It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

computer lands harrier!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Qinetiq (UK defence research) has just devloped a system that allows a STOVL aircraft to land automatically on a ship at sea without any pilot control. It has been developed for the JSF but could also be used for landing UAV's on ships.

www.qinetiq.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   
That would be great for the Harrier

I remeber when they talk about landing harriers on small ships (frigates and destroyers - the JSF could not in theory do this as it is a short take off plane - however I did see the X-35 in Hover test lift off and go to about 50ft but later in the last test of the programme befoer the pentagon deadline they tried to do a vertical takeoff and transition to forward flight the plane was only able to lift off about 6ft off the ground before it suffered from instability and the test was aborted - I wonder if they ever tried it agioan or if the weight gain has now rule out such a possibility)

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The JSF can land vertically but taking off it couldn't do it in the tests because it was overweigh. Lockheed said that by the time the aircraft was in production they would have the weigh issue solved. Don't know if they have made any progress on it though.

This system would be good for UAV’s though like someone said, especially since the US Navy is getting the X-47.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
It's a good Idea... Carry on with you're work, (to the engineers)...

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
It would be no good for landing an F-35 on a destroyer or frigates helipad however, except in an emergency in which case its very good indeed.

The F-35 would be stuck on the ship until it could be winched off again as it is not intended for VTO, it is a STOVL design.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I got an idea land the F-35 on a destroyer hook it up to a helicopter and help it get in the air then let go of the F-35 and wish for the best

top topics

join