It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Fines Woman for Being 'Human Shield'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I read more than i post, but from whay i have resurched in ATS is that the CIA and all these things about Osama and Sadam being trained by CIA and stuff like that..
Shouldnt they pay aswell from there crimes in helping a "Terrorist"???
Shouldnt your president go to court for giving weapons to Iran and Iraq???

If im wrong please let me know

Guerilla

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Yes Guerilla,they should be held accountable for their acts,but they will never be held accountable because of executive priviledge,the only catch is that priveledges are revokable,let's just hope someone revokes theirs.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   

As they were undeterred by the presence of human shields however, she didnt help the enemy .. no treason

Haha! Touche' my friend!

Of course, the attempt to commit treason, is equally an offense. For example, if you got caught trying to sell secrets to the Chinese, but never quite pulled it off, you'd still be in a lot of trouble, eh?

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Wait, she commits treason, only fined 10,000$?????

I thought treason ot the death penalty? Well?

She left this nation to help the enemy, that is treason.

She did no worse then Benidict Arnold, they both helped the enemy in the time of war, theyh both went against their country, they both commited treason.

The women should be sent back. Why? Well, if she loves the country of Iraq so much as to commit treason, then she should stay there.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
Monkey, I said killing animals was a differnet topic. But if you want to include them it's fine with me. But I was talking about people, I thought I made that clear?
And yes, killing other people is a matter of perspective, which is what I was asking, and obviously you think it's ok and I don't. I'm glad you're going to do things whether I like it or not also, I never told you what to do in the first place. I asked if you think it's ok to kill other people or not. That is all, plain and simple! And yes you were making it complicated.
If you say, yes it's ok to kill people. That is your choice.
If you say, no it's not ok to kill people. Your choice.
But if you say both, because there are certain reasons, because of (put any reason here). Just admit you think it's ok to kill other people and stop trying to justify the act of doing it. And don't get mad at me either I'm just asking you a question to discuss a topic.

lol unlike other people on here i am not easily angered. fear not.

you asked a fairly open ended question though. i cannot give JUST a yes or a no. some killing is justified, other killings are not. so the answer is still yes and no. if someone is trying to kill me i am not going to stand there and let them do it. i am going to do whate it takes to stop them which includes killing them if necessary. that largely depends on the situation. you're trying to get a simple answer to a not so simple problem and it doesnt work. killing for fun is wrong but killing for meat is ok. killing to take land from others is wrong but killing others to free people from an evil dictator is ok. the killing of innocent people is never ok IMO. these aremore simplified answer than i wanted to give you but since you couldnt grasp the concept that it depends on the situation i have had to make this post to clarify myself to you. i truly hope you understand what i have been saying.

IF we wanted to we CAN say all of this or that is wrong but does that really make it so? can you really apply over simplified blanket answers to complicated issues?

i never denied that i thought killing was ok. it just depends and pay close attention now....IT DEPENDS ON THE SITUATION!!! and i have nothing to justify to you or anyone else on this board but there are reasons for everything we do and AGAIN, depending on the situation killing someone is or is not justified in killing someone else.

i'm just not going to give generalized answers to complex issues. never have and i never will. you dont like this, sorry about your luck. life is not that simple, never has been.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 04:46 PM
link   
All I can say is this broad is guilty of nothing except suicidal tendancies.

As far as treason goes, nix, nada. Using ones body to take a few rounds is not engaging in fincial transactions with Iraq, nor is it aiding the enemy. I dont think, that if there were any enemies in the building she was protercting, that US troops would have even blinked as to firing on it. They fired on the hotel with journalists under the impression that it harbored snipers. Weve come along way from cringing at shooting kids with bombs on thier back. She would have been killed, and the US troops not guilt of murder, they were doing thier job. She was acting on her belief.

I dont see what the problem is. She has the right to live and die as she choses. She choses to become a human shield, with the possibility to die, and thus, US troops are under no obligation to preserve her life if she is defending a building infested with snipers.

Thus, the charges are bull#, unconstotutional, and pure bull#.

More a drive to totalitarianism.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 05:19 PM
link   
The U.S is using these laws to prosecute a group of its own citizens for dissent.
The people who went to Iraq mostly lived with ordinary Iraqis in the cities whilst they were there. It's not as if they where strapping themselves to tanks or military bases or anything.
They where there simply to make a point.

The U.S government is basically charging them with visiting a country they intended to declare war on. Since when was it a crime for Americans to visit another country for a protest?

What they gain from a prosecution is a clear message sent to the American people that dissent will not be tolerated. It doesn't have to be spelt out, but the psychological effect on people would be worth it.

Now it�s easy to dismiss it when you don't agree with the protestors anyway, but what happens when you do?... and by then they have a precedent?

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Hopefully, it will inspire more dissent. Thats what we need, more blatant violations of the constitution.

Hell, id go to Iraq myself just to annoy the hell out of em and have them exile or imprison me if I had any money to go. Trouble is, there just dont seem to be many flights to bagdad comming out of Seattle these days

Hm.......Iran might be our next target. maybe ill hit day labor jobs every day to save up for a ticket, then go over to Iran and hang out in the hills for a while. No human shield, just me and maybe a goat for food. then let them arrest me.for what, free travel? i wasnt being a human shield. I wasnt buying anything in iran or aiding its gov. I just went there to...hang out! vacation! experiment with my new goat only diet!

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Its a silly case & their actions are not ones I'd choose, but how many of them do you think had any real intentions or capability of doing anything but make tits of themselves?
I'll bet myself most were the usual rich dimwitted twats with nothing to do but travelling to Iraq is pretty much all they did. I mean did you hear many reports of their antics once the war had started? Who cares if they want to go or not they should still be able to choose. There are other ways to get there than plane by the way...

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 12:32 AM
link   
To bad she didn't just get blown to smithereens

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 01:33 AM
link   

SARASOTA, Fla. - A retired schoolteacher who went to Iraq to serve as a "human shield" against the U.S. invasion is facing thousands of dollars in U.S. government fines, which she is refusing to pay.

Well, Think about why. Would you pay those fines if you merely wanted to prevent a loss of life?

The U.S. Department of the Treasury said in a March letter to Faith Fippinger that she broke the law by crossing the Iraqi border before the war. Her travel to Iraq violated U.S. sanctions that prohibited American citizens from engaging in "virtually all direct or indirect commercial, financial or trade transactions with Iraq."

As far as I can see it, if she went over there to voice her opinion and make a stand ofr her beliefs. The word 'virtualy' is only used to that they can interpret it anyway they wish and basicly make an example of her. After all, would YOU want the citsens of a country you ran to be protesting what you were doing? Of course not, It's bad publicity.

She and others from 30 countries spread out through Iraq to prevent the war. She spent about three months there. Only about 20 of nearly 300 "human shields" were Americans, she said.

Fippinger, who returned home May 4, is being fined at least $10,000, but she has refused to pay. She could face up to 12 years in prison.

Breaking the law is breaking the law. Plain and simple. We may not agree with the law, but either way...these are the rules we have and since we are not in power, we must abide by these rules. No, it's NOT fair. Not at all. But she did what she did. I respect and support the refusal to not pay these fines. But for what she has done...to stand up for her beliefs...I feel that is more noble than anything else in this world. If she must go to prison, she will be protesting the injustices this country commits on a daily basis.

But either way, what it all boils down to is this: Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

That's my 2 cents. Don't like it? Too bad. But feel free to debate me on this.

[Edited on 19-8-2003 by JamesLimelight]

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:37 AM
link   
... That lady is actually dumber than Bush!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join