It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Your Connection Speed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
If you don't know, you can find out by gettting a free account here:

myspeed.visualware.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I'm on Cablevision's Optimum Online service here in NY. 10Mbps capable connection. I also have a strong feeling my upload speed has been capped.. and it's reflected in the chart below.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

[edit on 6/15/05 by prophetmike]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Always a good thing to know - Something I don't check often enough...

Anyone know what Max Pause is? Is that large of a number good or bad?

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Damn, enron... what service do you have? Is that one of those FIOS-type connections or something? Let me know... heh.

My speeds have dropped since I got the service almost a year ago... I used to be close to 10Mbps at around 9.2-9.7 and I've dropped back to 5.4-6.6 or so... and with the upload supposedly capped... it's poop.

The only thing is... this is the best service in the area.. the next best is Verizon DSL... and that's like 4Mbps MAX I think... I'll just see what happens.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by prophetmike
Damn, enron... what service do you have? Is that one of those FIOS-type connections or something? Let me know... heh.

Heh....Well - This is my work connection here at FSU
I'm pretty sure it's a T1...By the looks of that graph though, maybe it's a T2...

I'll see how my Sprint DSL home connection stacks up, but I already know it's probably sub-par

---------------------------------

But what's the real question here?

[edit on 6/15/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
You'll find max. pause defined below:

At the speed your running, I doubt that a half second pause would be as noticeable as it might be at, say, 56kb.

[edit on 05/6/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
You'll find max. pause defined below...

Ah yes....You mean staring me right in the face on the front page.....

:bnghd:

Well - Here's my home connection...As I mentioned before - Pales in comparison...

Looks like you've been feeding yours some Wheaties PM....lol

[edit on 6/15/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I'm on Comcast Cable. It was just recently bumped from 3Mbs to 4Mbs. Having high-speed internet has really opened up a lot more possiblities that either I had to forgo or I had to work around by multitasking.

I don't game or anything, but downloading video clips and whatnot is now painless, not to mention my daily downloads of virus definitions.

Six Mbs seems fantastic, but I have to wonder if that is beyond the point of diminishing returns. Most of the slowdowns I experience are server related.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Mine is pretty fair. They are a bit stingy with the upload speed, but it works well. I even use voice over IP instead of the usual phone company. No complaints here.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I'm on 1.5Mb DSL with 512kb upstream. Given my ISPs current configuration the maximum possible for DSL is 8mb down and 1mb up, but in the future its going to be upped to a theoretical limit of 22mb down
The upside to DSL is that unlike cable you get all your bandwidth to yourself; once other people in your neighborhood get added into cable your speed is effectively split between you adn the neighbors. I'll have to run a speed test at work once, its worth it to see the lines run

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I'm on Comcast Cable. It was just recently bumped from 3Mbs to 4Mbs. Having high-speed internet has really opened up a lot more possiblities that either I had to forgo or I had to work around by multitasking.

I don't game or anything, but downloading video clips and whatnot is now painless, not to mention my daily downloads of virus definitions.

Six Mbs seems fantastic, but I have to wonder if that is beyond the point of diminishing returns. Most of the slowdowns I experience are server related.

OMG Grady you're on Comcast me too!

4mbps rocks!

How come you're gettin 4.25?

[edit on 6/17/2005 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Somethings messed up I can't edit my last post. Well, I can edit it but when I type or delete nothing happens.

So here's my results:

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat

OMG Grady you're on Comcast me too!

4mbps rocks!

How come you're gettin 4.25?

Small world, huh! I think the better question is why your quality of service is 99% and mine is 96%. Maybe it's that max. pause figure.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Well by my results I guess I should stop complaining, got 99 percent and I thought that my DSL was to slow.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Same ISP as prophetmike's but with a ethernet connection heh

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Ya know Grady, the max. pause reflects how far away from the Comcast servers you are. So that must mean you're somewhere in Minnesota or Wisconsin about 48 miles from St. Paul? Am I right?

I'm in River Falls, about 35 miles or so from St. Paul if that helps.

I'm still jealous that you're getting 4.25 and I'm at 4.19.

By the way it says I can download 100 MB in 3 minutes, but in reality I downloaded Americas Army (~756 MB) in 35 minutes. Clocked it once.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
Ya know Grady, the max. pause reflects how far away from the Comcast servers you are. So that must mean you're somewhere in Minnesota or Wisconsin about 48 miles from St. Paul? Am I right?

Actually, I'm in Albuquerque, NM, but you were close
. Here's a pretty good explanation of bandwidth.

www.pcpitstop.com...

[edit on 05/6/17 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I signed up for a 4mb connection

top topics

join