It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's the good ol' backward senators who didn't want to apologize for lynchings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
AND NOW! For the gift to African Americans... Those loving Senators who wish not to apolgise to over 4,000 families that had relatives killed:

The Contenders are:

Lamar Alexander (R-TN)

Robert Bennett (R-UT)

Thad Cochran (R-MS)

John Cornyn (R-TX)

Michael Crapo (R-ID)

Michael Enzi (R-WY)

Chuck Grassley (R-IA)

Judd Gregg (R-NH)

Orrin Hatch (R-UT)

Kay Hutchison (R-TX)

Jon Kyl (R-AZ)

Trent Lott (R-MS)

Richard Shelby (R-AL)

John Sununu (R-NH)

Craig Thomas (R-WY)

No suprise huh? Time to look foward to the next senate election!

EDIT: Removed caps. shortened title to fit

[edit on 16-6-2005 by RANT]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Woah... forgot the link

here: americablog.blogspot.com... ican-pro-lynching.html

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I am going to write to the two Texas senators and tell them they will not be receiving my vote because of this. I mean, there really is no good reason to abstain from apologizing for lynchings. Any official word on why they have refused to apologize?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
From what I understand, they didn't oppose it, they just didn't co-sponsor it. Mainly because they weren't there at the time.

So the outrage over this is a little exaggerated. How many people are actually going to oppose a resolution saying "lynching was bad"?

[edit on 6/16/05 by xmotex]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainJailew
Any official word on why they have refused to apologize?

I think we should all take a good guess on that one

Obvious answer

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
From what I understand, they didn't oppose it, they just didn't co-sponsor it. Mainly because they weren't there at the time.

So the outrage over this is a little exaggerated. How many people are actually going to oppose a resolution saying "lynching was bad"?

[edit on 6/16/05 by xmotex]

Easy for you to say but there are still people alive today that remember the lynchings very well

Here's a good story about a man named James Cameron who is now 91 years old now: www.thehypertexts.com... .htm

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

Apparently 16. All Republicans. How?

Oh, they find a way.

"There is no resolution of apology that we can pass today that will teach one more child to read, prevent one more case of AIDS, or stop one more violent crime," Alexander said in a statement he inserted into the Congressional Record during the apology debate.

Tennessean.com (Sen. Alexander Didn't Back Lynching Apology)

A little odd, contorted logic there, but yeah... they actively opposed. There was debate. Those not wishing to vote against, just orchestrated not being there so as to stay off the record.

Guess they were scared of being called out by Dr. Dean, who certainly appears more and more right every day.

By the way, important measures of the Civil Rights Act expire in 2007. Wonder what these Republicans will say then?

"Reaffirming our support of access to the vote by blacks and hispanics will not teach one more child to read, prevent one more case of AIDS, or stop one more violent crime."
~Future Quote by Senator Alexander

[edit on 16-6-2005 by RANT]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Hey, according to republican Spoke Man #1, Rush Limbaugh, only bad people like "Fags and Africans*" get AIDS, so why should we spend millions on curing it?(On his "To Be A Liberal" sound byte I d/l, got three versions, the longest uncut version is well, republican. Love his "To Be a Liberal, you have to think everyone is equal. I am not equal to some drug dealer african* on the street with more kids then fingers that I am paying for."

Also, dems have 350% more minorities in the Senate then the republicans, or 600% more if you don't count women as minorities. So going on about Rice or Mr. Torture Gonzalez(sp?) being proof republicans love minorities is BS, cause they were placed in power, not voted for. The only one who would have ever been in was Powell, but he was forced to resign when he wouldn't ask how high when told to jump. Also Bill CLinton had more minorities then Bush, and more firsts, like Reno.(Wait, does she count as a female?????)

*Not once does he say Black, or African-American, always African.

[edit on 16-6-2005 by James the Lesser]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dances With Angels
AND NOW! For the gift to African Americans... Those loving Senators who wish not to apolgise to over 4,000 families that had relatives killed:

That's a bit of a loaded statement. These are the loving senators who wish not to apologize for not having hate crime legislation enacted then. They won't apologize for not passing an additional lynching law on top of murder. Besides, did those legislators perform those lynchings? Oh, that's right, the criminals are now victims of society and not accountable for their actions. Maybe congress should apologize for every crime committed in the US and to every criminal who is sitting in jail right now for allowing our country to create such scum capable of the crimes they committed.

Quite frankly, I'd like to see an apology for hate crime legislation, as it continues to segregate America more and more.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Hey, according to republican Spoke Man #1, Rush Limbaugh, only bad people like "Fags and Africans*" get AIDS, so why should we spend millions on curing it?(On his "To Be A Liberal" sound byte I d/l, got three versions, the longest uncut version is well, republican. Love his "To Be a Liberal, you have to think everyone is equal. I am not equal to some drug dealer african* on the street with more kids then fingers that I am paying for."

*Not once does he say Black, or African-American, always African.

[edit on 16-6-2005 by James the Lesser]

Illustating absurdity by being absurd. I love when Rush does that! It throws liberal for a loop!

Are you equal to a drug dealer?...rapist, child molestor, murderer? Only a liberal would have to think a minute before answering.

The lynching apology was a huge waste of time. I find it offensive that Senators would waste time and taxpayer money so they can "shine". Huge publicity stunt is all that was.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Atlanta Journal has picked it up. The fact that George Allen designed it with Landrieu makes it bipartisan. All the Senators had time to vote, as shown in the piece. Also, Allen calls out Frist for being a liar about the request for the roll call vote.

Face it: Republicans know that if they can't solicit the morally reprehensible & bigoted, they don't have a chance. There are tons of rascist contributing to society; these are not trolls under bridges that are easily picked out.

[edit on 17-6-2005 by Bout Time]

new topics

top topics

join