It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Earthquake shakes California

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The people I have spoken too say it felt much stronger than the prior one.

Wow...I can't help but wonder if this isn't working up to the 'big one'.

I just heard that is was a 5.3. The other one was a 5.6 so it was less intense than the first.

[edit on 16-6-2005 by zenlover28]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Yeah, I felt it in LA and I have a friend down in OC who felt it. Must have been pretty big.

quake.wr.usgs.gov...

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Here's the USGS data:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Thanks for the data. Something weird is going on. I just feel it. And i'm not the type to get too overdramatic about these things.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I'm never fast enough...

www.nytimes.com...
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A moderate-strength earthquake struck Southern California on Thursday, shaking a wide area from Los Angeles to San Diego and counties to the east. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Howard Dean has already blamed the earthquakes on the GOP.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I could swear I just heard yet ANOTHER report.

This one off Eureka California..8pm local, I think.
about 6.5.

It was the tail end of a radio report...No Tsunami Warning..

AH!

Here we go..

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 17-6-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
It was a 6.6
earthquake.usgs.gov...

apnews.myway.com...

Fourth Significant Quake Shakes Calif.

EUREKA, Calif. (AP) - Just hours after a moderate earthquake shook most of Southern California, a strong quake struck off the state's northern coast to become the fourth significant shaker to jolt California this week.

Neither quake Thursday caused serious damage. One person was injured.

A 6.6-magnitude temblor hit about 125 miles off the coast of Eureka around 11:30 p.m., rattling the ocean floor. In the afternoon, a 4.9-magnitude quake struck east of Los Angeles, startling people and knocking items off shelves and desks.

"All of a sudden it just started rocking," said John Napolitano, 45, a campus police officer at Crafton Hills College. "I just sat there and rode it out."

Four significant quakes have hit California this week: A magnitude-5.2 quake shook Riverside County on Sunday, and a magnitude-7.2 quake trembled Tuesday under the ocean 90 miles off Northern California.

Stephanie Hanna, spokeswoman for the U.S. Geological Survey, said Thursday night's quake was likely an aftershock from Tuesday's shaker.

The early afternoon quake was centered near Yucaipa in San Bernardino County, east of Los Angeles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. About 25 aftershocks followed in a little over an hour, the strongest estimated at magnitude 3.5.

A woman was injured when a light fixture fell on her head in a conference room at Lake Arrowhead Resort, but her injury did not appear to be serious, said a resort employee who declined to be named. She was taken to Mountains Community Hospital but did not want her condition made public, a nursing supervisor said Thursday night.

"I heard a loud rumbling sound, kind of like thunder," said Nick Brandes, 25, manager of a store in Yucaipa. "At the front, all the customers were in a panic. They were all just in a hurry to get out."

Channon Kelly, 31, was eating her lunch in downtown Los Angeles when the quake hit.

"I almost jumped out of my seat," Kelly said. "I'm starting to get freaked out. We've had so many in the last week, the one Sunday and then in Northern California. I could hear the windows rattling and feel it all at the same time."

None of Southern California Edison's 4.6 million customers lost power.

I'd be a little freaked out too. Four (different) significant quakes (not a big quake and 3 strong aftershocks) in a less than a week, that hasn't happened in California since........when?

I'm going to still chalk this one up to "It's California, stuff like that is going to happen"......for now.
Though what has happened so far is fairly rare, it's far from impossible.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Kentucky has had three small tremblors in the past month. The New Madrid fault is awakening as well. Strange for this part of the country. There were two within hours of each other yesterday.

new topics

top topics

join