It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Future of Handguns

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Not a problem, just check out the new Smith & Wesson .500 hand cannon.

Forget the .500 S&W, I want the new 460 XVR

(from the S&W site)
-2330 FPS/200 Grain! The Highest Velocity Revolver in the World
-2400 ft/lbs! The Most Powerful .45 Caliber Revolver in the World
-If You Zero its Sights at 200 Yards, You Will Bag Your Buck with a Center Hold. 0-250 Yards with No Hold Over! Just Center It and Fire. The 460XVR will Do The Rest
-Gain Twist Rifled Barrel for Superb Accuracy
-Lighter Loads That The 460 Will Also Fire Include .45 Colt and .454 Casull
-Incredibly Low Perceived Recoil For All Loads

But anyway, back to the point...As rifles get lighter and more capable, the need for a handgun becomes obsolete in my opinion. Maybe as a backup if you are out of ammo with your rifle, but that's really it

[edit on 17-6-2005 by zhangmaster]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I agree with Zhang, the Pistol is only needed for the following:

-Backup for Snipers.
-Sidearm for Officers, Deskjob type people.
-Security personel, they are usually civilian these days.

Even those can be replaced by P90 and MP-7 type PDW's.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Griff

Police officers are trained to shoot the centre of seen body mass in order to stop the threat. That means that the thread against them has ceased, regardless of whether the suspect is dead or alive. NO police are trained to shoot to kill. When the danger towards the police officer is no llonger present because the suspect is down but not dead the police will use other otions to deal with them, no walk in and shot them again to make sure they're dead. My qualifications to make this statement? Police firearms and tactics instructor.

[edit on 16-6-2005 by Darth Griff]

The point being that you don't train them to shoot to wound which was the original statement.

I'm sure you'll agree that shooting COM tends to have death as a handy by-product.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T

Originally posted by Darth Griff

Police officers are trained to shoot the centre of seen body mass in order to stop the threat. [...] NO police are trained to shoot to kill. [...]

[edit on 16-6-2005 by Darth Griff]

The point being that you don't train them to shoot to wound which was the original statement.

I'm sure you'll agree that shooting COM tends to have death as a handy by-product.

I never said that. All I said was that a police officer´s duty is not to kill a suspect but to stop the threat (which MIGHT include killing the suspect) as was explained by Darth Griff. I dont know the US legal stance on this, but in fact in many countries a police officer has to attend a court hearing EVERY time he/she uses a gun, and especially when someone is killed by a police gun during an encounter.

Why? Because death is never a "handy by-product" as you described it. The government has to care for the well-being of every citizen, even against self-inflicted harms (i,e, suicide), and the police as part of the executive has the same goals.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
i think the the future handguns will be either the handgun that shoots 1 million rounds per minute or somthing like the Mk.23 with silencer and laser aiming device...

pictures of handguns and information (most of them are old but its the pic of the socom i was talking about)

anyway i think that the future handgun will be something with a punch good range good accuracy and something that weighs a lil wight

top topics

<< 1   >>

join