It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water bombers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
There was an interesting new water bomber flown at the Paris Air Show this year. A retired DC-10-30 was refitted with a water tank, and bomb doors, and did a demonstration drop. A friend of mine quipped that it's an interesting idea. The water in the tank could put out the fire after it crashed. heh. I think personally that the thing is a pig to fly with the doors open.

Here's the link:

www.airliners.net...

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It may seem like a pig to you, but to people in mountainous dry country with fires raging around it is an ANGEL. For far too long obsolete, 50 year old aircraft have been used in the water bomber role. It is time the aging fleet is updated with more modern, less fatigued aircraft. In the past several years aging, surplus C-130 aircraft have shed their wings and crashed while fulfilling the water bomber mission. I am anxious to see further implementaion of more modern aircraft as water bombers. Thanks for linking to the beautiful pic.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Oh absolutely, I agree that it's about time that they update the fleet. I was just thinking from the pilots perspective that it's not going to be easy to fly while dropping. It's going to make a HUGE difference in fighting fires. They can probably use this one plane to carry the load of 2.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
What I feel would be nice is to see an aircraft designed specifically to be utilized for the role of fire fighting. The retro-fitting of various aircraft has been the norm for decades. Everyone recognizes the importance of this job, however because it is not profitable to the aircraft manufacturing industry, no aircraft that I know of has ever been designed for this exact purpose. It would be nice to see an aircraft designed specifically for a humanitarian purpose such as fire fighting, rather than only commercial and military applications.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Canada already has built one. I forget the designation but it's capable of flying along the top of a lake and refilling the tanks, without having to land for that purpose. There are a few out there, but not many.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
It's the CL-215, CL-215T, and CL-415. They can make successive drops for up to four hours before having to refuel, by skimming water off a lake or resovoir. Here's a link for stats/performance and pics.

home.ca.inter.net...

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I don't know if this is real or not but wasn't the U.S. going to retro fit and convert some 747 to put out fires?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Every so often someone comes up with an idea like that, and it bounces around some, but nothing ever comes of it due to money usually.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
It's the CL-215, CL-215T, and CL-415. They can make successive drops for up to four hours before having to refuel, by skimming water off a lake or resovoir. Here's a link for stats/performance and pics.

home.ca.inter.net...

Awesome! Thanks!

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
There is a website that some people are trying to get some retired A-10's to make them into fire tankers. Since the A-10 can carry a heavy load and fly low and slow it is considered a good first strike tanker.

www.firehogs.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

It's the CL-215. there's also a version with upgraded engines, the Cl-215/415T ("T" for turboprop)

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

I believe the Evergreen Supertanker 747 is currently in testing.

Here is their promotional video, pretty impressive:

[edit on 9/8/08 by xmotex]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Actually testing on it is done with, that video is from over 4 years ago. They never did get US forest service approval on it, so it was never used, and has since gone back to the cargo side of ops at Evergreen.

The DC-10, is contracted by Calfire for use in California.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
That's interesting, thanks for the information.
I am guessing from your nick that you're in a position to know something about it

Why did the Forest Service never give approval to the Evergreen 747?

Did it not work as well as promised or were there other factors involved?

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Well things like the fact that most water bombing is done low and slow would call for the use of leading edge flaps and 10 degrees flaps which over a short period of time in firefighting standards would have a possible high maintenance cost along with it. Also the 747 isn't really native to the low speeds of the dropping which could of caused issue with water bombing accuracy.

I'll try and dig up some more info though.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Well it sounds like it was delayed in 06. Still looking for more info but a delay doesn't bode well.

Just In Time For Fire Season -- Certification Of Evergreen 747 Tanker Delayed
Fri, 12 May '06
Company Says Cert Will Come In July At Earliest
Evergreen International Aviation, which has put considerable cost and development time into a 747-200 water bomber the company says represents a "quantum leap" for fighting wildfires, reports the mammoth tanker is ready to fly... but won't be certified in time for this year's expected fierce wildfire season.

full article here:
www.aero-news.net...

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Here's Evergreen's site

I actually got this link from a youtube video someone posted on here claiming it was the New World Order dumping chemtrails

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 15-9-2008 by Chadwickus]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Well the 747-200 tanker is no more.

Worse, the US Forest Service's jitters and red tape have effectively killed an even bigger firefighting aircraft, a Boeing 747 Supertanker that was converted into a water-bomber capable of dropping 24,000 gallons of retardant -- twice as much as even Tanker 910.

Sound like after all the issues with the government the 747 was converted back to a freighter in mid 07.

Sad end to the plane but the DC-10 in 07 was starting to break through the red tape but I haven't heard any news on its statues in the 08 year.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
When i think off the word Water bombers, then i automaticaly think off the Beriev BE-200!

pic:
www.unchain.gr...

An amzing peice off engineering. It realy helped to beat the living crap out off Greece's firestorms sometime back.

Suddenly, whilest typing the stuff above, i got a great idea!!

Since the world is getting more urban and with it higher and more skyscrapers. you should convert an Eurocopter MiL MI-24 hind to make it a hovering firetruck!!
Entire passenger/cargo bay being used as a water tank with powder mixtures or more water in pods under the wings!!
And use a highpowerd hose and attach that to the place off where the minigun would be!!

Please share your ideas people!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Would your longevity on station be awfully short with just what the chopper can hold? From my understanding thats why the trucks are hooked into the hydrants to have that constant supply to battle the blase.

Its still an interesting idea in a city setting but I would worry about turbulence and high winds as where you are looking at using these helos is in congested downtown cores

[edit on 15-9-2008 by Canada_EH]

<<   2 >>

join