It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Third Earthquake in California Since Sunday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Recent reports indicate that California has been hit by the third earthquake in five days. The 5.3 temblor hit the L.A. area at 1:53pm local time (PDT). This quake was preceeded by a 5.2 in the Anza area of Riverside County on Sunday and a 7.0 quake 90 miles off the coast on Tuesday.

apnews.myway.com
A moderate earthquake shook most of Southern California Thursday, but there were no immediate reports of damage or injuries. The 1:53 p.m. quake had a preliminary magnitude of 5.3 and was centered three miles northeast of Yucaipa in San Bernardino County east of Los Angeles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Earthquake scientists did not immediately know which fault the temblor occurred on.

"The shaking from the Anza earthquake sort of juggled the fault in this other area that probably caused this earthquake to happen," Hough said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This appears to be a growing cluster of quakes developing in the California area. When one considers all of the recent activity in the Western Hemisphere from the eruption of the Volcano of Fire in Mexico to the clusters in California, one must wonder whether this activity may propagate northward until it "loosens" Mt. St. Helens or Mt. Ranier.

Beyond the recent activity in the Western Hemisphere, many volcanoes have rumbled to life again in the south Pacific and significant aftershocks (if that is what they are) have been felt in the area surrounding the Boxing Day earthquake epicenter. When one looks at all of this activity in human time, it seems clustered, but not tightly so. However, when one considers this activity in geologic time it it more like two 'shakes.'

Related News Links:

www.usgs.gov - California Earthquake Map

www.cnn.com - Volcano of Fire

www.cnn.com - Paupa New Guinea Volcano

www.alertnet.org - Chile Earthquake

nuclearweapon archive.com - definition of a 'shake'.

[edit on 16-6-2005 by chaosrain]

[edit on 16-6-2005 by chaosrain]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Yep, there is something going on. I don't know exactly what it is, but there have been too many earthquakes, even in areas where they don't usually experience earthquakes before. This is something that has to be watched just in case.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
No, it is not really big thing, it is just few minor trembles, which is normal for the tectonic plates to fit together better.
If that isn't truth, we'd have one big in past week or two.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
They haven't been any big earthquakes yet, except the 7 magnitute off the Californian coast, but there has been an increase in the number of earthquakes in the US in the 4-5 in the ritchter scale. Normally earthquakes of that magnitute are precursors to bigger earthquakes or precursors for an increase in volcanic activity. That's why I am saying we should keep an eye on this.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Yep...I live about 20 twenty minutes away from Yucaipa and I felt it.......but only for about 5 seconds.......from where I was it felt kind of weak.......all this activity is making me wonder about the purported "Big One".........

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Wow, it's already time to update this post. A 4.9 has hit California as of this morning indicating an obvious cluster. Keep an eye out.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Wow...
yeah... I am glad I don't live in california...
I do have my new beach front property in Arizona though...
(did you know you can buy future beach front property for dollars per acre?)

I recently heard about a network of immense caverns under southern california, that the navy has surveyed... they go for hundreds of miles all the way to the fault...
according to this report... huge caverns are under the primary fault.
if and when these caverns collapse, then the damage will go up dramatically...

CAVERNS UNDER CALIFORNIA
of course everyone is familiar with the tourist caves, but these are deeper, and larger...but also not officially disclosed, so still theory...

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I'm worried about june 22nd/23rd. It seems full moons have an effect on Earth quakes.

12-26-04 Full Moon - 9.0 Quake and tsunami
03/25/05 - 8.7 qauke

next full moon is 06/22/05

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MauiStacey
I'm worried about june 22nd/23rd. It seems full moons have an effect on Earth quakes.

12-26-04 Full Moon - 9.0 Quake and tsunami
03/25/05 - 8.7 qauke

next full moon is 06/22/05

Interesting thought. I too have noticed the correlation of tidal pull with seismic activity. Of course, the full moon doesn't have to be a requisite condition for a major earthquake. All that has to happen is for tidal pull to put enough stress on a fault to cause it to fail. I suspect that these stresses are the result of the movement of the Earth's water mass in relation to the tidal strain and the subsequent pressure that columns of water place on the Earth's crust in various spots.

We'll know in a few thousand years once more data is in to either generate a true correlation or render it a merely a random coincidence.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
ITS BREAKING OFF! ITS THE END OF THE WORLD! or maybe its just some earthquakes...but it would be odd, yet unsuprising, if it broke off to go hang out with hawaii.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schmidt1989
ITS BREAKING OFF! ITS THE END OF THE WORLD! or maybe its just some earthquakes...but it would be odd, yet unsuprising, if it broke off to go hang out with hawaii.

I know you are being sarcastic, but noone is saying it is the end of the world, and in order for a break up of the plates there would have to be even more of an increase in seismic activity before that happens.

Today there have been three more moderate earthqquakes off the coast of California, the strongest was a 6.4 in the ritchter scale.

17-JUN-2005 06:41:16 40.86 -126.30 4.5 10.0 OFF COAST OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
17-JUN-2005 06:40:16 40.96 -126.24 4.6 10.0 OFF COAST OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
17-JUN-2005 06:21:42 40.72 -126.54 6.4 10.0 OFF COAST OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

Excerpted from.
www.iris.edu...

It is now 7 moderate earthquakes that have shaken the area of California in this week. I do hope this is not a precursor to a larger earthquake. one that although it is not going to bring the end of the world....it might cause harm or death. Let's hope nothing happens.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
and so far, not a single one of them was noticeable here in the San Jose area-and I'm realtively new around here.

There have always been quakes around here, it's been a legend and a joke for as long as I can remember. Why the big to-do now?

SMR

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Magnitude 7.2 OFF THE COAST OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA June 15, 2005
Magnitude 4.9 GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA June 16, 2005
Magnitude 6.7 OFF THE COAST OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA June 17, 2005

California is gonna be more expensive to live if this continues and it becomes an island

If you keep track of all these via RSS, you can see that there is a lot of quake activity as of late.
RSS for M > 2.5 and up earthquakes daily
I use it via LiveBookmarks in FireFox

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
and so far, not a single one of them was noticeable here in the San Jose area-and I'm realtively new around here.

There have always been quakes around here, it's been a legend and a joke for as long as I can remember. Why the big to-do now?

There have always been small quakes in California, and sometimes moderate ones, but what has happened this week is not normal that i know of. I have only visited California, so i am not entirely sure of it, but perhaps someone who has lived there for a long time can clarify and corroborate that what has been happening over there this week is not normal, or maybe they can corroborate that what has been happening this week happens frequently.

Any input would be appreciated.

[edit on 17-6-2005 by Muaddib]

SMR

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Living in San Diego my entire life, I can safely say that we usually only get a big jolt and then a few small aftershocks.
In my area, I cant say for others in California, this would be odd to have 4 good sized quakes located in the same area.
About a month or so ago, we had one that the epicenter was just a couple miles from us and that was the first time I have been that close to an earthquake.It didnt roll like you normally feel them, it SOUNDED like a bomb! We thought maybe a jetliner or something like that had either crashed or exploded.It almost didnt have a 'feel' to hit.Rather it had a loud sound.

So to say this is something normal, in my area no.A good sized quake and a few small little tremblers and thats it.Even after that one that was a couple miles away only had 1 aftershock that you could barely feel.People even had to ask if that was just an aftershock or not.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   

This appears to be a growing cluster of quakes developing in the California area. When one considers all of the recent activity in the Western Hemisphere from the eruption of the Volcano of Fire in Mexico to the clusters in California, one must wonder whether this activity may propagate northward until it "loosens" Mt. St. Helens or Mt. Ranier.

Actually, i highly doubt these tremors have little to do with the Volcanos such as Mt. St. Helens. The tremors are too deep.

the 7.2 stats
A depth of 10 KMs.

Now when Mt. St Helens erupted back in the 80's there were no sensors to record the quakes. The were installed shortly after. But, for an example of a quake that would be related to it here's an example.

a small recorded tremor related to mt. st helens. from June 3rd

It's only a 2.1 but notice the depth. 0.6 kms. This is just the normal activity at the moment at Mt. St. Helens as well, doesn't mean it's gonna blow. In fact, the lava dome that is building in the crater has destroyed it's self four or five times since the last major eruption.

These quakes are nothing more than normal tension/pressure releasing as far as I'm concerned.

join