It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Senior Zarqawi Associate Captured in Mosul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
U.S. forces captured a key Zarqawi associate on Tuesday according to a U.S. military spokesman. The man, Mohammed Khalif Shaiker, was a major player in the al Qaeda in Iraq organization led by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi and has been involved in many attacks against U.S. and Iraqi forces and civilians. Tips from local Iraqi people led to his arrest.

www.alertnet.org
BAGHDAD, June 16 (Reuters) - U.S. forces have detained a senior associate of Jordanian militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, a U.S. general in Iraq said on Thursday, calling the arrest a major blow to the insurgency in the northern city of Mosul.

Mohammed Khalif Shaiker, also known as Abu Talha or the emir of Mosul, was captured on Tuesday in a quiet neighbourhood of Iraq's third largest city, the U.S. military spokesman said. He said Shaiker had put up little resistance, but gave few other details about the circumstances of his arrest.

"This is a major defeat for the al Qaeda organisation in Iraq," Brigadier General Donald Alston told a news conference on Thursday, referring to the group led by Zarqawi and allied to Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network.

"He gave up without a fight despite having been quoted as saying he would never surrender."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think the noose is finally closing around Zarqawi and it's only a matter of time before he's captured. According to some sources I've seen this man never slept in the same place two nights in a row and always carried suicide devices with him to avoid capture, yet he was. It's great that Iraqi citizens are helping more and more in making these arrests.

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

[edit on 6/16/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I swear this guy must have more "senior aids" than the President of the United States! It seems like every other week we are capturing a key al Zarqawi leutenant. Sort of like all those "senior al qaida operatives" that we've never heard of until their capture. Just makes me laugh. Doesn't the media ever ask why the government never mentioned these guys to them before they were captured? If they were so high in the command structure, wouldn't there be a public manhunt for them? Who knows? Maybe there is and I just miss all of this. Maybe they are well-known in Iraq and the rest of the Middle East, and we only hear about them when they're caught. Or it could be a case of my original theory, that they are just government manufactured terrorists whose capture is used to sway public opinion during a bad news cycle!

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The nature of war is the introduction to new names. Your average american joe had never heard of Rommel, Von Rundstedt, Yamamoto or Kesselring prior to their respective 'news worthiness'.

Keep reading, stay out of the dark.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
How can you compare someone like Mohammed Khalif Shaiker to Rommel or Yamamoto? Rommel was one of the most decorated and powerful German commanders of his time. Yamamoto was the leader of Japan's military. To equate men of this stature to this thug is almost hilarious. These were major players in World War II. This guy is just some unknown associate of al Zarqawi. I read just as much as anyone about current events, the War on Terror, politics, and so on. I've never heard of this guy until he was captured. Which is the complete opposite of the men you mentioned, whom we heard of well before their demise.

Looks like you're the one who needs to emerge from the darkness, my friend.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Not in any sense to prolong verbal parrying, but the Rasputin13 response states my case better than I could.
As the Second World War unfolded, the names I cite became known to 'the average american joe'. So it is with our little Muslim friends.

Few americans were familiar with a place called Pearl Harbor on 12/6/41.

I am making no comparisons to the ultimate place in history that any of these names achieved.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
More and more these guys come off like the self glorified, punk-@ss gangs of thugs they are-dozens of "major" members, or should that be "mayja playas"?

Little turf wars by strongmen who elevate themselves thru fear and brutality. Named truly elsewhere in the world as gangsters and thugs, suddenly are named "freedom fighters" or "insurgents" when doing their trade in Iraq.

top topics

join