It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introduction me and my future project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Hello!

This is my first post here at ATS forum. I'm from portugal, last year civil engineering student.

I have read this forum during last 2 months and now i want to be an active member to share and talk about different points of view. The only thing that i didn't like was some persons (kids) joking with other serious work and post fakes.

I know (i think) that in my country there isn't so much activity like in USA, but it's here where i live, what can i do?

So i was thinking and my project is something like that:

Near city where i live there's a hill, and at is top a church, from that point i can see the sea (atlantic ocean) that is +/- 19.53 Km away.

Here is the observation angle:
www.5numbers2stars.com...

Like you see, i can view a large amount of land (part of big city as oporto) and the coast (when clean sky).

Point of observation zoom:

Now a possible local for receiving and record cam signal down in the city:

The distance between the two points (+/- 2607m):

The idea is mount a cam on the top of the hill and send the signal for the base point to record and for further investigation. I don't know if is possible with not too much expensive material. I would like to have help on this. Also a program to record only when image motion should be necessary. Or you think that i can forget this project

Thanks for the attention!

(sorry my english)

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Sometimes my site server is down sorry for that, i will put the pictures on other location. Thanks

LINKS ARE UP!
[edit on 16-6-2005 by mikexyz]

[edit on 16-6-2005 by mikexyz]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
hi mikexyz,

first, welcome! it's good to see that people are doing something actively, although i don't know if your project will capture anything that will remain "unidentified" on cam.

your idea has reminded me of the "project hessdalen", to record unknown light phenomena in norway, perhaps you can get some ideas from it in case you do not already know about it.

www.hessdalen.org...

i've no idea how expensive the equipment will be, it will depend on the image quality, framerates etc. ( this will also be important for the signal transmission back to your computer ).
cheap wireless transmitting cameras are available for less then 100 euros, but the signal range is very limited. i did a quick google search and most cameras send at 2,4 ghz in a range from 30-300 meters, not enough for you case.

so the first problem will be, to find a cheap way to transmit the signal over a longer distance, or you will have to rearrange your camera and receiver station to fit into the smaller range.

the next problem i see, is the motion thing..from your pictures it looks like there are lots of green areas ( are these parks, woods or what ? ) in your planned field of view.
correctly adjusting the recording software, so it does not record every bird, car or whatever could move there, could be difficult. but i have never used such a programm, so i could be wrong here.
i can ask a friend at university, he develops a motion detection & prediction software for his master thesis, perhaps he has a good ( cheap and effective ) suggestion, but you'll have to wait till sometime next week, i'll send you a U2U in case i do not forget about it..my brain..hehe..

i would suggest, that you research first into the hardware stuff, what you can afford and will fit your requirements, if this is too expensive, think about a possibility to move both the transmitter and the receiver closer to each other, then you'll find quite cheap cameras, some have inbuild motion sensors perhaps they are good enough for your purposes.

have fun with your project

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Welcome to delurking! Do keep us posted on your project!

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Thanks Hannah for the reply.

Originally posted by Hannah
so the first problem will be, to find a cheap way to transmit the signal over a longer distance, or you will have to rearrange your camera and receiver station to fit into the smaller range.

The point is that the location of camera is great, there is no place better to do that. I look around the web and i don't found until now something for that range. Could be some type of repeater transmitter, that resends the signal at the mid of the way?

Originally posted by Hannah
the next problem i see, is the motion thing..from your pictures it looks like there are lots of green areas ( are these parks, woods or what ? ) in your planned field of view.
correctly adjusting the recording software, so it does not record every bird, car or whatever could move there, could be difficult. but i have never used such a programm, so i could be wrong here.
i can ask a friend at university, he develops a motion detection & prediction software for his master thesis, perhaps he has a good ( cheap and effective ) suggestion, but you'll have to wait till sometime next week, i'll send you a U2U in case i do not forget about it..my brain..hehe..

Yes this part of the country have much "green", but from the point of observation to the sea (+/- 19km!!) there isn't nothing higher so it's a great view point. It would be nice if you ask your friend thanks

Thanks! Until next time!

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikexyz

The point is that the location of camera is great, there is no place better to do that. I look around the web and i don't found until now something for that range. Could be some type of repeater transmitter, that resends the signal at the mid of the way?

of course, this would be technically no problem, but i haven't found any systems for this purpose. somesort of a relay station could do this, i guess you'll have to spend some time googling about this stuff

and i'll ask him, i've made a note, this should remind me about it, otherwise just write me a U2U!

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
welcome to ats excellent first post

new topics

top topics

join