It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concorde Replacment!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Yes its true.

France and Japan are closing the deal at the Paris Airshow, the concorde went mach 2...and this appears to be its replacement, it will cruise at mach 2.4, have 3 times the seats of concorde which had 100, and expect it to enter service in 2015.

Business Week

BBC

The new plane will have 300 seats and cut the flight time between New York and Tokyo to six hours, reports said.

The ministry added that Japan had successfully tested an engine that could theoretically reach speeds of up to five times the speed of sound.

[edit on 16-6-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Wishes about building new SST are all around the world. LINK The other thing is, if it be really build.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
This is being discussed here too: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Coolo, it was eally a shme that the concorde stopped flying.. Good luck to everybody in the project...

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
How do they plan on reducing the Sonic Boom that these aircraft will make?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
The two countries are planning on splitting an annual investment of about 1.5 Mega-euros over the next three years. That will barely do a feasibility study. I'D love to see a supersonic transport, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Development costs? Don't even ask! Remember, when Airbus first came out with plans for updating their A330 with new engines to make it the A350, the figured the development cost at about $1.5 billion. Now that they've realized they're going to have to do more to compete with the 787, they've already upped their development estimate to $5+ billion. And that's still a derivative airplane.

I think most aerospace folks would peg the devlopment costs for an airplane of this complexity to be at least 20 billion dollars; given the recent hoo-raw from the US, the Franco-Japanese consortium would have to pony up the bucks itself.

Good luck!

But there's more than the development costs, there're recurring costs, too.

Consider this. The Concorde, because of the sonic boom, couldn't fly to half the places it needed to, and the fuel prices made it so expensive that almost no one could afford it.

Those sonic boom bans are still in effect, and the cost of aviation fuel has more than tripled since the Concorde first went into service. Except for the larger capacity of the proposed airplane, every outside factor that made the Concorde an economic failure are existing today.

This is one of the reasons my company cancelled plans for the Sonic Cruiser; and the putative SST, when it comes to cost-effectiveness development costs, and complexity, is the Sonic Cruiser on Steroids!

[edit on 16-6-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Off_The_Street
This is one of the reasons my company cancelled plans for the Sonic Cruiser

what is? I wouldn't of gone supersonic...so no boom, and it wouldn't of had afterburners going all the time like the concorde, and I dont think it would have being any loader then any other jet.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
True.

The Sonic Cruiser was designed as a high-speed subsonic plane; I was thinking about the development costs and the uncertainties of fuel costs as reasons why the Sonic Cruiser was shelved -- and these same roadblocks which inveighed against the Sonic Cruiser would, in my opinion, have even a higher impact on the development of a supersonic passenger aircraft today.

posted on May, 29 2023 @ 10:23 PM
link   
JAXA carried out drop tests in 2015 of a model of its SST design as part of the D-SEND program.

Link:
www.aero.jaxa.jp...

new topics

top topics

join