learn more

Woman ordered to marry the rapist.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

An Indian woman who was allegedly raped by her father-in-law is now being ordered by a Muslim council of community elders to marry him.
The council says under Islamic law the rape has nullified her marriage, according to media reports.

But a top Muslim body in India has rejected the argument saying it is not valid under Sharia (Islamic) law.

It says the council was not authorised to give such a verdict and added that the alleged rapist should be punished.

Reports say the 28-year-old woman was raped when she was alone at home in Charthawal, in the norther Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.

When the incident came to the notice of the council, it ordered that she marry her father-in-law and change her relationship with her husband to that between a mother and son.

It also ordered her to leave her home and stay away for seven month and 10 days to become "pure".

boy, lucky we dont have to deal with it here, man ordering a woman to marry the one who raped her, wat kind of law or culture or ethics is dat?

[edit on 15-6-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
There were similar cultural laws like this in many older societies. The Vikings, for instance, had this set up to where if a rapist raped a single woman, they would marry and he would be forced to care for her financially. If a rapist raped a married woman, he would be hung and the husband of the victim would inherit anything the rapist had. However, the key to all this is that these customs were changed. This story is unfortunate to hear and continues to show us a huge difference in the customs of the West and the East.

[edit on 15-6-2005 by Wiley_Wonka]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
And Islam is a "religion of peace." It's stories like these that should wake up the tulip-walking liberals to the kind of enemy we are facing everyday at home and abroad. These people are living in another century!

And don't get me started on the female genitalia mutilation that they often practice... Just plain cruel.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I agree. Although every culture and religion has issues, fundamentalist Islam is dangerous and destructive to the global environment. My issue isn't with the Muslim community, as one of my best friends is a conservative Muslim who is well respected in the community. The only reason he is a conservative Muslim, however, is because he does not practice all the things from the Qur'an his parents do.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Hmm...

Reminds me of the people in this country who are against abortion even in the case of rape and incest. I guess we're not so different after all. Oh well once again it just goes to show you that laws based on outdated two thousand year old customs just dont make sense.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
That is really very sad thing to hear, who gives credit to those courts, these courts should be baned and shut down once and for all, it is enough stupidity, basta.
If someone is thousand years behind that is telling us of mental capabilities of such.
Both ways things are bad, I am very dissapointed whenever hear those stories in how we still can not beat ghosts of the past, zombies of the primitivism inside our very society.
And it is plain ridiculous, rapists to be married to victims.
Very sad that someone even callled it some law or something like that.

alot of spelling errors due to the shock!

This is just fight for the iurisdiction imho, but on the other hand all countries have some stupid law or two.

[edit on 15-6-2005 by MankoW]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman
Reminds me of the people in this country who are against abortion even in the case of rape and incest... Oh well once again it just goes to show you that laws based on outdated two thousand year old customs just dont make sense.

just so that the truth be told, abortion was under immense debate in the early christian church. in fact, a large portion practiced abortion. read up on st. augustine and the hot issues of his day.

besides, to think that man has changed much in recorded history is to ignore history itself. yeah we have luxuries now, but has the nature of man ever truly been altered?
daved

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I agree that this is a disgusting example of extremism... But keep in mind the original post does say that a higher muslim council has decreed that this ruling is unjust...

I agree in Islam there are some extremists who wish to keep the old, unfair, ways... But keep in mind the majority of muslims do not agree with rules like this... even those who are strict muslims who practise the religion by the Quran, like my mother, would disagree with this.

Most people dont understand Sharia law isnt set by the Quran, they are cultural laws that have evolved by opressive islamic societies, mainly run by men.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX

Most people dont understand Sharia law isnt set by the Quran, they are cultural laws that have evolved by opressive islamic societies, mainly run by men.

See and this is really the problem with horrible things that happen due to religions/cultures. It's usually not because of the foundation of the religion, but the bad is always brought about because someone twists and abuses the foundation and uses it for bad/evil. I contribute the loss of spirituality in the world today to the Catholic Church doing this in Western history.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
And Islam is a "religion of peace." It's stories like these that should wake up the tulip-walking liberals to the kind of enemy we are facing everyday at home and abroad. These people are living in another century!

And don't get me started on the female genitalia mutilation that they often practice... Just plain cruel.

Such ignorance. This is an idealogy, a culture, with religion a part of it. And I don't think you can call any religion a religion of peace. And if peace is what you seek, you sure don't show it well.

And many societies practice female genitalia mutilation, not just Muslim countries. We even see it to a lesser degree in the United States, with piercings.

[edit on 16-6-2005 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Heh yeah realy, Ive said it before and il say it again

Islam is a relgion of peace, If your a muslim

If your anything other then a muslim you are an infidel and must die.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
"It also ordered her to leave her home and stay away for seven month and 10 days to become "pure".

how do u become pure after a rape? wat do they mean in their view of pure?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Reminds me of the people in this country who are against
abortion even in the case of rape and incest.

How on earth could it possibly remind anyone of that?
Being anti-abortion is compassionate for both the mother and child.
Being forced to marry your rapist is cruel and ignorant.

Being against abortion - is being FOR the woman and the unborn women.

Abortion leaves not just physical but emotional scars as well as
dead children. Encouraging mothers to murder their children isn't
helping them. Why should the child suffer a cruel death just because
of how he or she was concieved? Being against abortion is being
compassionate towards the mother and child.

Being forced to marry a rapist is not even in the same ball park as
people being against abortion in the cases of rape or incest.

ADOPTION is always an option.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I agree that this is a disgusting example of extremism... But keep in mind the original post does say that a higher muslim council has decreed that this ruling is unjust...

I agree in Islam there are some extremists who wish to keep the old, unfair, ways... But keep in mind the majority of muslims do not agree with rules like this... even those who are strict muslims who practise the religion by the Quran, like my mother, would disagree with this.

u get my above vote..it is nice to hear from a muslim with some humanity(after reading SS`s rants).and your mother would also disagree with this sentence??
excellent..there is hope for my children after all
thanks specialasian

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heratix

u get my above vote..it is nice to hear from a muslim with some humanity(after reading SS`s rants).and your mother would also disagree with this sentence??
excellent..there is hope for my children after all
thanks specialasian

Thank you heratix... just FYI, i dont consider myself islamic as such anymore, i figured all the major religions preach the same foundation... be a good person... so instead of pledging allegience to one of the spin offs of this message... i just obey the message... I just dont like people bashing any religion when they dont fully understand it.

I actually showed my mum the article when i got home and she flipped. She thought it was disgusting that this council claims that it represents islamic law. Its the strict non-fundamentalist muslims that hate the extremeists the most... yes even more than the bigots who know nothing of the religion... why? because the moderates and non fundamentalist muslims get a bad name because of a few extremists... and the bigots who dont look past what the media presents them hate all muslims because of the acitons of a few.

But once again i mush re-iterate, as much as i defend the religion, i am not defending this council ruling of sharia law

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Dude, check your bible! God recommends exactly the same:

"If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silvers, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days." (Deuteronomy 22:28-29)

Female genital mutilation is not a part of islam, although practicised in a number of African mainly islamic countries. It is also done by christian/animist groups in African countries. It is more of a cultural than a religious thing.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
It reminds me of abortion for the simple fact that in both cases the woman is being forced into a permanent domestic interaction with the rapist against her will. The logic behind each the two cases come from the same source. In fact the logic behind forcing marriage makes more sense then mandatory child bearing. They were just taking things to their logical conclusion.

This is probably a society where abortion is illegal even in the case of rape. Now you've already mandated a woman to bear the man's child wouldnt it make sense to force the man who impregnated her to care for the child? I mean should he just be let off scottfree without taking responsibility for his child? Its not like this a society with a strong legal system where she can sue him for child support. The only option the society would have is forcing marriage. Heck thats the way they did things in the bible days why not now right?

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

This is probably a society where abortion is illegal even in the case of rape. Now you've already mandated a woman to bear the man's child wouldnt it make sense to force the man who impregnated her to care for the child? I mean should he just be let off scottfree without taking responsibility for his child? Its not like this a society with a strong legal system where she can sue him for child support. The only option the society would have is forcing marriage. Heck thats the way they did things in the bible days why not now right?

hang on now...its the woman who was violated(against her will)and she not only has to marry the rapist she has no say in a punishment for him!!

do they have some thing against women..couldn`t they make him her personal slave and she could hire him out to employees who then pay her the cash he would earn..she could treat him as she wished as by commiting the crime he has elected to live outside of the law(which also means she could be nice to him..it`s her choice).why hasn`t she got a say in this..why cant she just say"i dont want to marry him"????

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
That is so cruel and inhumane. Why punish the victim even further? She didn'tmake him rape her. He should bare the shame and punishment.

They should order him to have his wang chopped off or be castrated. I bet there would be a whole lot less rapist out there if the punishment fit the crime.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
It's inhumane and cruel. And people wonder why there is such a dislike for Muslims and their religious beliefs. Gee, could this be the reason??? He rapes her then gets to marry her, while she has to live with it. And they call their religion "peaceful"?? Kinda makes you wonder what they would be like if they were a religion of hate!!

<<   2 >>

join