It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AK on...and....on....and....on

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
www.military.com...

Sometimes the easiest way to replace an outdated model is to have a contest -- that's what happened in 1994, when the Russian Army held trials to decide on a new rifle to replace its existing Kalishnikov AK-74 rifle. As with many things in Russia, the trials were confidential, but the story goes they were held in the city of Abakan, which may sound like the title of a Harry Potter novel, but there is nothing kid-like about the innovative assault rifle that won the contest.

Meet the Avtomat Nikonova (or AN, Russian for "Nikonov assault rifle") 94 assault rifle, built by Nikonov (also dubbed the "Abakan," thanks to its victory in the trials), the revolutionary replacement for the AK-74. How revolutionary? How about a "burst mode" just as accurate and deadly as a single-shot mode, a unique cartridge-loading system, and twice the magazine capacity of the older rifle?

countries and companies involving arms are improving these babies. it looks like ak-47 successors gonna be existing and being use for decades to come before we even see ani future rifles that does not resembles the ak-47.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Love the AN-94, the name Abakan is pretty solid and is confirmed, I personally never heard it's clip could hold 60 rounds, that might be incorrect.

"just as accurate and deadly as a single-shot mode"

It's deadlier in 2 burst mode actually, it fires two bullets, not one, that's a big difference in killing power, so it's deadlier, but true, almost just as accurate, it can shoot 2 bullets through 1 hole, great for piercing body armor.

it's rounds per minute in 2 round burst is 1800RPM which is very high, 3 times as that of the automatic firing mode which is 600rpm, about the same as the AK-47.

Maxim Popenker, the author of Modern Firearms site complained about it's ergonomics and some other issues, direct quote from his site:

From the personal, but trustworthy reports I can add the following. First, the ergonomics of the AN-94 is not the best one. The shape of the pistol grip, and the inclined from the vertical plane magazine are way from being comfortable. The rear diopter sight has small apertures, not protected from dirt, and is hard to clean in the battle conditions. It also has sharp edges and can snag in the clothes or make a scratches on the skin when handled roughly. The grenade launcher mount under the barrel is a little weird, since it uses a large "bridge" between the stock and the launcher. The folding butt interferes with the trigger when folded, and the fire selector, which is separated from the safety, is hard to operate, especially when wet. On the other hand, as said above, in the 2-rounds burst it is very accurate and offers a great advantage in the terminal effectiveness over the standard single shot mode.

Source

It's a great gun, but probably better in the hands of Spec-Ops, not grunts.

Let them keep their AK-74's for right now until they have a better gun that spits out modified 7.62x39 rounds that are a little more accurate

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
When you have a good thing it is hard to improve upon it. It will be interesting to see if this new rifle will have the success of the rifle that it was built upon.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Actually, it was not based on the AK-47 design at all, it somewhat resembles the configuration, but the gas chamber is below the barrel instead of above it, the rifle worlds alot different from the inside as well, so technically not an AK clone or improved AK.

It will probably not be popular among the grunts as Max stated clearly.

the better assault rifle for the Russian grunts would be the AK-100 series even though they are mainly for export.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I prefer this:

www.scaar.at...

The AK103

The upgraded AK47.

Fires the AK47 7.62x39 rds, but is more accurate, has more range, 1000m range of effective sighted fire, folding-able stock, plus it can b equiped with everything the AK47 and AK74 can, just plain out BEASTY!!!

The AN-94 is VERY GOOD though, so don't get me wrong. I would prefer the AK103 from the newer Russian Assualt Rifles.

LONG LIVE THE AK47 AND KALASHNIKOV!!!

[edit on 16-6-2005 by SEAL Trident]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Hmm, didn't know this:

Quote:

Unlike the more common designs, like the Russian Kalashnikov or American M16 rifles and others, the AN-94 internals are not "user friendly", and it took weeks, if not months, to get used to this rifle, its assembly / disassembly and maintenance procedures. It is also more expensive to made and maintain, than the AK-74. From all this it is obvious why this very interesting rifle hardly will see any widespread service, at least with the Russian Army (which at this moment is conscripted by the large, and on a low budget).

Unquote.

That's from Ground Zero's Source.

I knew about it being hard 2 make finacally, BUT CRAP!!! If it's harder 2 put 2gether,

The gun's good, if u can take all that time 2 learn 2 put it 2gether.

It's obviously better 2 have it simple, not harder in 2days world. The last thing we need is 2 have 2 clean it, but it's 2 complicated. Man, 4 once, I prefer the M16 4 this.

Now, I'm prefering the AK103 a lot more sense it's easier. I don't really give much 4 the 2-burst thing when u have a 7.62x39 rd.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I can see the Ak-103 maybe being issued to Grunts, with the An-94 being issued to elite units and snipers, since the former is easier to maintain and more hardy, while the latter is more accurate and deadly in 2 shot mode, while being hard to assemble (unlike the Ak-47), and not comfortable at all.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
For the last time - it's a MAGAZINE not a CLIP

new topics

top topics

join