It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Released Guantanamo Bay prisoners fighting in Iraq says US Attorney general

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
With all the talk of the Koran abuse and how Guantanamo Bay should be closed, please read this. THis is the reason they should be held...

A dozen prisoners released from Guantanamo Bay have returned to "the battlefield" to fight against the United States, U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said on Wednesday.

"There are several people that we have released that we know have come back and fought against America because they have been recaptured or killed on the battlefield," he said after meetings in Brussels with European Union officials.

He said 12 people may have been recaptured or killed.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Vice-President Dick Cheney Have recently come under fire for the camp and recieved heavy criticism in Europe where activists decry the length of time inmates have been held and say prisoners' rights to a fair trial have been ignored.

There are approx 520 prisoners from more than 40 countries at Guantanamo, which was opened inJanuary 2002 during the U.S.-led war in Afghanistan where most of the detainees were captured after the Sept. 11 attacks.

Seems to me this proves why it is there, and hopefully people will realize who is held in those cells.

www.reuters.com.../topNews

[edit on 15-6-2005 by esdad71]

[edit on 15-6-2005 by esdad71]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
oops sombody made a mistake, i wouldnt be surprise if Osama was captured and put in Gitmo and then released because he dont like being tortured and he comes back to kill more Americans.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Nope, he is alive and well in either Pakistan or Las Vegas...

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
After being locked up in that place falsely, I am in no way surprised they want some payback.

Did anyone expect anything else?

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
After being locked up in that place falsely, I am in no way surprised they want some payback.

Falsely? If they are in turn shooting at coalition forces now, how can you say they were there falsely? It is more likely it was a mistake to release them. Or are you saying its ok to shoot somebody because they released you after they thought you may be innocent? Your ideals are twisted.

This is a perfect example of leftwing pressure resulting in more dead Americans.

I think we should look at this more positively: Now we don’t have to worry about how we treat them, now we can just shoot them.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

Falsely? If they are in turn shooting at coalition forces now, how can you say they were there falsely? It is more likely it was a mistake to release them. Or are you saying its ok to shoot somebody because they released you after they thought you may be innocent? Your ideals are twisted.

This is a perfect example of leftwing pressure resulting in more dead Americans.

I think we should look at this more positively: Now we don’t have to worry about how we treat them, now we can just shoot them.

They were released without charges, if that doesn't suggest "falsely" I don't know what does. In fact if you read the article, it admits that people are not being treatd fairly and they are trying to change that through evaluation. So your opinion that they were likely released by accident doesn't follow what is being said in the piece. Frankly it is becoming common(suggesting in your case) that arabs/muslims and people of middle eastern origin are guilty untill proven innocent.

My ideals are fine, from your previous posts we can see yours are more than twisted. Do not attack me, you will not get a similar response. I never said it was ok to shoot someone, unlike you just have in your post above.

This is another example of why this war on terror is creating more enemies than it is defeating.

[edit on 15-6-2005 by Kriz_4]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Kriz: You ASSUME they were innocent. Now that they are shooting at people, they clearly WERE NOT innocent, as they were most likely shooting before as well.

The you make a statement that implies its ok. Thats twisted. You ever consider they are guilty? No, of course not, that would go against your hatred of the USA.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
More rubbish spews from your mouth, show me where I have shown hatred for the US. You can't.

I have also nowhere said it is ok for them to be now shooting at coalition troops. I only said did anyone expect anything else. What did you expect? What would you do in their shoes?

I have edited my above post, I suggest you read it and the article again.

[edit on 15-6-2005 by Kriz_4]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Also this goes greatly against all human nature. We have inmates on death row that were released due to DNA evidence, and they didn't go out and murder someone because they were mad at the US. Israelis in Nazi death camps didn't try to kill all the Germans. They would pursue action civilly under the law, or go back to their families and help them and appreciate life a lot more.

Death row prisoners are treated far worst. Nazi death camps are thousands of times worst. And still those people who are inncocent stay peaceful.

Read Man's Search for Meaning to see how people react to real torture.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Quite right, if I was innocent and abused like they were, Id go straight back to Iraq and try to pick off as many US soldiers as possible. The irony is thsoe camps probably create more terrorists than they detain.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
i guess we could release Osama bin laden because hes innocent if he ever went to Gitmo and he became mad and decided to get revenge for imprisoning him, but then he's already mad

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedWhiteandBlood
Israelis in Nazi death camps didn't try to kill all the Germans.

I think you'll find that Israel didn't exist until 1948.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I read the AP article about this earlier. In that one, it states that the US has released over 230 people from Gitmo, so that is approximately 5% of the people who were released that they are talking about.

So, approximately 12 have gone back to the battlefield, over 218 haven't. The numbers seem fairly overwhelming, just not in the direction being indicated by the Reuters article.

Gonzales said he thought about a dozen people released from Guantanamo had later been killed or captured “on the battlefield“ fighting against the United States.

“We can’t release them and have them go back to fight against America,” he told reporters after talks with the European Union.

The U.S. has freed over 230 detainees from Guantanamo since the camp was set up for “enemy combatants,” after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the United States.

U.S.: Gitmo prisoners return to fight

A problem yes, but not as large as it is being made out to be, in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   

well pointed out

after being locked because they were in the wronge place at the wronge time and kept away from civilisation for a long time anyone would want pay back.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
This whole thing would be avoided if only we had a policy of TAKE NO PRISONERS. To be fair we should broadcast a warning that all combatants will be killed on the battlefield and that we will no longer take prisoners or accept surrenders.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
What makes you think the other 200 or so are not fighting the US right now? We just have not killed them and identified them yet. It shows that the men that were released and then subsequently died in firefights are dangerous. Remember, they are fighting on the side that is killing Iraqi civilians everyday as well as over 1700 American soldiers.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
Quite right, if I was innocent and abused like they were, .

why do you and others run with the abuse line? it has never been proven as fact, why so quick to accept what they say? there are as many who say they are treated well as there are who claim abuse so how can you even know who is lying or not? and not all are innocent, noone except the soldiers knows who was captured during a battle or from a terrorist camp or while setting up a roadside bomb or during a failed suicide bomb or who wasnt, its a pow camp, most were captured during what i said above and its their word against the people who imprisoned them, you dont know whos lying.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
So, approximately 12 have gone back to the battlefield, over 218 haven't. The numbers seem fairly overwhelming, just not in the direction being indicated by the Reuters article.

It only means the remaining 218 haven't been recaptured or killed yet. The numbers will surely rise over time.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
This whole thing would be avoided if only we had a policy of TAKE NO PRISONERS. To be fair we should broadcast a warning that all combatants will be killed on the battlefield and that we will no longer take prisoners or accept surrenders.

Well ok, I understand where you are coming from.

However, the humans held in Guantanamo were not all (in fact most), taken as combatants. They were not even on the "battlefield".

Liberation seems to have been confused with all out war and destruction by some.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
were not all (in fact most), taken as combatants. .

thats not proven, how can you claim such a thing with no proof?

[edit on 15-6-2005 by namehere]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join