It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Children taken Hostage in Cambodian School Siege

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
The siege is now over, leaving one child dead when police stormed the building after a standoff for several hours. Not only Cambodian children, but those from England, Ireland, America and Japan were being held to name just a few of the countries. The captors were demanding money, the equivalent of around 550.

www.sky.com
A child was killed during a siege in a Cambodian school which ended when police stormed the building.

Authorities have given no further details on the dead child. Four hostage takers were arrested following the stand-off which went on for several hours.

Around 29 nursery-age pupils were taken hostage by gunmen in the popular tourist town of Siem Reap in north-western Cambodia.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Another sickening example of how terrorists will pick on the weak and innocent to attempt to get recognition for their cause. It is very sad to see a child was killed in the siege, but one must be thankful that this didn’t end in the same way as last years school siege in Beslan, Russia.

What is worrying to an extent though is that two incidents of this nature have occurred in such a small period of time. Let us hope this is not a general trend that will continue.

Although not much is known about the captors at this time, one can infer that they are probably a native, not international group, due to their demands of £550, which to any westerner is a very small price to pay for the life of their child.

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk

[edit on 16-6-2005 by Ishes]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Just heard it on the radio. A 3 year old Australian kid is/was in there too.
I heard the terriosts had shot guns.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Canadian child killed in Cambodian hostage-taking.
Last Updated Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:19:39 EDT
CBC News

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Another sickening example of how terrorists will pick on the weak and innocent to attempt to get recognition for their cause. It is very sad to see a child was killed in the siege, but one must be thankful that this didn’t end in the same way as last years school siege in Beslan, Russia.

Took the words straight from my mouth.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   

The captors were demanding money, the equivalent of around £550.

Lol.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
lol, 550 euros... if i were them i would at least demand 20 million dollars, many people will spend this much to get their child safe... lol 550 euros

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
That would be "pounds" and not Euros. There's a big difference.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
What a sad and horrible event, I really feel for the children who had to go through this, the kids where so young

Police attacked the van, shooting two of the hostage takers dead and arresting four others. The dead child is reported to be a three-year-old Canadian boy.

The attackers shot the boy when the authorities refused to meet all of their demands, then "threatened to kill the other children one by one", said information minister Khieu Kanharith.

Im thankfully that no other children died in this attack but 1 little boy is a tragic event,

SKYNEWS

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kasra
That would be "pounds" and not Euros. There's a big difference.

how much of a difference... how much is 550 pounds in US dollars?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Thats like what, $1000?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by cownosecat
Thats like what, $1000?

Correct.

1,002.6859 United States Dollars (USD) is equal to 550 United Kingdom Pounds (GBP)

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ishes

Originally posted by cownosecat
Thats like what, $1000?

Correct.

1,002.6859 United States Dollars (USD) is equal to 550 United Kingdom Pounds (GBP)

wow... lol, ok not as much as i thought... you got to wonder why, shot one kid just to get 1000 dollars lol... where does this take place again?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It was Cambodia, read the first post.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I seriously hope they don't have human right issues protecting the hostage takers...

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Those were no terrorist.

Message received. One child=One dead billion+heir in reply.

Next.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Not every criminal act is an act of terrorsim. That term is being thrown about much too freely. This does nothing to aid understanding of world events.

The source article at Sky.com says:

It is not clear whether the hostage-taking was criminally or politically motivated.

The Sky.com article says a 3-year old Canadian boy was killed. The Guardian Unlimited article says it was a 3 year old Canadian girl. In any event, it is tragic.

Even so, please make an effort to be clear in reporting a tragic event and refrain from prematurely applying the much too broad brush of terrorism as a knee-jerk reaction to everything.

top topics

join