used as propaganda on Aljazeers

[edit on 17-6-2005 by finnman68]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by finnman68
Durbin is starting to fall, alot of US congressmen and woman calling for him to say he is sorry and retract his remarkes. stating that his remarks are now being used as propaganda on Aljazeers

did he say sorry or retract his statement?

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
No. and I don't think he will either. he believes to much of his own BS. its all about politics to him.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
You know, the title of this thread is blatantly misleading. Where did the Senator call Gitmo a "death camp"? Where did he even say "death camp"?

-koji K.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I'm sorry. I think it is a little misleading to. thats the tittle the washington Times used on the link I got the story from. I really should have changed the tittle. It could have said something like Dem. no.2 leader in the senate calls gitmo a prison camp like what the nazis used or someting simuliar to that

top topics

join