It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sign this petition to keep big brother off your back!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
congress is proposing a new law called the "Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act".

If the law is passed, "The law would force all new personal computers and digital home entertainment devices sold in the United States to have government-approved "policeware" built-in.

This policeware would restrict your use of copyrighted material on these devices -- including music files and CD's, video clips, DVD's, e-books, and more."

WHO COULD GO TO JAIL?

" You, if you're one of the millions of Americans who uses your computers to burn music CD's, listen to MP3's, share video files, etc. You'd face up to five years in federal prison and a $500,000 fine.

Think you'd be able to get around the law by removing the policeware from your personal computer? Think again -- anyone who defies the government by disabling or tampering with the policeware on their own computer, in the privacy of their own home or business, would also face five years in the slammer.

Since alternative operating systems like Linux and FreeBSD would most likely refuse to incorporate government policeware into their code, users of these open-source systems would also be eligible for hard time. "-www.stoppoliceware.org...

Please sign this petition to keep policeware out of all the computers

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Just purely for my own wondering... i have to ask... does anyone know if these online petitions have ever been effective? Not criticizing this one at all, I'm just trying to figure out what, if any, purpose these things end up accomplishing. (they get sent out all the time)

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
Just purely for my own wondering... i have to ask... does anyone know if these online petitions have ever been effective? Not criticizing this one at all, I'm just trying to figure out what, if any, purpose these things end up accomplishing. (they get sent out all the time)

The have an effect. You add your name to a list of people who are anti-government, and then the list is sent to the government.

I like paper petitions. At least with those, if they made a list they would have to hire a data entry person to put it into an electronic meduim.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 04:16 PM
link   
DONE! I think EVERYBODY at this website should sign this one! Even you banned guys out there lurking!

Hell, ESPECIALLY you banned guys! If I flmed like some of you do I wouldn't want ANYBODY being able to find me...

PEACE...
m...

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 04:18 PM
link   
TANSTAAFL
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

Now, the culture of rampant file sharing will effect everyone. Did you really think the publishers wouldn't react to protect their revenue stream?

Stupid.

Selfish.

(DISCLAIMER: I'm not for this law/technology at all, only mindfull that there is cause-and-effect that the file sharers did not consider when finding that poorly ripped copy of P-Diddy.)

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 04:43 PM
link   
......That is sought in these sorts of legislation,is to get people to allow the government to tell them how they can use their PRIVATE PROPERTY,which is in effect allowing the government to nulliify what rights you have left,in allowing them to nullify your rights you are agreeing to alter your current contract which you have no idea even exists.All you have to do is allow it to happen and it becomes a contract.I wish the FED would hurry up and foreclose on this place.
Weehee done been tricked.

-thrash,sob,slurp,wimper

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 04:51 PM
link   
It wont happen. They wont be able to incorporate it. And if they do...how are they going to be able to stop us. They cant.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by uNBaLaNCeD
use their PRIVATE PROPERTY,which is in effect allowing the government to nulliify ...

Sorry... you're wrong. The music, movies, etc. are not your private property. If you bought them, you purchased the right to use them under certain conditions. But intellectual property belongs to the person who created it.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by William

use their PRIVATE PROPERTY,which is in effect allowing the government to nulliify ...

Sorry... you're wrong. The music, movies, etc. are not your private property. If you bought them, you purchased the right to use them under certain conditions. But intellectual property belongs to the person who created it.

I think he meant the actual hardware applications like computer components.

I don't like the idea of this anymore than I like the idea of chips being implanted in everyone.

Things just keep on getting worse.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Well we're on the subject.

Did anyone know they have been putting Black Box Recorders in newer model cars?

They started doing this and didn't even take the time to tell the consumers. Apparently they only start recording if a dramatic event takes place like you slam on the brakes, but it was also said they are capable of recording more than just speed and braking. I wonder what this 'more' would be.

[Edited on 11-8-2003 by Total Enslavement]

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 05:29 PM
link   
They have been installing black boxes in cars for quite some time,most cars under 7 years old can be tracked by satellite.The govschmucks claim that it is to track stolen vehicles and locate accidents and so forth,I think it is just a way to get the infrastructure in place to dole out speeding tickets in the mail,tracked by satellite,heck,you can already get a speed reading on a cellphone as it passes from one tower's range into the next one .

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 05:40 PM
link   
TotalEnslavement,I am talking about the equipment with the added police ware,if you think that it is all good to assume that if you are not doing anything wrong that it is ok for them to take a look anyway,that's wrong,there are SIX MILLION+ laws on the books,if they want to find something they will,it is best not to talk to them at all.by allowing this policeware into your house,you would be encouraging those who are less honest,like burglars,to make a huge profit stealing this stuff and reselling it to those who would use it illegally,can you imagine that,just like cellphone cloning....these things come up with the people writing the legislation knowing all too well what will happen later on,after all,if they got it right they would be out of a job.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 05:44 PM
link   

TotalEnslavement,I am talking about the equipment with the added police ware,if you think that it is all good to assume that if you are not doing anything wrong that it is ok for them to take a look anyway,that's wrong,there are SIX MILLION+ laws on the books,if they want to find something they will,it is best not to talk to them at all.by allowing this policeware into your house,you would be encouraging those who are less honest,like burglars,to make a huge profit stealing this stuff and reselling it to those who would use it illegally,can you imagine that,just like cellphone cloning....these things come up with the people writing the legislation knowing all too well what will happen later on,after all,if they got it right they would be out of a job.

Huh?

Why did you direct that at me? I never said anything about it being ok guy.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I misread where the intellectual property comment actually originated,it came from William,sorry.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I misread where the intellectual property comment actually originated,it came from William,sorry.

It happens.
Although, I don't believe William thinks it's ok either. He was just explaining the legal side of it.

I think everyone can agree that them wanting to invade out private and personal lives is a bad thing.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Is that it is already a lot worse than people most realise.

new topics

top topics

join