It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airship Bombers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realist05
A better use has been proposed for airships; as a relay mirror platform for airborne lasers.

not only that...they could be used for ground based lasers as well.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
these are no more then large targets for anti air craft guns and missiles
could be fun watching them being shot down

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

UK_05_XM29
I also heard somewhere that the US military has future plans for a gigantic airship with GIGANTIC lifting power. It could carry large amounts of tanks into battle (I can't remember how many).

Your thinking of the WALRUS. (it will probably lift 500 tons, but possibly 1000 tons)
Several companies are hoping to get the bid, here are a few concepts.

i like the middle and last ones, the first one looks too much like old tech, the middle one could be an light transport the last could be the super heavy transport.

The bomber idea is good but a better use of a blimp would be as a laser platform, give them a stable slow moving platform for the next gen of lasers or other future energy weapon, kinda like the c130 gunship.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Airships are silent aren't they?
I bet that's a stupid question. But are they?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The WALRUS platform is in competition with the Ekranoplane.

This is a competition where the Army now needs a new, long range, heavy load capacity lift plane. It needs to have a minimum carrying capacity.

The Ekranoplane will be huge, it is believed to have an acre for a wingspan!

I don't know which project won the competition, or if the competition is even on or not.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
These cargo airships probably wont even see combat, they are probably for transport from different bases in he U.S. or over seas. Like taking tanks and other equipment from one base to another more closer to the war theater, that way they wont see any hostile action and will be quite safe.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
Airships are silent aren't they?
I bet that's a stupid question. But are they?

no, not silent...but there are far far quieter then a jet aircraft. they have props on them...so they can't be silent, but they are quiet.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
In my opinion the airships time is over... They aren't fast enoug... Andt that tank transporter... You could easily shoot it down when it's close to the ground...

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Uhh people have been saying the same thing about Aircraft carriers, and they are still around. Sure they are getting smaller but they are still viable even though they are increadibly vulnerable. These types of ships will be similiar methinks. And plus the new materials coming out like Nano-composites will be able to make these airships much more durable, lighter and faster as well as being able to be made into almost any shape imagininable as Aerodynamics are not an issue.

With the new materials coming out shortly Sub-Orbital airships will become possible as well. But anyway I still believe the most usefull application for this technology is frieght both military and civilian.

[edit on 17-6-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   

no, not silent...but there are far far quieter then a jet aircraft. they have props on them...so they can't be silent, but they are quiet.

Oh, because I remember someone saying that when they heard the Hindenburg it was very silent and hardly made a sound.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   
There is some talk that the HAA will be capable of carrying some munitions.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 02:53 AM
link   

UK_05_XM29
I also heard somewhere that the US military has future plans for a gigantic airship with GIGANTIC lifting power. It could carry large amounts of tanks into battle (I can't remember how many).

Your thinking of the WALRUS. (it will probably lift 500 tons, but possibly 1000 tons)
Several companies are hoping to get the bid, here are a few concepts.

I think this one is pretty cool, 200 ton or 1,000 ton.

SkyCat

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join